• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

MILLS, John Thomas

theodore

master brummie
John T. Mills b. 1886 Cradley Heath, Staffs. Father Arthur, mother Mary Ann. Older sister and brother, Beatrice and Joseph. One address known (1903) Cross street, Netherton (number?). Have not found a single census for him (after much searching) and about to give up but hoping some one seeing this posting may be able to help.
Regards
Peter

John T. Mills b. 1886 Cradley Heath, Staffs. Father Arthur, mother Mary Ann. Older sister and brother, Beatrice and Joseph. One address known (1903) Cross street, Netherton (number?). Have not found a single census for him (after much searching) and about to give up but hoping some one seeing this posting may be able to help.
Regards
Peter
hi i take it you got that info from his ww1 war records...will take another look for you

lyn

I think I can see him on the 1901 and 1911 census. Living on Cross St in 1901 with wife and children.

He is listed as the son in law of Arthur and Mary Ann Willings (on familysearch). Not sure of the actual relationship.

I think I can see him on the 1901 and 1911 census. Living on Cross St in 1901 with wife and children.

He is listed as the son in law of Arthur and Mary Ann Willings (on familysearch). Not sure of the actual relationship.
mark he was born in 1886 so cant be married with children on the 1901 or 1911...next of kin on war records gives his parents and siblings and he is down as single...joined in 1903 address cross st..bit confused now so will double check..not sure this is our man

lyn

Last edited:
mark he was born in 1886 so cant be married with children on the 1901 or 1911...next of kin on war records gives his parents and siblings..

lyn

Not sure what's not right then but there are few things that match.

Anyway should be Wellings in 1901. And this John appears to be the illegitimate son of Mary Ann Mills who subsequently married an Arthur Wellings.

Ok, I've changed my mind. I think the person may actually be John Thomas Wellings b1886, the above John's half brother, the son of Arthur Wellings and Mary Ann Mills.

Hi Lyn, MWS

Yes info from his service papers.

Will check out the above info from MWS and see if I can sort it out regards marriage Mary Ann Mills and Arthur Wellings.

Thanks for your replies

Peter

Do any of his army records lists a full dob?
far as i know they dont mark which has always surprised me...just gives ages in years and months..it does give names of parents and siblings

lyn

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
There is a Chelsea Pension Record for a Joseph Wellings of about the right age who appears to be in the Worcestershire Regiment. I think it's on fold3 though.

Everything else matches as well. If it is him then he wasn't 18 in 1903.
just had a better look at his record and it says he was wounded in action

lyn

There is a Chelsea Pension Record for a Joseph Wellings of about the right age who appears to be in the Worcestershire Regiment. I think it's on fold3 though.

Everything else matches as well. If it is him then he wasn't 18 in 1903.
Isn't Joseph his brother? Based on the next of kin info I posted in post #9

Hi All

Have checked the records for John Thomas Wellings and i am sure he is the John Thomas Mills who enlisted in the Worcesters May1903. But why enlist under the name Mills? All the pieces fit in nicely (with the odd ?) Beatrice was younger than John but service record states older. All other records, birth, census etc. suggest its him. Thank you all for your help which is much appreciated. Service papers do not give date of birth for an enlisting man only his (given) age at the time he signs on.
Regards
Peter

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Hi All

Have checked the records for John Thomas Wellings and i am sure he is the John Thomas Mills who enlisted in the Worcesters May1903. But why enlist under the name Mills? All the pieces fit in nicely (with the odd ?) Beatrice was younger than John but service record states older. All other records, birth, census etc. suggest its him. Thank you all for your help which is much appreciated.
Regards
Peter
do you have a birth registration or birth cert for him under mills ?

lyn

Hi All

Have checked the records for John Thomas Wellings and i am sure he is the John Thomas Mills who enlisted in the Worcesters May1903. But why enlist under the name Mills? All the pieces fit in nicely (with the odd ?) Beatrice was younger than John but service record states older. All other records, birth, census etc. suggest its him. Thank you all for your help which is much appreciated. Service papers do not give date of birth for an enlisting man only his (given) age at the time he signs on.
Regards
Peter
hi peter i cant see where it says beatrice was older than john on his service records nor can i find a birth registration yet for a john thomas wellings...i could only suggest you get the birth cert for john thomas wellings which mws mentioned to find out the name of his parents on it

lyn

John Thomas Wellings was reg. Jun qtr 1886 Dudley (which covers Netherton) mmn Mills.

Arthur Wellings and Mary Ann Mills marriage reg. Dec qtr 1882 Dudley. She had already had a number of children, including a John, hence my initial incorrect suggestion.

John Thomas Wellings was reg. Jun qtr 1886 Dudley (which covers Netherton) mmn Mills.

Arthur Wellings and Mary Ann Mills marriage reg. Dec qtr 1882 Dudley. She had already had a number of children, including a John, hence my initial incorrect suggestion.
ahh got it now mark...in that case for some reason he signed up under his moms maiden name

lyn

hi peter i cant see where it says beatrice was older than john on his service records nor can i find a birth registration yet for a john thomas wellings...i could only suggest you get the birth cert for john thomas wellings which mws mentioned to find out the name of his parents on it

lyn
There is an "O" next to Beatrice and Joseph's names - I assumed this meant older

Correct, (O) older (Y) younger.

Birth record for John as per above from MWS also parents marriage details correct.

1911 census states 8 children from marriage 4 still alive.

Chelsea Pension Record for Joseph Wellings, this is Johns; older brother.

Peter

I have just viewed records on a Gen site for Beatrice Wellings , it states she had a brother John Mills in 1876 but also a brother John Thomas Wellings in 1886 Dudley and gives his address in Rowley Regis in 1939.
This record from 1939 shows him at the home of a Joseph Mole, John was born 5th April 1886 and is Single and incapacitated., it has his death as 1951.

This fits in with 1901 census when Mary Ann Wellings is age 44 and there is thomas age 14 who is the john thomas b 1886 and John Mills (a son in law often a term used for stepson) aged 25 b 1876

1881 census Cross street ,Dudley parents Joseph and Elizabeth Mills include daughter Mary Ann age 25 and grandson John age 5

Last edited:
I have just viewed records on a Gen site for Beatrice Wellings , it states she had a brother John Mills in 1876 but also a brother John Thomas Wellings in 1886 Dudley and gives his address in Rowley Regis in 1939.
This record from 1939 shows him at the home of a Joseph Mole, John was born 5th April 1886 and is Single and incapacitated., it has his death as 1951.
thanks alberta that could be interesting info

lyn

If John was born 5 April 1886 then on signing into the army in May 1903 he would have been 1 month past his birthday but 17 not 18. Did he lie to join up? Did he use Mills because he was underage?
Was incapacity due to war? (Physical or mental - shell shock trauma). Death cert might help.

John mills b 1876 married Ellen Belcher in May 1897 at St Edmunds , Dudley, her father given as Isaac Belcher no father for John.They moved to Nottingham where John worked as a miner.

I think you are correct Janice to say than John Wellings was underage
he signed up on May 5th 1903 as John Mills age 18years 1 month (added a year to his age)

When he first joined he gave his father as Arthur and his mother Mary Ann(no surnames) living at Cross Street.

He was based before WW1 in Worcester, Tipperary and Aldershot.

In WW1 He served in France and Belgium, stationed in Nantes and rouen and then Ypres where he was wounded on 28th October 1914 , he was taken back to base and transferred to hospital in Aberdeen, one record says gunshot in back another says Shoulder.He was in hospital for 37 days.

Perhaps someone with 1921 could have a look for him.

Last edited:
A Joseph Mole served in Worcestershire regiment in WW1 - is this how he knew John?? He came from Rowley Regis.

Back