• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Another street scene which I know is the right way round !
Enamel adverts grocers with wares on the pavement Moms chatting and children playing and one of those years where the sun always shone. Plenty more to see with a variety in heights of the buildings and a couple of attics at the end, and a lamp on the pavement.

View attachment 159798

All under Chest and Lung Mixture...
St. Bruno, St. Julien, Capstan,Wills Star, Gold Flake, Craven A, Wild Woodbine !

All under Chest and Lung Mixture...
St. Bruno, St. Julien, Capstan,Wills Star, Gold Flake, Craven A, Wild Woodbine !
Pedro, I noticed that too.............Does anyone smoke pipes anymore? I used to but you had to carry so much clap trap with you! Cleaners, spare pipes, tin of tobacco, matches. That is a lot when you are on the go with a motor bike!

The only vehicle visible is a Morris J2 van, or its Austin equivalent, which came into production in 1956, so at least we have a starting date for the picture. It seems that the “corner shop” was still operating at the time, allowing us to nip round the corner for a packet of gaspers or whatever, these days it would be start the car to get to the nearest supermarket, so adding to the carbon dioxide.

Last edited:
Enamel adverts grocers with wares on the pavement Moms chatting and children playing and one of those years where the sun always shone. Plenty more to see with a variety in heights of the buildings and a couple of attics at the end, and a lamp on the pavement.

View attachment 159798
Extreme left looks like a pub or outdoor facade….. great photo.
Has anyone come up with the name of this road or street yet ?

View attachment 159798
The lamp is a gas lamp I think.
Bob

Yes, in the little oval metal plaque - looks like the number 16 but the name is too small for me to read.
Maybe the plaque says court 16? There is also a name on the awning of the second shop. My photo app hasn't helped me much to identify. Possibly - N *****ERSON ?

Post #2219, what an incredible colour image this is and the level of detail is amazing, along with the other image post #2134, what more could you want from an historic Birmingham street scene (other than date and location of course). They really tug at the heart strings.

Hi Annie, Thanks for your response. I think it was on the same side of Wallis but not sure. Mary Quant, yes. I didn’t have any of her dresses but when I worked at Benton & Stone in Aston, we would venture down Newtown Row shopping. I loved working in Aston. There was a ladies clothes shop there and they sold lovely dresses. They were replicas of Mary Quant, so not too expensive but very nice. We used to put items by and pay weekly. I can see it now wine colour, edged in white with a hole on the neckline. ( getting a bit sentimental here, and a bit off thread, apologies). I wonder if Viv or Lyn remembers this shop. It was a great era wasn’t it Annie. Wonder what happened to Biba and the lovely Cathy McGowan. Cannot thank Steve, the Moderators and all the forum members for photos that bring back lovely memories for me. Sue

Again, smashing pictures, thank you.
I, too, was a Wallis shopper and also remember Neatawear.. lovely, reasonably priced fashions... remember prices were always 49/11d, 59/11d, 69/11d and 79/11d... never in £s. If you went posh and ventured into Mary Quant (in Marshall and Snelgroves) you would pay in 'guineas' .
Thanks for reminding me of Neatawear, Sue. Have tried to place which side of the road it was on.
Annie
Neatawear was my favourite fashion shop too-they sold really trendy suits and dresses by a make called 'Dollyrockers' or something like that.

View attachment 159798
what a great photo steve i shall study it now i have more time but so far no location springs to mind

lyn

Another wall this one is 380 Stratford road in 1974, the main chimney seem to be an afterthought, and interesting that the decorative wall only goes half the way up. Building on the left looks quite decorative, and the old style road sign peeping out on the right. Not forgetting the Midland Bank which was swallowed up long ago ( HSBC?)

View attachment 158733
Would this be the car park of the Piccadilly cinema, Sparkhill?

This is a fascinating picture of 75 High Street Kings Heath in 1967, all those newspapers and magazines, all on show to the elements and also reliant on trust for the purchaser to take them inside to pay. Signs for Coach tours from both Smiths and Allenways, advert box for your postcards to sell your wares and those revolving racks. I especially like the neon signs which you can visualise as red in colour!.

75 High Street KH- 67.jpg

Just remember this folder a couple of cars on a sales lot in Dartmouth Street in 1982, factory at the back with northlights I believe, the glazed part of the roof faced north to cut out heat but allow light. Nice Triumph Stag. I presume this has all long gone?

Dartmouth Street - 82.jpg

149 Sherlock Street in 1970, modernisation creeping in , only bits of history is Combridge Limited on the left on a roof edge and looking closely to the right of the lamppost , left of the chimney is part of a ghost sign for someones metal. a high rise peeps over the view.

149 Sherlock Street - 70.jpg

This is one of those row of adverts on Pershore road that I mentioned in the past, thats the best I can do apart from it been 1972. Interesting adverts one for the most popular cigarette and at 20p a pack I am not surprise and a nostalgic selection of electrical goods. Some distinctive buildings on the right.
Just had a thought saw the No entry sign, was Pershore road one way in places or is this a side road onto Pershore Road, sorry I only show the pictures. Thanks as always for everyone's comments and chat about the past.

2 Pershore Road - 72.jpg

This is a fascinating picture of 75 High Street Kings Heath in 1967, all those newspapers and magazines, all on show to the elements and also reliant on trust for the purchaser to take them inside to pay. Signs for Coach tours from both Smiths and Allenways, advert box for your postcards to sell your wares and those revolving racks. I especially like the neon signs which you can visualise as red in colour!.

View attachment 159833
This is next to the Kingsway Cinema. Shop is still there with an authorised piece of graffiti on the side.

Attachments

• 75 high Street kings Heath 2021.JPG
    75 high Street kings Heath 2021.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Finally a bit of colour for you and something different, bomb site or council redevelopment in the foreground, and a fine selection of house with a shopping corner and with what looks like a grocers with wares out front , a lorry is on the road. Land rises quite steeply judging by the house in the background . Apologies for the "noise" on the photo I presume glass slides with years of muck and not so careful handling.

Test329 1.jpg

Finally a bit of colour for you and something different, bomb site or council redevelopment in the foreground, and a fine selection of house with a shopping corner and with what looks like a grocers with wares out front , a lorry is on the road. Land rises quite steeply judging by the house in the background . Apologies for the "noise" on the photo I presume glass slides with years of muck and not so careful handling.

View attachment 159837
The road on the right is Bell Barn Road, Lee Bank. At the junction is the shop of F.W. Wilkes, at nos. 118-119 Great Colmore Street, with its two sun blinds. Pigott Street is out of sight, to the right of the shop. Facing the shop is the Grand Junction Pub, at no. 180 GCS. There is a photo on this site, taken from almost the same location, and dated 25/7/60. In it, the properties have been abandoned and are awaiting demolision. As the properties in Steve's photos appear to still be occupied, it seems that this photo was taken earlier in 1960.

The road on the right is Bell Barn Road, Lee Bank. At the junction is the shop of F.W. Wilkes, at nos. 118-119 Great Colmore Street, with its two sun blinds. Pigott Street is out of sight, to the right of the shop. Facing the shop is the Grand Junction Pub, at no. 180 GCS. There is a photo on this site, taken from almost the same location, and dated 25/7/60. In it, the properties have been abandoned and are awaiting demolision. As the properties in Steve's photos appear to still be occupied, it seems that this photo was taken earlier in 1960.
Thanks, this is what makes the forum, I post pictures but the members make it all real, the history , all the little bits we would lose otherwise ❤, keep up the good work.

Here is another folder I had not finished with - hotels - I suppose we could not forget the Plough and Harrow on the Hagley Road in 1972. Think the decorator are in judging by the variety of ladders by the Buttery entrance. tall elegant chimneys and a lack of traffic for the traffic lights.

View attachment 158279
Playing catch up and think this is where I got to in the "now" photos.

Attachments

• The Plough and Harrow Hotel Hagley Road - 2021.JPG
    The Plough and Harrow Hotel Hagley Road - 2021.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 31
As we have just been on the Hagley Road I thought I would drop in a shop from the area - this is 355 - 363 Hagley Road in 1972, interesting balconies and also note the shape of Arnolds Stores which has one frontage that stands infront of the other. I like the clock on the front and the roof lines, apologies for the ghost signs on the pavement, felt tip is a bit more difficult to remove than chinagraph. Is that a Maxi parked on the road?

View attachment 158281

Attachments

• 355-363 Hagley Road - 2021.JPG
    355-363 Hagley Road - 2021.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 28
This is York Road Acocks Green in 1974, Hall Green Stadium on the left and a few interesting cars scattered about, I like the one in front of the cash and carry next to the mini and the Jaguar in front of the stadium. The few wooden barriers around the hole are also interesting !!

View attachment 158496
Two views first 2015 with Stadium still there and second 2020 with Stadium gone and residential properties appearing.

Attachments

• York Road Acocks Green - 2015.JPG
    York Road Acocks Green - 2015.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 18
  • York Road Acocks Green - 2020.JPG
    York Road Acocks Green - 2020.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 17
Back