• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

114 Crocketts Road in 1974, Fine Twinings sign above the door and a couple of Typhoo Tea signs in the side window. I like the Midland Counties ice cream sign, and the way the shop is stepped down from the house next door and finally the sparrow in the road.View attachment 154256
Used to live a few doors away from this shop, many years ago, but always remember the shopkeepers.

I am afraid this is the last of the black and white scans - there are still some shops though, this is my favourite picture of the black and white one is slightly to the left of the previous photo but so much railway history in the image. it shows the full extent of the Moor Street Station site with passenger traffic on the multiple units and the freight side with the sheds wagon lifts and trailers waiting their net load. A look into the background shows so many factories and chimneys all swept away - progress I suppose!

Test272 1.jpg

Used to live a few doors away from this shop, many years ago, but always remember the shopkeepers.
Nellie & Dennis served at this corner shop, knew them from when i was a school kid until my
20's when i left my house in Juntion Road (corner of Station Road). mike Hill

Nellie & Dennis served at this corner shop, knew them from when i was a school kid until my
20's when i left my house in Juntion Road (corner of Station Road). mike Hill
I bet it was Nellie & Dennis Hunt, how do I know (It tells you above the front door! :) )

233 Holyhead Road in 1974 shown for the large M & B sign, the Ford Zodiac and the tantalising ghost sign behind the hoarding. I like the little exhaust circles on the wall, showing the pollution that was put out

View attachment 158497
Near by at 169 Holyhead Road, on Facebook someone pointed out that advertising signs had been removed after many years and now reveals a Barbers Tea Ghost sign in excellent condition after being hidden for many years.

169 holyhead rd.PNGholyhead rd - barbers teas.jpg

I am afraid this is the last of the black and white scans - there are still some shops though, this is my favourite picture of the black and white one is slightly to the left of the previous photo but so much railway history in the image. it shows the full extent of the Moor Street Station site with passenger traffic on the multiple units and the freight side with the sheds wagon lifts and trailers waiting their net load. A look into the background shows so many factories and chimneys all swept away - progress I suppose!

View attachment 164510
what great photos steve...thanks

lyn

this is Green Lane in 1974, a rather strange row of ex shops apart from the fish / chicken shop. At first floor we have a selection of pretend bay type windows. Lots of old things - an Ansells Pub, a Corona litter bin and a Lyons Maid sign , not to mention the Ford Cortina.

136 Green Lane  - 74.jpg

Now we have 883 Washwood Heath Road again from 1974, fine selection of long gone cars - Vauxhall Estate on the left then a Hillman Imp, an MG and a Hillman Hunter. Other things of interest, a phone box !, a post box with a Post Office sign on top and looking at the font is that a Boots Chemist on the right.

883 Washwood Heath Road WE- 74.jpg

91 Rookery Road Handsworth taken on a Sunday as we presume the lady is going to church. A proper bike shop and I love the sign outside both on the pavement and on the wall, tyres hanging up and bicycles and tricycles - all you could need. Next door Eadie's Stores with all the cans neatly stacked in the window and some nice sash windows upstairs

91 Rookery Road - Handsworth - 75.jpg

I bet it was Nellie & Dennis Hunt, how do I know (It tells you above the front door! :) )

Brings back very old memories i have of the time i spent living in Station Road/Junction Road, Nellie was always considerate & lovely woman to know, as a kid always popping into her shop,
she knew of me very well to. mike H.

Have you any other pics of Hurst Street? i worked at M.Mapstone Ltd, for over 30years, building
still there in Ladywell Walk. (Now known as the Chinese quarter in that area. mikeH
Think it was Mapstones I did night shift collecting newspapers and packing bundles of newspapers.

Think it was Mapstones I did night shift collecting newspapers and packing bundles of newspapers.
Hi, it must have been Mapstones. the building was in Ladywell Walk & Wrottesley Street, we were
at the back of WH Smith's, it was the heart of newspaper & magazine distributors at that time. mike. Spent most of my working life there, until the business was sold. Many happy memories,
have posted articles on facebook & other Forum concerning the Company. mike

Hurst st was one of my haunts 65 to 67, possibly earlier. Norman H Field was where the good stuff came from, so a lot of window shopping there. There was an electronics surplus place on the other side, with piles of ‘stuff’ at affordable prices. Made a few things with bits from there. Thanks for the memories. Andrew.

91 Rookery Road Handsworth taken on a Sunday as we presume the lady is going to church. A proper bike shop and I love the sign outside both on the pavement and on the wall, tyres hanging up and bicycles and tricycles - all you could need. Next door Eadie's Stores with all the cans neatly stacked in the window and some nice sash windows upstairs

View attachment 165030
There's a 'Raleigh Chopper' in the window. Be worth a lot of money now.

Just catch up I did realise it was Davenports no I have no more Hurst Street pictures and I don't know the name of the pub.

Thought it was time for a few more shops - this is Hurst Street in 1979 a quick Google say 94/96 Hurst Street, so not much there now then !! Apparently in its time Computerland was one of the places to go for the latest machines

View attachment 165027
If I have the right place the "Dave" premises are still there (or were Mar 2021) but the shop has long since gone. Windows look right.

Attachments

• Hurst Street - 2021.JPG
    Hurst Street - 2021.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 31
Back