• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

old evening mail pics.....

I think you are right Bordesley Exile, there is only one Oldfield Road in my old Wakelin's Street Guide, this ran from 161 Ladypool Road, Balsall Heath.

Where is the old clock?
It should occupy a pride of place (suitably protected).

The wealth of offices, small, medium, large - such as broad street corner - is a sheer wonder as to the extent of business activity. For one thing they provided a huge labour pool for cleaners.
Surely that magnificent building would have been ideal for atv? Plenty of space out back for studios.

(just along from there was the canal office complex. It was like stepping back in time.)

ETRAHXZ, The Market Clock was known as Percy Shurmers clock because he cajoled Birmingham Business Men to donate money to have it made and positioned in the Market Hall for all to enjoy, it was destroyed in the Blitz when the Market Hall was bombed, after the WW2 ended Percy raised the question of reparation money from Germany to have another clock made, he was turned down so it was not replaced. Len.

Where is the old clock?
It should occupy a pride of place (suitably protected).

The wealth of offices, small, medium, large - such as broad street corner - is a sheer wonder as to the extent of business activity. For one thing they provided a huge labour pool for cleaners.
Surely that magnificent building would have been ideal for atv? Plenty of space out back for studios.

(just along from there was the canal office complex. It was like stepping back in time.)
Originaly posted by Phil. percy's Clock
The clock that stood above the old market offices in the Bull Ring until it was bombed on the night of 25/26 August 1940 was affectionately known as “Percy’s Clock”.

The clock was built in 1883 by W. Potts of Leeds and was originally placed in the Imperial Arcade in Dale End. The dial was 5ft across and had an area of 18 sq ft. the four animate figures represented the Earl of Warwick, his wife, a retainer and a Saracen. The two inner larger figures were seven and a half feet tall.

In 1936 Percy Shurmer insisted that the clock which had not worked for about 20 years was repaired and moved to the Market Hall. So it was repaired, and renovated and duly installed above the market offices.

As stated it was bombed out of existence some four years later. At the time Percy demanded that after the war a similar type clock in the German city of Munich should be taken to replace it saying “They knocked ours to bits, lets have theirs to square it up”.

Pmc1947

Last edited by a moderator:
just caught up with this thead and of graham of course i dont mind you saving any of the pics i have posted..please help yourself...

lyn

I have to admit to 'borrowing' all of them to put up as a slide show on my 37" TV they are fascinating.
oldmohawk

hi old mowhawk..i must admit that i have far from finished this project..i would think i can post at least another 200 pics but its very time consuming scanning and posting...something that until recently i have not been able to do...my interest is now slowly coming back and hopefully i will sort a few more out within the next few days...

lyn

LYN do you have any Mail Photos of the ASTON VINIGAR FLOOD from the HP vat burst? our house was next to that vat & our celler had 6 feet of the stuff. had to have it pumped out by the fire engine.

hi keith..i remember reading about that but can not certain about any pics...ive made a mental note and if there are any i shall of course post for you...chances are i will make a start tomorrow...must remember to wear gloves as me hands end up black from the print lol

lyn

I have some that my late mom had kept but they have long gone. If my memory is not on the blink I seem to remember posting them on the forum but no not were? may be someone could HELP.
Thanks for the prompt reply Lyn.

I can'y find a picture saved on my computor, and i would have thought i would have saved it. If its any help, I gather it happened on 28th Dec 1956
there is no picture in "The road from Aston Cross", though it does describe the event
mike

hi keith...oh crikey i have problems finding my own posts sometimes lol..will do a search for you though...do you have a rough idea of when you posted them..

lyn

ok keith ive found the cuttings you posted.....type in HP SAUCE MY ANCESTORS LEGACY in the search box...it will take you straight to the thread....

lyn

ok folks as promised the next batch of pics.. will.post some more later on or tomorrow as i really must get on with me dinner...apologies in advance if any have been posted before...

pic 1..new st aston..

lyn

Attachments

• Aston New St.jpg
    Aston New St.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 19
the grapes pub..heneage st..nechells..

Attachments

• Nechells Grapes PH Heneage St.jpg
    Nechells Grapes PH Heneage St.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 12
gt charles st...

Attachments

• City Great Charles St Congreve St.JPG
    City Great Charles St Congreve St.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 18
dudley road/icknield port road.

Attachments

• Winson Green Dudley Rd - Icknield Port Rd (2).jpg
    Winson Green Dudley Rd - Icknield Port Rd (2).jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 15
working on culverting.

Attachments

• Digbeth River Rea Navvy's.jpg
    Digbeth River Rea Navvy's.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 19
rawlings st..ladywood

Attachments

• Ladywood Rawlins St 1954 (2).JPG
    Ladywood Rawlins St 1954 (2).JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 14
st marys row..gun quarter

Attachments

• Gun Quarter St Mary's Row.jpg
    Gun Quarter St Mary's Row.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 13
anderton st..ladywood

Attachments

• Ladywood  Anderton St 1964.jpg
    Ladywood Anderton St 1964.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 11
ford st..hockley...

Attachments

• Hockley Ford St (2).jpg
    Hockley Ford St (2).jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 18
Thanks for posting these lovely photos lyn, keep them coming. If by chance to come across Trinity or Birchfield Rd pictures ..or the Maternity Hospital.....

great photo's Lyn, especially Gt Charles St where I joined the army about that time, is there any of the actual recruiting office?
paul

Back