• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Moor Street Station

So, if the plans go through, lyn, your, and our, worries on the frontage are resolved

thats great mike as it looks as though the old frontage will stay although i have to say we have heard this before and things have gone wrong so fingers crossed:) seeing is believing

This is a picture I have posted before but from it you will see that it appears that the old frontage will actually be extended. You will also see the point that I have made several times that the front entrance to 'Curzon Street Station' will actually be in Moor Street and the two stations will be connected by the new foot bridge..

Some details here of a couple of forthcoming events designed to explain impact of HS2 on our city.

Last edited:
Moor Street concourse has had two distinct periods. First the GWR/BR station that was in use until Snow Hill Station reopened and then in modern times following the Chiltern franchise. .

This is a view looking into the concourse in 1976...500185.jpg

And then to 1982 with a Stratford train on what was then platform 2

140455.jpg

I have copied this from a post which has been posted to day on railway forum
http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2019/06/26/plans-submitted-for-2bn-midlands-rail-upgrade/
Proposed investment projects
Bordesley Chords (2026-2033):
Two new viaducts to link services from the South West and East Midlands in to Birmingham Moor Street station and link to HS2 at Curzon Street (Cost £900-£950m)

One of the chords will allow trains from the new stations on the Camp Hill Line to come into Moor Street and the other chord will face the other ways and allow trains from Leicester and other cities in the East Midlands to come into Moor Street and allow better connections with the HS2 station next door.

Last edited:
Another perspective is the view of the Moor Street station was from the Rotunda when the new Selfridge Building was under construction. In those days the old Moor Street station was disused. The goods shed adjacent had been demolished for the new foundations, but the other underground goods shed remained.

2497014.jpg

The second view shows what remained of the goods shed2497015.jpg

Platform 1 and 2 of the 1987 station was open though as you can see the late 1980s canopy. I remember using the station as a kid in the 1990s. That was rebuilt into the Edwardian look between 2003 and 2006. With platforms 3 and 4 restored by 2010 for Chiltern Railways.

I don't think that Moor Street ever closed. The Warwickshire services continued to use Moor Street although they were diverted into New Street on Sundays. New Platforms, now numbered 1 & 2 were built on the Snow Hill lines when the tunnel was reopened and trains then ran through to Snow Hill leaving the original Moor Street platforms disused

Moor Street old station was closed as access was possible for the new platforms from Moor Street. A new booking office was built on the down side to Snow Hill. I have worked in both the old Moor Street and the new Booking office there. With the new arrangements for Chiltern, the booking office was located again on the old station, but not in the original place. That place became a coffee shop, at least in part.

Before the old Moor Street closed there was a visit by a Talyllyn exhibit on a low loader, that also was seen at Platform 1 at Birmingham International Station.

181210.jpg

The modern platform 1 does lead out of the Snow Hill tunnel towards the Bordesley Viaduct. This Chiltern Railways train was at platform 1, early in January 2020.

Interesting to see that photo, Thanks. I was never on that part of Moor Street Station in the old days as I never got past the ticket barriers. I did, of course, catch glimpses of it as we went past it into the tunnel to Snow Hill. Also I have never before seen the goods platform and buildings on the left hand side.

DMU's, buses with metal wheels. ;) I see then if I am in Paignton by the level crossing in the town centre. Bone shakers which are a pain in the proverbial to road users and pedestrians. :eek:

The Pacers which have now been withdrawn were actually Leyland Nationals on railway bogies but all other DMUs are properly designed heavy rail coaches. If they are bone-shakers blame the track not the trains.

You have more modern trains I believe in the West Midlands, David. The local lines (GW) had old rattle cans here. Maybe since lockdown - I haven't been in Paignton since February this year - there is newer stock.

You have more modern trains I believe in the West Midlands, David. The local lines (GW) had old rattle cans here. Maybe since lockdown - I haven't been in Paignton since February this year - there is newer stock.
In North Devon our old uncomfortable two car rattlers are gone, we have 3 car class 158 and 17 trains a day on a weekday.

Bob

Class 116 DMU at Stratford-Upon-Avon.

On midsummers day, 21st June 1986, a pair of Tyseley allocated Class 116 3-car DMU sets, with 53872 leading, are seen at Stratford-Upon-Avon with a late evening service to Birmingham. Within a few years this familiar scene would vanish as Class 150s took over local services in the West Midlands area. In 2011, the 150s are being replaced by new Derby built Class 172 DMUs.

1594820216381.png

Class 116 DMU at Stratford-Upon-Avon.

On midsummers day, 21st June 1986, a pair of Tyseley allocated Class 116 3-car DMU sets, with 53872 leading, are seen at Stratford-Upon-Avon with a late evening service to Birmingham. Within a few years this familiar scene would vanish as Class 150s took over local services in the West Midlands area. In 2011, the 150s are being replaced by new Derby built Class 172 DMUs.

View attachment 146717
i am sad Lloyd i know but l like dmus. ever since i had a go at the controls of one with my brother in law
60 years ago.:grinning:

Back