• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old Maps of Birmingham

peteralw

Hi I'm new to this forum, but I'm from Birmingham originally. I've been researching my family history since 2008. Right now I'm looking for my family in the early 1900's. They lived in Small Heath and Yardley. So I'm trying to find an online map of this area in 1920. Google says this forum has such images. So how do I find them, please?

Hi I'm new to this forum, but I'm from Birmingham originally. I've been researching my family history since 2008. Right now I'm looking for my family in the early 1900's. They lived in Small Heath and Yardley. So I'm trying to find an online map of this area in 1920. Google says this forum has such images. So how do I find them, please?
If you know a road then use the search on here (magnifying glass top right) to look for the name. If there is a thread then start at post 1 and you will most likely find a map somewhere on the thread

I've tried all ways online to find a street map or Kelly's directory referring to the chip shop on Stoney Lane Sparkbrook in 1954. Looking at Google Earth I think the house number would have been around No 137 - 141. My Aunt Bessie (Betty) Middleham ran it then for a while with Uncle Frank. I visited as many times as possible because of the free chips I got. The thing is, Aunt Bet ran many cafes, pubs and clubs during the 50s, 60s and 70s but I'm not sure if she actually owned them or was a manager for them. If anyone remembers it or can offer advice, I would be most grateful.
Chip shop in Stoney Lane.jpg

hope someone can help banjo as it seems odd that you cant find this shop in kellys directories...i would have thought that if your aunty bessie owned it her name should be in kellys..

lyn

Banjo
There was a fish and chip shop at 144 Stony Lane in Smethwick at that time under the name of George Matthews.

Thank you all for your help.
MWS, your map shows me it was No171. Incidently, it also shows 69 Leamington Rd which was where I lived at that time.
PJMBURNS, I assume they lived above the shop in 1954 but not sure for how long they were there. The electoral roll you posted made me smile because I lived there with them a short while in 1956 but do not remember those other people living there.
BRUMMYLAD, your post makes me think that perhaps she was working for someone else.
I had an eventful childhood (but I'm okay now) where I lived at many different households throughout the 50s. The only Family I stayed with was at Aunt Bet's in Berners St 1956 and later at the Manor Tavern Pub in 1957-8.

Last edited:
A not so old map of the City Centre showing places of interest. Not sure about the time frame, but it must have been in the 70's or 80's because I needed it to find my way around.
Dave A

Attachments

• Bham City Centre.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
An old cover of s street plan of Birmingham no date or reference

Attachments

• BCCACFC8-7CF8-4116-85A3-CC26AC1A906B.jpeg
    BCCACFC8-7CF8-4116-85A3-CC26AC1A906B.jpeg
    489.1 KB · Views: 16
Back