• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

old car snaps

Re: old car snaps hednesford hills

i went with my dad in his lorry delivering shale & hard core late 50s when Bill Morris was setting it up after bringing the idea from the states, always the oportunist he salvaged the covered grandstand from Bromford bridge racecourse & rebuilt it on the start finish staight, very nice but we always met on the west bend & braved the weather! sent somone to meadway earlier this year & they said it was all closed down.

In my opinion the best car I ever owned, my 1960 Ford Consul 375 Low Line.
Ideal courting car, it had a front bench seat wide enough to seat three, column gear change and umbrella hand brake set under the dash panel. Happy days!

I owned a " 375 " for a short time in the early '70s. Patched her up and sold her on.
Very few people remember that model. The Vauxhall Cresta and later " 101" had a similar arrangement. You could buy them for next to nothing, easy mechanicals and simple panels to weld. As you say " Happy Days":cool:

I've put these pics on the "Old Reg Numbers" thread but here they are again.
These 2 are my first cars. The Dellow was bought for £70 in 1963 and sold a year later for £90. Wish I had it now.:(
The Sprite replaced it and cost me £250. I sold it around 1967 when I moved to London and got my first company car as a sales rep.:)

A couple more from a camping holiday in Norfolk. My Aunt and Uncle with their Wolseley and Mom with an 1100 (terrible car, Dad got rid of it after 12 months!) In the background my other Uncle's Viva (I think).

Nice picture Len here is a bit off wiki H. J. Mulliner & Co. is a well-known British coachbuilder. The Mulliner family can trace their coachbuilding history back to 1760, building coaches for the Royal Mail in Northampton. Mulliner now is the personal commissioning department for Bentley.

There were at one time four separate companies trading with the name Mulliner, all seem to have descended from the original family:

Arthur Mulliner based in Northampton;
Mulliner based in Liverpool who also opened a showroom in Brook Street, Mayfair, London jointly with Arthur Mulliner trading as Mulliner (London) Ltd.;
H.J. Mulliner who bought the Mayfair showroom;
Mulliners of Birmingham

Meadway Spares was on the corner of The Meadway (road) & Garrets Green Lane this photo is circa 1955, it was demolished many years ago when the area was developed the site is now a McDonalds Takeaway. Len.

Here's my 3rd car an 'N' reg Viva. Bought it new in 1974 from a dealer (can't remember the name) opposite Hardy Spicers on the Chester Rd. I thought it was great, until I soon had to visit Halfords to buy metal gauze, filler, and spray paint to fill rust holes coming from inside the bodywork. I soon became an expert fighting the rust.
Viva_1974.jpg

My 1952 MG TD Actually it is a replica. A VW Beetle chasis and engine and a Fiber Fab body. Lots of fun to drive though
mgtd.jpg

MallyB2 you never told us about your day job when we met at Tha Old Crown!:D:D:D Superb car though!

brillient car mal...looks in vgc...wendy its a good job mal didnt come to the crown dressed like that:rolleyes::rolleyes:

lyn:):):)

My 1952 MG TD Actually it is a replica. A VW Beetle chasis and engine and a Fiber Fab body. Lots of fun to drive though:)... I bet it is great fun to drive .. :D. nice looking replica ...but what about the sound ? ..:) you cant get the feel of the original or the sound ? beetles just . handle and perform so different.. and sound so different :):rolleyes:

This LH drive 1965 MGB is my daily transport it has loads of Brummie parts, like the S.U. carbs, Notek mist lights. I've just got back from shopping in it. Brilliant weather today so had to put the hood down. Graham.

Last edited:
My 1952 MG TD Actually it is a replica. A VW Beetle chasis and engine and a Fiber Fab body. Lots of fun to drive though:)... I bet it is great fun to drive .. :D. nice looking replica ...but what about the sound ? ..:) you cant get the feel of the original or the sound ? beetles just . handle and perform so different.. and sound so different :):rolleyes:
I have four exhaust pipes straight through so it is pretty meaty as far as the sound goes. It's a 1600cc engine which is a larger engine than the mg and twin carbs. Pretty fast to 80mph but that is the top speed

Well I must compliment all of you on your lovely well kept cars. Cad we have one like yours well one of the lads did but I loved it with the lid off. The other lad a mgbt or something like that but it didn't have a flexi roof. Will sort the photo's out of them. Same colour as yours Graham. Jean.

nice one Maggs and good condition still a few about :)and is it still fun to drive ;)
Graham still looks good and with Notek mist lights ;)remember if you need the spares and your chap can't supply :rolleyes::D

Bill top speed aint everything as long as its fun getting there :D

Cars_012.jpg
This was my Mini when it was restored I loved it! I also had a black one later which my son's loved to drive. They had wide wheels and a big exaust fitted. They told me it would go faster:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wendy our lads first car was a mini and they can still remember the number plate. I remember part of it was bab 1. Jean.

This was a Cadillac cars Michael used to drive people in for special occasions. He said it was lovely to drive. He loves driving the American cars especially stretch limousines he says the technology is brilliant.........boys never grow up really!:D

My wife, Marie-Rose in her LHD 1976 Blaze coloured Mini Clubman that I bought new in Mechelen (Malines in French), Belgium. The wheels and tyres I bought in Brum! Sorry for the quality but they seem to fade like my memories,:( Graham.

Last edited:
what a lovely collection of classic cars..cant beat em...

in the early 70s my ex did a car repair for someone who could not pay the bill so he offered up his other car in payment...a light blue 1953 lagonda...couldnt beleive it when he rolled home in it...a massive heavy car it was....lovely to drive in..didnt do that many to the gallon and the number plate was LKW 2...the initials of my name at the time...

unfortuately the car went along with the hubby..:D:D:D

lyn...

A search reveals...
Lagonda registration LKW 2 - first registered12/5/1955 - engine size 2922cc - colour red - taxed until end May 2010.
It's still about, but red now!

crikey Lloyd..wonder if the ex is:D:Di must have been a couple of years out then with the age....

still its nice to know the old bus is still about...

cheers...

lyn:):):)

My son was watching discovery turbo from Paris auctions the other day and a ferrari was being auctioned he recognised it as one he had worked on the owner had receipts for £30 000 including servicing etc a sticker showed the mileage since it was serviced by them in the workshop as having done one mile! .. so it had not been driven since it came out of his workshop 3 years ago must have been PUSHED to Paris lol

Back