• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Last up tonight - not one of the sharpest images but quite old and I feel will bring back memories for some - not that its a pub, if I have the location correct - now I think this is Alma Street Newtown - am I right ? and I think the pub is the Royal Exchange, this is all taken from the picture not googled hence where you all come in!
If the location is correct I know many of you enjoy this area - if not I have made a fool of myself but you will enjoy correcting me ( thats sounds like you enjoy doing that which is not what I meant) and adding to the history of the image.
Not sure of the gent in the road - I would hate for someone to recognise him, the large lamp on the pub corner and the ornamental street lamp and the rear entry bus.

View attachment 163255
yes correct location mark...i have had this one for some years now...lovely photos

lyn

Last up tonight - not one of the sharpest images but quite old and I feel will bring back memories for some - not that its a pub, if I have the location correct - now I think this is Alma Street Newtown - am I right ? and I think the pub is the Royal Exchange, this is all taken from the picture not googled hence where you all come in!
If the location is correct I know many of you enjoy this area - if not I have made a fool of myself but you will enjoy correcting me ( thats sounds like you enjoy doing that which is not what I meant) and adding to the history of the image.
Not sure of the gent in the road - I would hate for someone to recognise him, the large lamp on the pub corner and the ornamental street lamp and the rear entry bus.

View attachment 163255
The lamp to the right looks as though it is actually fitted to the top of the wall. Is there a collection of these pub lamps held anywhere? Are there any still in situ around Birmingham?

Just noticed, is that a gents on the right with a large lamp over it ?
O the temptation, but stilled my reply because this forum is read by women (in this woke world can I say that?) and children. Just carry on the good work.
Bob
I am writing this to Krupa and Rich with Bernies Tune on the CD player, oh joyous day and music and to follow Billie May.
Bob

I am writing this to Krupa and Rich with Bernies Tune on the CD player, oh joyous day and music and to follow Billie May.
Saw Buddy a couple of times at the Odeon amazing, great choice. I was going to mention the shadows cast but thought against it for a similar reason.

Evening back again with another selection.
Here is a view of New Street station in the process of redevelopment, station level has been built now the shops and offices are under construction. Note bottom right the north point just above the bridge link and at the top right the piece of open land in the process of becoming redeveloped and the top end of New Street before it was redeveloped.

View attachment 163251
Is the building plot "top right" the then new Bank of England, corner of Cherry St. and Temple Row?

This next picture looks like you have turned 180 degrees from the last picture to look the other way. High windows let in the natural light with an elegant curved end wall and a double height wall of books. On the floor we can also see lots of wooden bookcases. We also get a better look at the hanging lights, no simple glass globe here.

Test160 1.jpg

This view shows the scale of the building, the amount of books at first floor level, reached by staircases both straight and spiral, there are wooden ladders and file boxes , card indexes and everything managed without a computer !!
I notice that some of the bookcases are labelled "literature", from the look of the books most could be described as literature, you could not imagine that there were many picture books.

Test161 1.jpg

This is a detailed look at the roof supports the arched beams and the windows - I see that the middle window has an opening panel , but cannot see how these were opened or closed, and there are also little stained glass panels at the top of each window. You also see the arches at floor level and above each of these are 5 little arches with carved supports for each of the roof arches - amazing.

Test162 1.jpg

Now this is something else, all the carving and inlaid wood panels up high with and inset curved panel with its intricate arch above it . Now below it are arched doors with inlaid panels - now these doors are very big, very wide and with the handles on the outside, these are one level up so how were they accessed as they have books behind them, were these special editions, the doors below are plainer but on the extreme right is a tall ladder was this how you got to these books?

Test163 1.jpg

Many followers will have seen many a rant about the destruction of the cities heritage and what a travesty it was , if you remember the central library and what has replaced it and look at the previous pictures, the younger readers may wonder what happened to it all - this last picture says it all and explains the anguish - very much deserved, need I say more...

Test164 1.jpg

Many followers will have seen many a rant about the destruction of the cities heritage and what a travesty it was , if you remember the central library and what has replaced it and look at the previous pictures, the younger readers may wonder what happened to it all - this last picture says it all and explains the anguish - very much deserved, need I say more...

View attachment 164170
Interesting seeing the Post Office Tower in the latter stages of construction.

This view shows the scale of the building, the amount of books at first floor level, reached by staircases both straight and spiral, there are wooden ladders and file boxes , card indexes and everything managed without a computer !!
I notice that some of the bookcases are labelled "literature", from the look of the books most could be described as literature, you could not imagine that there were many picture books.

View attachment 164166
I think that even most readers never went inside the Central Library. I used the splendid Green Lane Library. So did my mother. I only went there once when studying for A Level English Literature to borrow a book of literary criticism about poetry. What a pity it was swept away. Clearly would not be fit for purpose today but was a building worth preserving. I still think reading from a book beats reading a computer screen.

This is one of those row of adverts on Pershore road that I mentioned in the past, thats the best I can do apart from it been 1972. Interesting adverts one for the most popular cigarette and at 20p a pack I am not surprise and a nostalgic selection of electrical goods. Some distinctive buildings on the right.
Just had a thought saw the No entry sign, was Pershore road one way in places or is this a side road onto Pershore Road, sorry I only show the pictures. Thanks as always for everyone's comments and chat about the past.

View attachment 159836
Opposite the British Oak

Nice photograph of the old Smithfield Market on the previous page posted by SteveBhx. The lady with the hat may have been the stall holder's wife or possibly the wife of a greengrocer. Both my mother & grandmother worked alongside their husbands, but I don't recall them going to the market themselves, although on my trips there with my dad, I did notice some women looking around occasionally. Looks like it may have been taken in the 60s or early 70s to me. The hat the lady is wearing, is just like the ones that my grandmother wore back then.

1637839775619.jpeg 1637839841029.jpeg
images

Some old shots of the old Smithfield Wholesale Market in Birmingham.

Back