• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

Church spire (post #931) is St Peter and St Paul's, the block of the flats to right were on Gladstone St I think and have recently (last few years) been demolished.

Next is the Bridge Inn Monument Road, and you can just make out the cast iron urinal with lamp over it very useful on dark evening I imagine. Taken 2nd March 1961 to the left of the people is that a " Bus clock" I would try and name it but there are too many experts !!

View attachment 178922
The clock is called a 'Bundy' clock to keep buses regulated where drivers would turn their key which would log the time on a paper roll inside. We used to annoy the drivers here by asking them to stamp our arms with their key.

The Bridge Inn in Monument Road in 1959 with some unusually placed street furniture. Instead of being against the wall that bench looks rather close to the road, and a Bundy Clock usually near kerbs is against the wall. The cast iron urinal (there is a thread for them) has it's own gas lamp which was useful. I suppose it all made sense.

attachment.php

From https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?34394-Another-Old-Pub&p=455777#post455777
I spotted information about this Bundy clock. It may be the reason it was sited close to the wall. It was moved here in June 1952, at the direction of The Council, from the other end of Monument Road bridge due to complaints about noise - presumably bus engine, crew chatter and so on. Given that Monument Road was not a quiet but busy road, pubs, the Monument Lane loco servicing shed.

copied from Monument Road thread.

Slightly different view Rocky Lane and a pub ( any ideas which one) with industrial building with lots of ventilators on the roof - smelters? and HP sauce to give so idea of location.
View attachment 187273
most annoying as i should remember the name...i used to pass it everytime i walked down rocky land to visit my sister

lyn

Now the world has quietened down after christmas I thought I would start posting some of the pictures I have been tidying up. They are a mix of old and new and due to a lot been pictures of pictures there is a chance of duplication - if this happens can you point it out and I will replace it hopefully with something a bit more unique.
The first selection from Roll 30 were taken in the 1990's of photos originally taken in 1964/65.

First we have the Crown Inn Cope Street, Ladywood, M & B pub with a nice street lamp on the corner, taken 29th September 1964, I assume a newsagents next door with the hoarding in front of the shop. On the corner of Springfield Street if I am reading it correctly.
20230108115702_02.jpg

Next we have 78 Springfield Street, Ladywood, on the 29th October 1964, I assume an Off -license / outdoor, three storeys with single rooms on the front judging by the windows, note also the tiny window on the side. The property next door seems a bit worse for wear, door and window bricked up and a first floor window broken.

20230108115702_03.jpg

We now move to Wheeler Street and The Welcome Inn, not sure what the road sign says . Unusual layout as the are doors everywhere and the layout of the rooms if hard to work out judging by the location and size of the windows with tall windows either end of the first floor but then small winds on the second. Note the M & B glass globe over the entrance. In the background there is a small single storey buildings with a chimney any ideas.
EDIT: From MikeJee - Owen St and Wheeley's lane
20230108115702_06.jpg

Last edited:
The Castle Inn on Prospect Row is next up, this imposing building with imposing window frames and the corner tower and spire seems to have most of its " dressing on the front as the side view is quiet plan. Note the sign on the end wall of the property " Tow -er possibly - Tea. and what looks like a bread van next to the Mini.

20230108115702_09.jpg

We now move to Wheeler Street and the Welcome Inn, not sure what the road sign says . Unusual layout as the are doors everywhere and the layout of the rooms if hard to work out judging by the location and size of the windows with tall windows either end of the first floor but then small winds on the second. Note the M & B glass globe over the entrance. In the background there is a small single storey buildings with a chimney any ideas.

View attachment 187917
I think this is at the corner of Owen St and Wheeley.s lane

The next photo is The Woodman, Easy Row, and I don't know where to start on this view, the three floors each have a different style to it, from the top, swags under the roof line with tiny leaded windows above the larger sash windows. two centre columns with one inset window, above the figure of the Woodman and dog is a broad brickwork band with a pediment above the figure ( sure it has a name for that style) alongside the figure on each side are a set of leaded windows and below that on the ground floor a selection of leaded and etched windows and doors with tow leaded lamps. The street lamp is quite ornate too.
20230108115702_11.jpg

The next photo is The Woodman, Easy Row, and I don't know where to start on this view, the three floors each have a different style to it, from the top, swags under the roof line with tiny leaded windows above the larger sash windows. two centre columns with one inset window, above the figure of the Woodman and dog is a broad brickwork band with a pediment above the figure ( sure it has a name for that style) alongside the figure on each side are a set of leaded windows and below that on the ground floor a selection of leaded and etched windows and doors with tow leaded lamps. The street lamp is quite ornate too.
View attachment 187922
Short film from January 1965 prior to demolition.
https://www.macearchive.org/films/atv-today-08011965-woodmans-arms-pub

Still on Roll 30 and we have The Justice Inn on Great Russell Street, corner entrance as they usually are , dark exterior and arched leaded windows and pillars between the windows. House to the right looks a little worse for wear with boarded up windows and corrugated iron sheet.

20230108120021_01.jpg

The next picture is The Sun, Bristol Road taken in January 1965, I recognise this picture but not sure if that is because I have looked over them so often !. ( do let me know if its a repeat). The tent over the hole in the ground is one of those things you dont see these days - usually red and white, GPO van by the side . Arched windows on the ground floor mirrored on the first . There is also a keep left bollard too.

20230108120021_02.jpg

This is the Station Inn, Monument Road, sash windows, on both floors with an unusual "bay window?) on the first floor. Intersting that the white corner turns into a chimney so we can assume there is a fireplace inside on the corner. The building on the left has an unusual layout of windows and while the guttering line looks straight, the part windows leads you to think there is a step in the building line somewhere.

20230108120021_03.jpg

The next picture is taken on trust that is is 109 Hockley Street, Hockley, as there is nothing to show, although the road sign does show Stuart Street which I assume is the other corner ? Corner property with two bay windows upstairs and two pediments either side of the doors and pub windows. Tiny little property to the right of the pub with a few signs next to that although we cannot see the shop.
20230108120021_05.jpg

Back