• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

old evening mail pics.....

Note on posts 300 and 301 you can see the old Lamb house just before demolition, and them a couple of years later, what was built on the site. The advert on the building next door shows up , as it did on earlier photographs as it was being demolished.
mike
Well spotted, Mike.

few more pics folks...

5 ways..6th of may 1920

Attachments

• Five Ways from Harborne Rd 1920.JPG
    Five Ways from Harborne Rd 1920.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited by a moderator:
high st..erdington...first electric tram..march 1907

Attachments

• First-electric-powered-tram-in-Erdington[2].jpg
    First-electric-powered-tram-in-Erdington[2].jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Erdington Sutton New Rd First Tram.JPG
    Erdington Sutton New Rd First Tram.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 13
broad st..hall of memory before the opening...1925....love this one for the buildings in the background..

Attachments

• City Broad Street Hall of Memory.jpg
    City Broad Street Hall of Memory.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 18
St Pauls Square

Attachments

• St Pauls Square - Ludgate Hill.JPG
    St Pauls Square - Ludgate Hill.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 15
the technical college..suffolk st...1897

Attachments

• City Suffolk St Technical College.jpg
    City Suffolk St Technical College.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 13
Hi Lyn - I've just spent a very enjoyable hour or so looking again through all your pics in this thread. Many thanks for your time and effort scanning them and putting them on. My favourite is the Colmore Row 1930 pic in Post 243, the bowler hatted gent striding across the road, blossom on the trees, and One-Way street signs way back then - just a few of the interesting things in that pic.
I see you've just posted some more in the last hour !
Thanks again
oldmohawk

thank oldmohawk.. glad you are enjoying what ive posted..i love posting pics as you know but some of them really are upsetting to see all the wonderful buildings that are no longer there...hopefully i will be posting some more tomorrow...

lyn

Ludgate Hill is either the road leading vertically off the picture in the middle up; or the one leading vertically off the picture below us down. Unfortunately the ordinary A-Z is not very precise with the positioning of the nave and steeple. Maybe one of us has the early Victorian maps which set out the pathways in the churchyard?

I am sure Ludgate Hill is at the bottom of the picture and the road leading off the square at the top of the picture is Caroline Street.Moss.

I thought it was the bottom,because i thought the picture may have been taken from the GPO tower.
Lynne.

astounding.
that was all stone, brick, iron, oak.
destroyed under false pretences by miscreants who made off as bandits.
the mediocrity are the paid such who concoct replacements-improvements with, alas, truncated minds
routinely educated beyond their natural intelligence.
easily capitalized on.
such edifices were products of interminable labour as collective genius wealth.
they were destroyed quickly and replaced with miserable items.
it is a splendid idea to amass a wealth of pictures and written and audio-visual (still and moving) depicting what was
lost to abhorrent scurrility and mount a permanent exhibition so that those with eyes to see and ears to see and horse sense to boot will wonder in perpetuity.
there are some marvelous photos in the SFPL LHS taken by half plate and full plate cameras in the latter part of the mid 1800s.
the focus, depth of field is a sheer wonder as it was all slow shutter speed!
Rod Birch posted a triptych of the Bull Ring - where it is on this site I'll have to suss - then that.

THX Astoness for these astonishing px garnered from the Mail. Presumably the Mail & Despatch.
What happened to the Birmingham Sketch magazine (glossy piece)?
Also the Birmingham Post was high quality on the reprography.

A huge building, splendidly built. Can you believe matthew boulton tech clg on pershore rd was the replacement?
(not ancient house alongside)
that was a steep hill.
Opposite was a big cinema.
As a wee lad i ambled about the building when being demolished.
All the fictures and fittings were in place as though closed for xmas-ny.
I remember the quality of natural light was splendid. Lot of tile work.
Sculpted wood, wrought iron.
Labs galore. Brass, metal, glass.
Everything smashed to smithereens.
Would you also credit there were no scavangers?
The stuff would be worth a vast amount had it been whisked away and stored.
How people can be so inane as to destroy such, including king edwards (which i remember as
a toddler) and birmingham university and the medical school, is, in all seriousness, quite beyond belief to any decent person.
What is the construction l alongside and foreground l? Mayhap part of big theatre which was originally live stage.
Of course it so much easier to subsist of pharmaceutical tranquilizers, concocted predigested food.

hi etrahxz...glad you liked the pics..the pics from post number 291 come from a book not the newspapers..hence the very good quality of them...just thought i would lump them all under one thread...hope to post a few more tomorrow...

lyn

From the 1910 map, showing the path, Ludgate Hill must be on the bottom of the photo.
Sorry, just realised I didn't scan the name Ludgate hill, but it is the road coming from the bottom right corner on the map
mike

st_pauls_churchyard_c_1910.jpg

Jh
do you have an idea what happened to the virtual-brum archive after the expiration of peter gamble?

Perhaps it is the mantle of officiate but i am somewhat disorientated.
The tech (mat boulton) on suffolk street, which is quite a steep hill, from paradise circus to the horsefair.
The entirety razed by rampant and organized inanity. Madness comes in a multifarious miscellanea of guises but when it breaks loose then anything is possible and when fuelled by money then all are of the same religion.
Astonishingly on the n side before h.fair is a surviving splendid small synagogue and methodist church.
Up the slope is the greyhound which used make scrumpy on the premises.

Ludgate Hill is the road at the top of the picture. Dek

Sorry Lynne i got it wrong you are correct here is a photo taken yesterday from Ludgate Hill showing the steeple on the front left hand side

Attachments

• St Pauls from Ludgate Hill.JPG
    St Pauls from Ludgate Hill.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 15
hi shortie..tomorrow i am going to once again go through some old mags and papers so i will be posting more pics..will lookout for soho hill for you..

lyn
hi is there any photo's of the old fish market up all the step's a friend asked me but said i had not seen any regards linda

few more for today folks...

hall green hall...demolished 1936

Attachments

• Hall Green Hall Green Hall.JPG
    Hall Green Hall Green Hall.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 15
the market hall clock

Attachments

• Market Hall Clock.jpg
    Market Hall Clock.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 12
broad st corner...

Attachments

• City Broad St Easy Row Preperation Work for HOM.jpg
    City Broad St Easy Row Preperation Work for HOM.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 19
masque ballroom...1928

Attachments

• Sparkbrook Masque Ballroom Walford Rd.JPG
    Sparkbrook Masque Ballroom Walford Rd.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 14
celebrations in oldfield road...maybe someone could let me know where this is please..its such a busy pic i just had to post it...

Attachments

• Balsall Heath Oldfield Rd Coronation Day George VI .jpg
    Balsall Heath Oldfield Rd Coronation Day George VI .jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 16
Back