• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

NewSt Station 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same goes in the post office and police these days, David, you only need to have a degree, in the subject, business management, or a legal degree, no need to have ever done any sort of actual management or policing. ?????????paul

Theyre in the process of covering up the steels now,Old mohawk with a flexible covering, the design changed from a glass roof to a inflatable plastic due to the weight issue. It sits on the original concrete that was cut through to allow light in. There were concerns near the end of construction as to whether the concrete would be strong enough so they changed the design at the last minute, The original architect quit in disgust. Have to say i prefer the victorian architecture as well

I was in New Stree station the other day and was interested to see over the top of the hoardings opposite the ticket office the new atrium roof. Also had a look at the new barriers which are not yet in use. Was interested that the mechanism for reading the tickets and operating the gates is much narrower than those on the London Underground and railway stations in the South East

Another look from Swallow Street and Brunel Street. It was raining (again).

But at least it wasn't as heavy as it was when I was in London last weekend (Sunday was light rain, Monday was heavy).

15 days till the station opens. 19 days until Grand Central.

The view down Lower Severn St from John Bright St

Media eye from Station St

From the Smallbrook Queensway bridge. Looking down Dudley St to Station St

Media eye opposite the Bullring

The public square is still not finished

Ticket barriers at Moor Street were closed today, and was queues waiting to get out.

Imagine the rush hour queues here!

Access from the platforms to the concourse

Steps to I assume the concourse around Grand Central

Escalators now working

Doors - not sure where to though

A lift for those who can't walk up / down the stairs

General platform views.

A end from 10 and 11.

Still dark where not lit

Without trains, you can see all the way from 10B (where I was) to 7B!

A look at the new look platform 9B

Still some concrete on show

Navigation Street Footbridge - only cladding so far at the Hill Street end, from platform 9B towards 12B

The footbridge will be exit only from this date

The footbridge remains unchanged at the other end

Ticket barriers at Moor Street were closed today, and was queues waiting to get out.

Imagine the rush hour queues here!

They seem to cope with the barriers in London so presumably there is some formula to work out how many barriers are required. And the machinery for the barriers at New Street is much narrower than the older type barriers. I have yet to find out if my bus pass works the barriers because every time I have needed to use it, the ticket inspector has used his pass to let me through.

Does that sign mean that from 15th ALL passengers will HAVE to leave the station by the Navigation St exit. I assume not and that it is just bad phrasing

Does that sign mean that from 15th ALL passengers will HAVE to leave the station by the Navigation St exit. I assume not and that it is just bad phrasing

I think it means that ; from the 20th September, the Navigation footbridge is used to exit the station. Not to used as an entrance to the station.

I could be wrong.

As I no longer live in Birmingham could someone please tell me where the public square is, that is mentioned in #323 by Ellbrown? I can't quite place it or the Media Eye. I can see that its somewhere facing the Bull Ring and see the back of the Odeon, but what street will it be on? Everything is changes and I lose my bearing!

Judy

Pity some or more of the money could not have been spent on the Station Platform area`s

Or any of the money David. I think any changes on the platforms are merely where they have had to replace things which had to be ripped out to enable the modifications upstairs to be carried out. One could say that in some ways the Grand Central resembles a tart's boudoir, with the flashy bit on top all fancy and exotic, but the bits underneath cheap and nasty.

As I no longer live in Birmingham could someone please tell me where the public square is, that is mentioned in #323 by Ellbrown? I can't quite place it or the Media Eye. I can see that its somewhere facing the Bull Ring and see the back of the Odeon, but what street will it be on? Everything is changes and I lose my bearing!

Judy

It's near what is now St Martin's Queensway. The other side of the Bullring link bridge is Smallbrook Queensway.

While the bridge is closed, the furthest you can get on the bridge is to go down into TK Maxx.

Near where the old New Street Station entrance was before they closed it (should re-open by the end of September in it's new incarnation).

February 2013 as it was before.

The square is built where the void was.

August 2013

December 2014

January 2015

May 2015

September 2015 (you've seen these photos already)

Hope that helps!

Google Street Maps view from 2012, so 3 years out of date.

Thanks so much Ellbrown! It's been a few years since I visited Birmingham and these streets have changed beyond my recognition, but with your help and Google I have now placed the area. Although I knew Smallbrook Ringway (not Queensway!) I didn't know St Martins Queensway. I travelled back and forth just now on Google and now know where it is. Many thanks for the help and the great photos which help me visualise places.

Judy

I think it got renamed when the Bullring got redeveloped in the early 2000s (and the Inner ring road broken up).

Used to be St Martin's Circus Queensway around Manzoni Gardens (before that got demolished along with the old Bull Ring).

No problem.

The Odeon cinema is pretty much the same inside, other than it's been done up, same winding corridors and small screens. New seating though.

I even heard trains going past when I last went to that Odeon (before the film started).

The Moor Street link bridge is a quick link from Moor Street Station to New Street Station (entrance on Stephenson Street).

This time photos from Navigation Street to Stephenson Street.

Starting with a view from Suffolk Street Queensway with the Rotunda now with a Bullring banner all the way round!

The final eye - the first to be finished a few years ago, still waiting for the media eye treatment.

Bits to finish off from Navigation Street

Top of the ramp from Stephenson Place / Stephenson Street. Now the entrance to Grand Central and John Lewis (no longer The Pallasades). It is currently closed until Grand Central opens on the 24th September 2015.

Hi Judy
My wife and myself have not been in the city for many years the last time we was there was before any redevelelments
Was ever started in the city of Birmingham and we ran a pub in the centre of the bull ring
Which at one time was the matordor and it was sold and renamed and we had a couple of celebs to our pub
One was Alan towers ,and a comedian and big Jackie Charlton for the grand reopening of the pub he stayed at a hotel
On Broad street And he was there until four in the morning drinking the great Guinness by the Gallons
As every body whom came to the pub that night all chatted to jack and bought him a pint of Guinness
Which believe me was two tables together a long ones and shouldered glass to glass all over the tables
We also had a well known celeb from the radio station of the BBC he had a morning slot of his own
And he asked me if I could provide him with prize tickets for two people every morning for a free lunch and a bottle of wine
For a prize on his show for radio listeners to his morning show whom could be first to answer a question on the BullRing
Where the big dome is now was where we had the pub and that's when they started the demo of the market area

And compulsory purchases was been made to the city trader according to our daughter she said we will not recognise the city of brum and we will also get lost and we are very intrigued to see this eye our self's and we believe there is a grand opening
Of this new street station which we are also eager to come and see it to our self's
So in order we do not get lost we are coming in by train on that day by train from Worcester we may also get to the library
If its possible so it should be an eventual days outing for us
I do have an office in tyseley but I never venture into the city I drive by the M 5 via 42 maypole exit
I will take pictures of our outing all being well as we have a lot of memory s of brum,,
Take care , Astonian,,,,

Hi paul
How are you keeping fine I hope haven't been on for a good while now as I am loosing my strength health wise
Still I have to take day by day I probably served loads of time if you frequented the place
We could have ran O'Neil's old place on broad street when they turned it to an Irish pub but I declined and stuck with the bull ring
Because we had a good resturaunt and dance hall and a good trade with the old market traders great bunch and very loyal guys
Grafters as well after dark that bull ring was a different world believe me with characters very shady ones indeed
Best wishes paul Alan,

I am sad to hear of your health problems Alan, I wish you well and hope to hear more from you. Kind regards Paul Stacey.

Ellbrown - Thanks for the update on development! Navigation Street never looked like that when I lived in Brum!!! But, I do recognise what we used to call Chetwyns Corner.

Astonian - Hope you enjoy your visit to Brum and will look forward to your photos.

I just received this link from Crosscountry trains which was interesting:
https://youtu.be/1ydt5bUSbP8

Well Judy It doesn't look like that at the moment, and I can't see the railtrack area EVER looking as bright and pleasant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back