• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Newey

L

LHStringer

:confused2:
Hi, I am researching a branch of the Newey family and interested in any info or links to the following:
Thomas Henry Newey b. 1824 B'ham
Thomas Henry Newey b. 1846 B'ham
William A. Newey b. 1848 B'ham
Walter Stratford Newey b. 1849 Burton Upon Trent
Herbert Alpha Newey b. 1851 Burton upon Trent
Susan Maria Parkinson nee Newey b. 1852 B'ham
They lived in Duddeston cum Nechells for some of the time.
thanks

hi a few details i can find are as follows.

walter stratford newey and herbert alpha newey were christened on 21.2.1851 at burton upon trent. father thomas newey mother susan

herbert alpha newey married ellen mary george on 29-3-1870 at bordesley warwick

im sure other people will have more. Unusual names anyway!

chris

Thanks Christine - I have that info already from the IGI. Yes, they are unusual names - Herbert Alpha had a son called Alpha Herbert! I would love to find more info about their parents Thomas and Susan, and also their descendents. My g-grandfather was Herbert Alpha's son - Herbert George Walter Newey, bn 25.12.1870, also in B'ham.
anyway - thanks for such a prompt reply! :)

not sure whether you have this as well but in 1851 census the family are as follows
thomas newey 27 engine fitter
susan 26
thomas h 4
william a 3
walter s 1
herbert a 1 mth living in burton upon trent

in 1861 now living at 127 dartmouth street birmingham
susan widow 35 a malt crusher
thomas h 15
william a 13
walter 11
and susan 9

also william murcott brother in law 24
and herbert alfred newey son 9

chris

thanks for that Christine. I am having real trouble tracking various Neweys down in 1891/1901 - I think there are a lot of transcription errors. Also
I wonder if anyone knows which branch of the Neweys set up Newey Bros - the company.

give any details you have on the neweys missing in 1891 and 1901 and im sure everyone will try to find them for you

chris

the records of newey bros from 1864 to 1934 are in the bham city archives

Last edited:
thanks Chris - I will have to try and get up to the library some time. I just hoped that someone may have had connections with Newey Bros.
I am looking for the following two in particular in 1891:

Herbert George Walter Newey bn. 1870 B'ham
Arthur W. G. Newey bn. 1874 B'ham

Louisa :)

in 1901 there is an arthur w newey b. 1873 married to alice m
children elsie arthur and nellie

these were living with arthurs parents francis and emma

also a arthur newey b. 1868 married to nellie with children harry and minnie

could either of these be your family?

chris

the first one is definitely wrong as his mother was dead by 1890 and father was Herbert Alpha Newey. I think the second one is unlikely as the dob is so wrong - but thanks anyway!
Louisa

Here is Herbert Alpha 1891
Place: Birmingham -Warwickshire
Civil Parish: Birmingham
Ecclesiastical Parish: St Gabriel
Address: 37 Coventry St.

Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born
OXLEY James Head M M 47 Agriculturl Mchne Fttr(Em'ee) Oxfordshire - Banbury
OXLEY Isabella Wife M F 42 Co. Cork - -
NEWEY Herbert A. Lodger W M 37 Landscape Artist Staffordshire - Burton On Trent
Disability: Stroke
Seems his wife died and he has had a stroke.

So could this be your Arthur in 1891
1891 Census
Place: Birmingham -Warwickshire Civil Parish: Birmingham Ecclesiastical Parish: All Saints
Address: 2 Western Place

Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born NEWEY Charles H Head M M 28 Stationary Eng Driver(Em'ee) Unknown
NEWEY Mary Wife M F 27 - Unknown -
NEWEY Mary L Dau S F 4 - Warwickshire - B'ham All Saints
NEWEY Annie M Dau S F 2 - Warwickshire - B'ham All Saints
NEWEY Arthur Brothr S M 17 Engine&machine Maker(Em'ee) Unknown
WOOLEY Annie Sislaw S F 25 - Unknown

Don't worry too much about ages being one, or two years out on Census' as they were often rounded up, or down and given wrong if someone other than the person named gave the info'.
Names were spelled the way they sounded, or how the numerator heard them spoken.

Hope this is of help :)

Pom

Last edited:
thanks Pom, but Arthur and Herbert only had a sister, Ellen; not a brother Charles. I'll keep a note of it, just in case - thanks. I suspect that the name has been wrongly transcribed, but I've tried all the combinations I can think of!
You are right about Herbert the painter tho - he had left his first wife and 2 other common-law wives by 1891. I have traced him through to his death in 1815.
thanks anyway,
Louisa

Hi. To all the Neweys,
I am new to Birmingham History.
I am looking for information about Thomas Newey born around 1824 in Birmingham. He moved with his Wife Susan and family (1851 census) to Burton as an engine fitter, this coinsides with the railways opening.
at this time he had 4 children Thomas H (4) William R (2) Walter S (1) and Herbert A (baby) at some time later they returned to Birmingham where he died leaving a widdow with 4 children (1861 census)
Thomas Newey jnr was my great Grandfather who I understand was in partnership with his brother Walter Stratford who were both wireworkers, this fits with the Newey Bros. Hooks and Eye business but I dont have any evidence of this. Thomas married and had 2 children William Walter and Francis Ellen. Thomas died quite young and his widdow and family were taken care of by his brother Walter Stratford and his wife Martha.
Francis Ellen married Wallace Stanley Smith my grandparents and the had 2 sons Stanley Stratford and Frank Newey. My father Stanley married Lillian Harper and produced 2 children Avril and me David Stratford. I have 2 children Joanne and Stephen David Stratford.
But where did the Stratford come from?
I would welcome any information or can I be of help to you?
David

Oh gosh this is when I wish my Dad was alive. He often spoke of the Neweys and how they did so well by inventing a hair grip. At age 15 I wasn't so impressed as I am now.:(

I have Neweys in my research too.

William Thomas Newey (1825-1890), wife Matilda. William was a gimlet maker and, by 1881, was employing 36 staff. His sons John, Thomas and Joseph were also in that trade.

This is a message for David - your family and mine are the same. Herbert Newey was my GG Grandfather. I have quite a lot of info on the family, but I'm sorry to say, I haven't yet found any evidence linking them directly to the famous Newey Bros firm. I am at work at the moment, but can post more info tomorrow.
good to find another Newey.
Louisa

My sister says that the family story goes that Newey Bros were Thomas and Walter both trained as wireworkers. Walter and his wife cared for his sister in law (after the early death of his brother) and her children untill the children married and he died. we have copies of his Will.
We understood that his wealth came from the sale of a business that could have been Newey Bros.

Hi. To all the Neweys,
I am new to Birmingham History.
I am looking for information about Thomas Newey born around 1824 in Birmingham. He moved with his Wife Susan and family (1851 census) to Burton as an engine fitter, this coinsides with the railways opening.
at this time he had 4 children Thomas H (4) William R (2) Walter S (1) and Herbert A (baby) at some time later they returned to Birmingham where he died leaving a widdow with 4 children (1861 census)
Thomas Newey jnr was my great Grandfather who I understand was in partnership with his brother Walter Stratford who were both wireworkers, this fits with the Newey Bros. Hooks and Eye business but I dont have any evidence of this. Thomas married and had 2 children William Walter and Francis Ellen. Thomas died quite young and his widdow and family were taken care of by his brother Walter Stratford and his wife Martha.
Francis Ellen married Wallace Stanley Smith my grandparents and the had 2 sons Stanley Stratford and Frank Newey. My father Stanley married Lillian Harper and produced 2 children Avril and me David Stratford. I have 2 children Joanne and Stephen David Stratford.
But where did the Stratford come from?
I would welcome any information or can I be of help to you?
David

This is a message for David - your family and mine are the same. Herbert Newey was my GG Grandfather. I have quite a lot of info on the family, but I'm sorry to say, I haven't yet found any evidence linking them directly to the famous Newey Bros firm. I am at work at the moment, but can post more info tomorrow.
good to find another Newey.
Louisa
Hi.
I have posted more info on the site but am looking forward to your info.
If you send me your email I will send a link to our family tree.
David

According to Grace's Guide, the Newey Bros business started in 1798. In 1861, according to Cornish's Trade Directory, the proprietor was James George Newey. I will start to research that branch now. My family is related to Lorna Kathleen Newey (1890-1945), grand-daughter of Christopher Isaac Newey, an architect/land agent/quantity Surveyor. According to family gossip she was an active member of the business, and may have invented one of their fastening products, but I have not yet traced her family connections to the owners. If anyone else knows aught about her, I would like to hear...

BTW, Cornish's Classified Trades Directory 1861 can be downloaded free from Google Books, and has a large list of Neweys in a wide variety of occupations.

Hi Newey researchers. I'm particularly interested in the artistic talents of the Neweys. The family tree seems to be stuffed with architects, artists, painters and designers. From Isaac Newey the architect in the 1830s, to his son Christopher, another architect, to Harry Foster Newey the famous painter and his son Erle Foster Newey, including my Great-grandfather George E Newey who painted the lids of biscuit tins for Huntley & Palmer biscuits (and 3 more generations followed him into the same business). There's also Herbert A Newey born 1824 and listed as a landscape painter in Birmingham in 1891. And my own father who won a scholarship to art school but was encouraged to become a coal miner instead.

If an artist or architect crops up in your Newey-related research I'd like to know about it. The artistic gene must link them all together somehow. Jon Newey (architect)

LHStringer
user-offline.png
Newbie Brummie

Join DateMay 2008LocationEssexPosts12

icon1.gif
Newey

:confused2:
Hi, I am researching a branch of the Newey family and interested in any info or links to the following:
Thomas Henry Newey b. 1824 B'ham
Thomas Henry Newey b. 1846 B'ham
William A. Newey b. 1848 B'ham
Walter Stratford Newey b. 1849 Burton Upon Trent
Herbert Alpha Newey b. 1851 Burton upon Trent
Susan Maria Parkinson nee Newey b. 1852 B'ham
They lived in Duddeston cum Nechells for some of the time.
thanks. Type in search-- Neweys and there is more info. Len.​

In 1858, I understand that Thomas Newey was based at 70 Navigation Street, in premises which Ash, Petit & Co also occupied at around the same date. If anyone with an interest in the Neweys has a photograph of the building, I should like to hear from them

John

Hi im interested in any neweys out there. I'm related to James George newey , he is my 4x grt grandfather . Id like to fill out the tree with more of the modern branch side :)

Sent from my RM-914_eu_euro1_327 using Tapatalk

Hi im interested in any neweys out there. I'm related to James George newey , he is my 4x grt grandfather . Id like to fill out the tree with more of the modern branch side :)

Hi. James George Newey was my 3 x great Uncle. His father James Newey (b1768) was my 4 x great grandfather. I had no idea that James George Newey was connected with Newey & Ayre. Would willing share any information I have :)

Hiya Jules65. I spotted your other notice on the other thread . So your Ann is the lady born about 1806 christened 28th July 1806? Who im not quite sure but married a Mr mills? :S Yes it'd be great to swap information .

Hi. James George Newey was my 3 x great Uncle. His father James Newey (b1768) was my 4 x great grandfather. I had no idea that James George Newey was connected with Newey & Ayre. Would willing share any information I have :)

send me an instant message
amy

Ive been today to look at the archives held at the Birmingham library for the newey company . They have 12 boxes, mostly sales books . Had a look through 4 of the boxes (1,2,10 & 11 for reference) Ive taken some images of the documents. If anyone wants any personal copies of the documents, just drop me a message.

What's the oldest neweys everyone has ? I'm still trying to fill in the descendants to make a super newey tree .

the newey factory that made hooks and eyes etc and is also by royal appointment is still there in brearley st...

lyn

the newey factory that made hooks and eyes etc and is also by royal appointment is still there in brearley st...

lyn

Yes ive got a photo of the building . Does anyone know if the building that they used on loveday street is still standing ? I haven't found any print advertisement's with the neweys and that building.

And yes thanks I spotted that grave photo before thankyou. I'm on a mission to get a photo of james George newey. There must be one out there somewhere ..

Back