• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

old car snaps

Hi Stitcher.was that te mark 2 3.8 you were a lucky man to have sucha great car as that.... It was the reason for me buying a S type in 2000 a 3 ltr petrol not very economical but what agreat car kept it till 2010 then traded in for another s type 2.7 ltr twin turbo diesel very quick of the mark and very good milage. will stick withthis as long as i can don't do that many miles now

Regards Pete Ex Pat

i would post photos but don't know how !!!!

Hello Pete, yes it was the Mk two, three point eight litre. It was a wonderful car to drive as well as to look at.

My son has a 1932 Model B ford, I will get a couple of pics and post them maybe tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a Cine film taken by my father Cleeve Phillip Belcher at Meadway Spares in Birmingham in November 1969. It shows my Grandfather Cleeve Herbert Belcher taking his car to be smashed up and scrapped at the breakers yard. They used to live in Yardley and Sheldon. I believe its a Wolseley. Thought you may like to see it. I've just had all my cine converted and found this!

what a wonderful few mins of history....thanks janelj7 for sharing it with us...

lyn

What a great video, but sad to witness the death of a car. I think that Meadway Spares were on Bordesley Green Rd, on the opposite side of the road but not far from the paint factory.

What a great video, but sad to witness the death of a car. I think that Meadway Spares were on Bordesley Green Rd, on the opposite side of the road but not far from the paint factory.
Pretty sure that the owners son raced at Hednesford hills, we were all extremely jealous that he had all his spare parts provided Free Of Charge.

My old MG magnet. one of the best cars I have ever driven , it saved my life, one very dark & windy night going home from Ice Hockey practice (12-00am) up the Coventy Road ,just droped one of my buddies off, when out of nowere came a 10 ton oil tanker totally righting of that fantasic car . We were so lucky it being a very sturdy car! but for a small cut,my passenger John Morris & I came out OK .
I missed that car so.
Photo taken on Marine Drive WOOLACOMBE

Attachments

• MG MAGNET.jpg
    MG MAGNET.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 31
Now this is not my R.R. (I wish ) but one taken with me at the driving seat taken at aReg office wedding in Birmingham.

Attachments

• RR.jpg
    RR.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 33
Edit. Post transferred to here from recovered Photobucket images

is that a Triumph Mayflower or 1800? Was it also known as the 'razoredge'?

Bob

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a Cine film taken by my father Cleeve Phillip Belcher at Meadway Spares in Birmingham in November 1969. It shows my Grandfather Cleeve Herbert Belcher taking his car to be smashed up and scrapped at the breakers yard. They used to live in Yardley and Sheldon. I believe its a Wolseley. Thought you may like to see it. I've just had all my cine converted and found this!

One of the saddest things I have ever watched:(

The car in #137 is a Triumph Mayflower but it was the larger Triumph Renown that was called the Razor Edge.

When I did my paper round from the post office there (Ryan's at the time, late 40s) there was a covered passage to the left of the building where Ryan hung his pigs to bleed out after killing them, in that picture there doesn't seem to be the space.

My second Ford CAPRI

I had a bog-standard Capri 1600 and it was one of the best cars I ever drove. I never really understood why they stopped making them when they did. Last week I followed a pristine black 2 litre Capri on the A453, and thought how great it looked. A classic.

G

One of the saddest things I have ever watched:(
Fascinating to watch and strangely sad to see the demise of an old "classic" which was just considered an old banger then. I used to go there for various bits & pieces, they used to let you climb all over the cars yourself. Noticed the old Morris Factory on the other side of the railway. Looks like it's in the last stage of demolition.

humberpullman.jpg
I owned on of these in 1962 when I worked at Lowes Transport. It was an ex army staff car but I have to admit, it did not look as smart as this one. I fitted new big ends when it broke down but it did not go far after that.

M&B.jpeg
I have posted this picture before. it was my Private Hire Car when I worked at Radio Cars on Soho Road.

IMG_0870.JPG
My son bought the one on the left, an AC Cobra but it was so powerful that he decided to swap it fore the hot rod. Before this he had a 1942 model B ford. He buys from and sells to a man in London who buys all the new engines and spares from America. When you order a car from him he will deliver it on a small transporter right to your door. He then gives you a lot of advice on how to drive it and what not to do in the name of safety. As you can see the hotrod has no mudguards, this is legal because the car is classed as original but Jason is having mudguards fitted, you can see in the next picture what it will look like.
IMG_0914.JPG

I screwed that picture post up sorry folks,

This is my wife in the 1952 Ferrari 340 Mexico Vignale Spyder, ithink its in front of the Loius Vuitton store on Rodao Drive CA

Back