• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Moor Street Station

Re: The Building of Moor Street Station

Couple of pictures advertising the re-opening of Moor St station on 11th December 2010

So glad to see the old Station has had had some TLC after years of decay, my old Dad must have been turning in
his grave seeing the state of it, he carried goods from there to Smithfield Market by hoss+cart for 40 years or more,he retired in 1949 and died a year later, Bernard

Went to Moor Street station today for the "opening" of the new platforms.

Got there are 7.30am as the steam train was due in at 8am.

First picture shows the new platforms when I first got there, 7.30am.

Second picture shows the steam train that pulled the carriages IN. There was also another steam train the other end to pull the carriages OUT (to London).

Third picture shows the steam train that pulled the carriages OUT (to London) - Earl of Mount Edgcumbe.

Fourth picture, a reminder of how much smoke and steam these things belch out

Nice photos never mind the smoke guibert enough diesel has been pumped out over the years.:(

Was the tank a "GWR Jinty", and the other a " GWR Manor Class" I think the photo's supurbe and so glad to see moore st so pristine again.
paul

Was the tank a "GWR Jinty", and the other a " GWR Manor Class"? paul

Hello, Paul,
Like guilbert, I'm no expert but I think you'll find that the Jinty wasn't a Great Western Railway engine. It was a nickname given to a London, Midland and Scottish Railway Class 3F 0-6-0T (Tank) engine designed by Sir Henry Fowler, Chief Mechanical Engineer of the Midland Railway and later the LMS. 422 Jinties were built between 1924 and 1930. Ten of these pretty little locomotives still exist; five of which are in operational condition and four either undergoing or awaiting overhaul. The tenth Jinty is kept as a source of spare parts and it's highly unlikely it will ever steam again.
The black loco is - as guilbert says - a 0-6-0PT (Pannier Tank), 5700 Class, Collett-designed, standard GWR shunter. 863 were built between 1929 and 1949, making them the second most-produced British class of steam locomotive. Sixteen of them have been preserved; nine of which are operational, four are undergoing restoration, one is on static display and the last two are both Tyseley engines, one is out on loan and the other is in storage.
A GWR Manor is much smaller, lighter and less powerful than the Castle Class engine photographed by guilbert. Best regards, David

Last edited:
Thanks david I always thought the "Jinty" was only built in Swinden so thats my mistake thanks for the information.
paul

Excellent photo's Gilbert. The 0-6-0 PT shown, we used to call them 'matchboxes' in the 50's It is great to see Moor street returned to life and doing what it was built for!!! Looking at the 'stranded' railway scene of last week, we were a bit hasty scraping all the steam don't you think I wounder when that fabled strategic steam loco reserve located somewhere in Wales will be put to good use. We could certainly use them!!.

pistonvalve.

Here are a few photos of the Birmingham Moor Street Family Fun Day 11 December https://my.bus.photos.fotopic.net/c1923299.html please do not take all the photos to serious as many of the titles are in fun, but i would like the Moor Street Station sign in my back garden as it woul look nice

The next thing is to edit down the video for YouTube

It really brings back memories seeing pictures of the old station, my Dad "Big Joe" as everyone called him, must have started work there
not long after he came out of the army following the Great War.I was born in 1930 and used to go with him sometimes during the war.
he delivered fruit and veg to Smithfield Market. can remember Francis Nichells, Randle Bro and Parsons and many more. Bernard
I should have said he was a carter with Gods Wonderful Railway.

First time I've been through Moor Street and Snow Hill since Platform's 3 and 4 was opened.

I took these on the train as it pulled out of Moor Street, heading south.

Birmingham Moor Street - new tracks - Chiltern Railways by ell brown, on Flickr

Birmingham Moor Street - new tracks - Platform's 3 and 4 by ell brown, on Flickr

Birmingham Moor Street - new tracks by ell brown, on Flickr

Birmingham Moor Street - new tracks - new bridge by ell brown, on Flickr

For my other Moor Street Station photos view this set on Flickr Moor Street Station, Birmingham

Got some photos of the reopened platforms 3 and 4.

Before that, here's the train I arrived on on the through platforms

It's confusing that the through Platforms are 1 and 2, so from left to right it is 5 (not in use but has that steam train on it), 4, 3, 1 (to Snow Hill, Worcester etc) and 2 (to Stratford, Leamington, Marylebone etc.).

A new London Midland Class 172

Birmingham Moor Street Station - London Midland 172 342 by ell brown, on Flickr

A Chiltern Railways Class 168 Clubman on Platform 4

Birmingham Moor Street Station - Chiltern Railways 168 108 - Selfridges, Rotunda and Pavilions by ell brown, on Flickr

Birmingham Moor Street Station - Chiltern Railways 168 108 - Selfridges, Rotunda and Pavilions by ell brown, on Flickr

Birmingham Moor Street Station - Chiltern Railways 168 108 - Rotunda and Pavilions by ell brown, on Flickr

Looking down to the restored Water Tower

A Chiltern Railways Mainline train is parked on the far right

Birmingham Moor Street Station - Water tower by ell brown, on Flickr

Platform on the other side

Birmingham Moor Street Station - platform 4 by ell brown, on Flickr

Bike rack

Birmingham Moor Street Station - bike rack by ell brown, on Flickr

New station building in Edwardian style. Think it went up sometime between 2003 and 2006

Birmingham Moor Street Station - new Edwardian style station building by ell brown, on Flickr

Later took this shot on my mobile heading home. The ticket machines that "eats" your OUT ticket (I later went back through Snow Hill and the gates was open there).

Birmingham Moor Street Station - ticket machines by ell brown, on Flickr

A photo of the station staff in 1920. I expect most of these men would have served in WW1 - well except for the lad top left. I imagine the job they had in 1920 would have been a true haven compared with their war experiences. And I bet the trains would have run on time too. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1395735835.109151.jpg

Thanks Paul. So even the young lad (top left) must have served. He looks so young in the face. I think the job they were doing in the station in 1920 must have been such a pleasure to do given their experiences. I wondered if the photo was for the records or some special occasion. Can anyone name the jobs they were doing from what they're wearing? I'm guessing the chap with the bow-tie had something to do with the station buffet. Viv.

Hi Derek - roll of Baco foil - that's funny!! At least the staff in the photo would probably still recognise Moor Street. Viv.

Yes a much 'moor' civilised station than the 'new' New Street station. I wonder when they will re-lay the track to the vacant platform side? There was some talk about diverting some of the Derby/Gloucester traffic on to this platform via the Midland Camp Hill line.

Mike.

Drivers in the mess room at Moor Street Station 14th October 1969.

Attachments

• Drivers at Moor Street Station..jpg
    Drivers at Moor Street Station..jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 49
Back