• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Having been the owner of Singer sewing machine, in my experience they were superb. Hopefully the cars were too. Viv.

Hi Viv; yes the old singers was a good reliable car and robust in manufacturing
and on the subject of the name of singers and there sewing machines
they to was a good make and brillient sewing machine
last week i was in upton on seven and in the little town it is there was an old and is still open for clothes cleaning and repairs they hold a big display of yester years products for cleaning materials and also the ironing implements
but i notice a tin of there own products of singers and that was a can of singers
oil in a little can what you would used for your old singer sewing machines
with a picture of a lady on her machine with the oil can in her hand
there was a huge bar of carbolic soap in green with the logo of the coop engraved through it there was lots of things to do with singer and there machines going back in the very early 1900s what our parents used to use
on the subject of the singer cars they was made on covenrty rd by a firm called rootes motors and they was taken over and sold the land to Asda super stores on cov rd today best wishes Alan Astonian;;;

Hi Carol you've posted some really good early pics is the pub the library end or are you like me and if it's not on the caption stumped

Bernie the caption just says 84 Cambridge Street with the brewers being The Holt Brewery in Holt street, Aston. Bernie are you saying Osien looks old and knackered or the pub (lol)

It's the tiled front that caught my eye. I'll have to check it out for sure next time I'm passing.

I like the ice cream salesman Jennyann , it don't look like that now paul and the Spread Eagle is a newish Wetherspoons

Back