• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Moseley school of art

Was wondering why the guy is wearing an army uniform on the end (far right) in 1956? He looks old enough to be a teacher and I appreciate there was still National Service in 1956, but can't work out why he's in uniform. Viv.

He's probably representing the school cadets Viv.
The Boys School here still has cadets, they are Royal Engineers.

Thanks Maypolebaz.

Don't see any joker who appeared twice, at each end of the photo. We always had one on our large group photos. Viv.

this had to be taken in 3 seperate shots folks as its a very long photo...wonder if any of our members are on it

lyn

You know that I am on there somewhere Lyn. It's very difficult to pick me out. I have a copy so I'll take a closer look. The guy in the uniform is an ex student.

Dave A

You know that I am on there somewhere Lyn. It's very difficult to pick me out. I have a copy so I'll take a closer look. The guy in the uniform is an ex student.

Dave A

I looked at my copy and sure enough I got the chop!

Dave A

Dave and John, I'm on the bit that's missing,

Iv'e been to several reunions at The Bull.

Great school some of the happiest years of my life.

Pete B.

Dave and John, I'm on the bit that's missing,

Iv'e been to several reunions at The Bull.

Great school some of the happiest years of my life.

Pete B.

Hello there Mr. Bowden! Not the happiest times of my life. However, not an experience I would have missed. On a more somber note...Joe (Melvin) Trow, called to say that Vic Spencer had passed away.

Dave A

Dave is that the 'Vic Spencer' that went on to work at Mulliners then to Standard Triumph? If so that is very sad news to me as well. I worked with a few ex MSA pupils who became Body in White draughtsmen at Standard Triumph having started at Mulliners.

Dave is that the 'Vic Spencer' that went on to work at Mulliners then to Standard Triumph? If so that is very sad news to me as well. I worked with a few ex MSA pupils who became Body in White draughtsmen at Standard Triumph having started at Mulliners.

Not sure...I have very little knowledge of what my ex school mates did after we left school, but he was 75 years old like the rest of us, if that helps...

Dave A

Dave A

I did manage to do this after all this time...I have all 3 years I was there and have inked me and my best friend (and still is) I'm on the upper left.
Dave A

Attachments

• InkedIMG_20171220_0003_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_20171220_0003_LI.jpg
    834.8 KB · Views: 56
At the moment there are tarpaulins covering the building for work to make it a community centre

I am now 85 now, so I have lost track of all my MSA school chums. Anyone STILL around on this list from the 1940s, that went there???

That doesn't make any sense to me John...in the 3rd row, 10th from the left Malcolm Smith and to his left is John Polhill (circled)
Dave A
Dave I'm 9th from the guy in uniform, and Brian Hill is 8th, Polhill is on the far left of photo last but one.

Dave I'm 9th from the guy in uniform, and Brian Hill is 8th, Polhill is on the far left of photo last but one.
I realized that you were referring to the previous photo. FYI, I've attached a picture taken outside the Bull at one of our reunions. Please note the presence of Mr Price on the far left.

Attachments

• 50th MSA Anniversary @ the  Bull.jpg
    50th MSA Anniversary @ the Bull.jpg
    409 KB · Views: 37
I am now 85 now, so I have lost track of all my MSA school chums. Anyone STILL around on this list from the 1940s, that went there???

A friend of mine was at Moseley around that time, Ken Hadley, he would have been 88 this year. He may be someone you would have known.
While on this thread, there was an item on Antique Road Show today about the illustrator, Harry Wingfield who had worked on the Ladybird books. I seem to recall Ken mentioning this artist, does anyone know if he(Harry Wingfield) was Birmingham based?

hi dave the job does not look finished to me so maybe the balls will be last on

lyn

Yeah, definitely needs the balls.

Nice drainpipe, not sure about the colour. One less building to worry about - for now. Viv.

Back