• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

Can I apologise for the quality of this picture , this is the Church Inn Great Hampton Row, garage next door and a blurred car in front . Seems to have been some redevelopment around if looking at the change in buildings. Also changes to the style of the frontage of the frontage along the left hand side.

View attachment 188081
I remember the garage next to the pub from the 70s, it was closed and the space and building at the back was used by a company whose name I can't remember.
I've just checked on Google Street View and I see there is a new building there - looks like a business at street level with three floors of flats above.

I have included this picture for interest value , my details say Old lady standing in Legge Lane Hockley, I like the view down the alley to the rear , the lady holding the bottle and the man standing smoking his pipe . An Off Licence judging by the sign over the door.

View attachment 188082
thats a great photo steve..not seen it before...wish we could find out where about on legge lane it was situated

lyn

Next we have Royal Albert corner of Park Lane and Upper Thomas Street, fine hanging Ansells sign, and a standard Ansells layout of cream tile work leaded windows and the dark banding above. Like how the building step up and the lorry at the top of the road, and a nice street lamp too

20210710144012_07.jpg

Last edited:
I have included this picture for interest value , my details say Old lady standing in Legge Lane Hockley, I like the view down the alley to the rear , the lady holding the bottle and the man standing smoking his pipe . An Off Licence judging by the sign over the door.

View attachment 188082
Bit of a mystery here. No off-license, or pub, is listed on Legge Lane in Kellys from 1921 omwards. It looks like the entrance is on whatever the street is, and noy a place on a corner, where the address might be on the other street. Would cettainly say time is not pre-1921\

thanks mike i would guess the photo was taken in the 30s or 40s and it was owned by mitchell and bultlers

lyn

First one tonight is Army and Navy in Great Brook Street from 1961, the photo is a bit washed out I am afraid, was dark, so I lightened it but then that lost some of the lighter detail. First thing we note are the two children stood outside, co incidence or are they waiting for someone to come out?, couple of delivery lorries on the left and a few cars and on the right is a building with a few signs on the front and a sign reading Juliet (?), I also saw the fine line of chimneys away to the left.
20210710144012_09.jpg

Next we have this fine old building The New Inn in Bromsgrove Street taken in June 1955, love the symmetry of the building all the way up, with pillars, leaded windows, small bay windows up to the pointed eaves at the top. Two ornamental lamp holders at each end of the building, ornate carving over the main entrance and two carved plaques either side of the central windows

20210710144012_10.jpg

The road with a slope is King Edwards Road and this is the White Swan taken in October 1960 , this is one of those pictures where your mind wanders, someone looking out the pub, children and a women talking, I assume , do they know each other are they related ? Window layout is unusual three on the first floor but 4 on the second but not quite in line. Building on the left look years old, door in the centre and then a line of single windows
20210710144012_11.jpg

I am afraid this is one of these " have I posted this before? " pictures, I did a search but its only as good as the words you put in !!, Its a well known location, Summer Lane with Royal George on the left, a fine selection of vehicles and the ESSO garage. As we look up Summer Lane there are a number of empty spaces especially on the left. Nice lamp posts and is that a rusty bus stop on the right hand side of the road near to us ?
20210710144326_02.jpg

One last one the Cross Keys in Steward Street , no denying its an Ansells pub with the size of those signs, fine etching on the doors and a lot of paneling. The building on the left has loads of character from the Barber Coffee essence poster on the wall and signs lower down ( Hawleys or Rawleys? ) to the jars in the window - taken in 1954 nothing like it stands today I imagine.

20210710144326_03.jpg

I know this is probably not the best place for this, it's just a "heads up" I spotted this morning. The travel photographer of the year exhibition is coming to NEC (is it still called that?) and I thought there would be those interested to know, anyway it's 16-19 March

Back with Roll 31 the first one is not a pub!!, corner of Great Hampton Street and Well Street, Barclays Bank with an amazing entrance all carved with the shields either side. Is /was that a Police phone box on the corner? Fine selection of cars - convertible Morris Minor on the right and a fine pick up across the road. You can just make out a bus in the distance too. Picture taken 19th March 1959
20210710144326_04.jpg

Back to pubs again this is the Abbey Tavern taken in 1954, on Key Hill with the corner of Hadley Street in front. The nearest buildings are all a state boarded up and windows missing but there is still a Whites lemonade sign on the wall . The blinds are still on these shops but they don't look like they have seen business in years. The advert for Park Drive is quite a shock these days but back then " All Flavour" !!

20210710144326_05.jpg

bank building still there steve..i have seen this one before..the man walking reminds me of winston churchill :D

lyn

Next up is the Railway Inn, on the corner of Great Francis Street and Cleveden Street, taken on the 27th September 1950. With a magnificent Lamp outside the corner entrance onto fine cobbled streets. The pub has those large windows with a curved top and three etched windows above, not the boarded up property to the left and a couple of shops further up the road, with the painted patch for an advert on the wall.

20210710144326_06.jpg

bank building still there steve..i have seen this one before..the man walking reminds me of winston churchill :D

lyn
Bound to happen Lyn !! I went for an interview in an office at the rear of this building for a draughtsman - didn't get it - just thought I would throw that in !

The bus, looks like a 29 on its was to Kingstanding, and has just pulled away from the bus stand. The bus stand, nearest the camera, is most likely for the 72 etc. services to West Bromwich and Dudley and other places in the Black Country.
The police box is well suited outside Barclays Bank.

Last edited:
Now I am sure this doesn't look like this any more this is the Eagle Park lane taken in 1969, fine tiled frontage and the Ansells squirrel on the sign, next to it a small property and then two fine three storey buildings - some sort of business? For some reason there is a Mini parked on the pavement down the road , and the lamp standard with the lamp at the end - no tubes then !
20210710144326_07.jpg

another location and pub that is long gone, this is the Abbey Vaults Park Road and Lodge Road, large three storey building with what looks like a large neon edged Atkinsons Ales sign. lots of road furniture, traffic bollards, Belisha beacons, keep left signs and those little arrows on the roundabouts. Love the curved roof line, and the properties going up the hill.

20210710144326_08.jpg

Interesting picture, this is the Duke of York 214 Aston Road / Pritchett Street, corner property with a small bay window upstairs, interesting couple of shops, the right hand one with its " end of lease sale" and the left hand shop / cafe with the mix of signs, a large Park Drive one and a Vimto and a Barber tea sign too.
The right hand building seems to be a bit more original with the smaller window panes.
20210710144326_09.jpg

Ingleby Arms in Ingleby Street, shiny black frontage and backing to the Ansells sign and that creamy colour one imagines for the rest of the frontage. The upright Ansells sign in the middle of the building is unusual in both style and font . Nice lamp and the Ford Pop? Love the downstairs windows to the pub and is that off license section on the left with its door?

20210710144728_02.jpg

We now have a famous city centre pub The Crown corner of Hill Street and Station Street taken in November 1962. Large pub wrapped around the corner. Interesting to see the first floor windows are leaded while the second floor ones are plain. First floor also has a selection of shapes above the windows and plasterwork between the windows. Couple of intersting points either end of the photo on the left we have a barbers pole and on the right there is a large lorry parked.

20210710144728_03.jpg

This next selection of pictures were posted some time ago by Astoness, 2011 actually ( I did check) but worth while bringing them back to the audience. apologies for the order of the picture, there are two before and two after rebuilding. The older two are of a " country pub" etched windows with the pub name and the large lamp outside. A couple of benches and a table add to the atmosphere and the painted end wall too.
In the older picture with the bungalow if you look into the background you can make out fields and hedges.
20210710144728_10.jpg
20210710144728_11.jpg20210710144728_12.jpg

20210710144830_02.jpg

We now have a famous city centre pub The Crown corner of Hill Street and Station Street taken in November 1962. Large pub wrapped around the corner. Interesting to see the first floor windows are leaded while the second floor ones are plain. First floor also has a selection of shapes above the windows and plasterwork between the windows. Couple of intersting points either end of the photo on the left we have a barbers pole and on the right there is a large lorry parked.

View attachment 188620
Henry's Blues House - great memories of good music evenings.
Is it still closed now?

the older two are the Hare & Hounds, which can just be read on the sign
yes quite right mike just round the corner from me...the original one went in the 30s to make way for the new one and that has since been demolished and recent new housing is on the site..

lyn

Back