• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Bit different today pub interiors - you may know the names and location and I am sure you will fill in the spaces

This is the Bellefield Inn lovely tiles - Davenport Calender, stools, tables and a coat rack. The size of the mirror is amazing
I have the Bellefield Inn at 36 & 38 Winson Street, Birmingham 18

Rose Villa Tavern from 1975 with its amazing fireplace and large tiled picture above it, and to get you really in the mood, candles in Mateus Rose bottles - height of elegance in those days
I have the Rose Villa Tavern at 172 Warstone Lane, Birmingham 18

This is The Woodman Albert Street , it is a good picture to zoom in on for the cigars by the till and all the old drink names and bottles.and note the Ansells Clock above the scarf. About the scarf from Wiki:
The 1975 Football League Cup Final took place on 1 March 1975 at Wembley Stadium. It was contested between Aston Villa and Norwich City. To date it is the only major domestic Cup Final played at Wembley Stadium between two clubs outside the top-flight. Aston Villa won 1–0, to claim their second League Cup final victory. Ray Graydon scored the only goal of the game
I was also there, right behind the goal and can remember a complete stranger standing next to me nearly crushing me to death in his celebratory hug! Lovely to see all the old bar advertising. I collect breweriana figures so it's lovely to see these pub/bar interiors.

Evening all, a bit different tonight.
Old but still there to gone altogether, help needed to work out where and what the last one is
First up good old Villa Park looking a bit different with the Granada Bingo, looks like the players have started to arrive;)

Attachments

• Villa Park 81.jpg
    Villa Park 81.jpg
    731.5 KB · Views: 245
this is apparently 23 Albert Street Dale End, lots of remains of roof lines, staircase and door, love the Morris Traveller, I believe this is now the NCP car park, but I am happy to be proved wrong

Attachments

• 23 Albert Street 71.jpg
    23 Albert Street 71.jpg
    567.8 KB · Views: 188
Finally Ashted Row1980, large industrial complex with angled building on the right and various additions can someone offer what it used to be, which company and can you point out where it is today please

luckily no one spotted I got carried away with the words and forgot to attach the pictures - never mind

thankyou

Attachments

• Ashted Row 80.jpg
    Ashted Row 80.jpg
    778.8 KB · Views: 164
Agree Lyn. Great photos again. I still think the 1970s and 80s weren’t that long ago until I see photos like these. And interesting that each tells a story of the time and place, especially ones like that in post #37. Nice to be able to study these and think through that story.

Thanks Steve !

Me too, passed it all the time on the way from Bordesley Green to town. It was called something Reclamations.

Evening, bits of everything tonight, first the Tyburn House Pub, taken back in 1971, we have two views firstly from Chester Road couple of nice cars one with a number plate which would be quite collectable today, an MFI van and one the extreme right a row of houses which are not there now, the second view is from Kingsbury Road note the old low bridge sign with glass reflectors

Attachments

• Tyburn House Chester Road 71.jpg
    Tyburn House Chester Road 71.jpg
    573 KB · Views: 188
  • Tyburn House Kingsbury Road 71.jpg
    Tyburn House Kingsbury Road 71.jpg
    750.5 KB · Views: 187
39 Fordhouse Lane from 1970, not an amazing view but a fine selection of cars. There is a bit of stained glass in the bay window of the first house and some lovely chimney pots

Attachments

• 39 Fordhouse Lane 70.jpg
    39 Fordhouse Lane 70.jpg
    535.8 KB · Views: 122
This is 1758 - 1760 Pershore road from 1968 , note the tropical fish supplies next to the fish and chip shop :joy:. Some nice ridge tiles, some nice carving above the quartered sash windows and the bracket for a hanging sign

Attachments

• 1758 Pershore Road -68.jpg
    1758 Pershore Road -68.jpg
    690.9 KB · Views: 144
Good afternoon, 149 Soho Road in 1975, traditional hardware store, windows full of goods and selection of brooms in a stand, sewing machine shop next door. Looks like the top floor is out of use. Note the 3 eras of Vauxhall cars first two on the left and the one on the right

Attachments

• 149 Soho Road - 75.jpg
    149 Soho Road - 75.jpg
    732.3 KB · Views: 112
111 Victoria Street from 1974, another hardware / general store - looks like the assistant would be glad of someone to enter the shop. Note the cast street name and the platform shoes on the three ladies

Attachments

• 111 Victoria Street - 74.jpg
    111 Victoria Street - 74.jpg
    716.3 KB · Views: 157
88 Lozells Road in 1988, ordinary street scene apart from the advert for roll up tobacco - imagine that today and Foster Brothers, where every child was dragged for their clothes, also trying to work out if that is a ghost sign on the side of 245

Attachments

• 88 Lozells Road - 81.jpg
    88 Lozells Road - 81.jpg
    885.3 KB · Views: 158
377 Soho Road in 1975, Withers newsagents, plenty of name signs, on the side wall is a newspaper board for the Express and Star, two boards in the front window to place your postcard to sell your goods. Upstairs we have sash windows and net curtains, also like the child in the pushchair

Attachments

• 377 Soho Road - 75.jpg
    377 Soho Road - 75.jpg
    560.9 KB · Views: 112
This 71 Anderton Road in 1974, love the sign for Stratford House and Mrs Griffin and her " requisites", see the arched windows down the side and the leaded glass windows upstairs. See also the attic window and the ornamental brickwork around the eaves. Hve you also seen all that Corona pop sitting in the sun !!

Attachments

• 71 Anderton Road - 74.jpg
    71 Anderton Road - 74.jpg
    859 KB · Views: 132
88 Lozells Road in 1988, ordinary street scene apart from the advert for roll up tobacco - imagine that today and Foster Brothers, where every child was dragged for their clothes, also trying to work out if that is a ghost sign on the side of 245
Steve
I have stretched sideways the side of the wall on no 245. There is certainly something there, but not sure what.

88 Lozells Road - 1981 expanded sign on 245 berners st.jpg

Interesting warning on the advert for Park Drive in Victoria St. It just seems so tame by today's standards - Every Packet Contains A Government Health Warning - imagine what it would be now if ads like that were allowed.

Steve
I have stretched sideways the side of the wall on no 245. There is certainly something there, but not sure what.

View attachment 152477

well the wall is still there...remember fosters very well had a sat job just around the corner and use to buy our dads shirts from there for christmas and birthdays

lyn

Back