• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Midland Red Early Days

I don't have any info on the Will's Tobacco connection but it was the Spencer Wills connection to Associated Reddifusion Television that brought about the gift of two Midland Red D7's to Universal Films Inc. in Hollywood (USA). They made several film appearances in different liveries over the years. One survived and was on static display to visitors in a blue livery in the late 1990's. Not sure if still existing now.

D7s in Hollywood.

Thanks Mike. So it was JSW who organized the export to Hollywood of D7s 4110 (THA110) in March 1965 and 4111 (THA111) in April 1964! Here's 4111 in its service days, and here it is starring on the cover of The Who's Magic Bus LP (released 1968). And here is 4110 in Hesperia, California, on 6 October 2004, looking very sad and homesick :(! Does anyone know the ultimate fate of these D7s?

What sad photos those are of 4110 which having been taken in 2004 lead me to wonder if this is the D7 originally on display to visitors at the Universal Studios. The one I referred to in blue livery was alongside a studio set of London's "Victoria Station", the name of which can be seen painted out on 4110 in the photos. Could there have been a repaint into an Americanised London Transport livery at a later date from the blue livery and then later still 4110 was disposed of ?. What remains of it now, if anything, would be interesting to see as rustworm has far less effect in the Californian sunhine than here in the damp old UK.

Re: Kings Head, Hagley Rd.

Congratulations Aidan on your promotion too!
I do remember the clock, latterly not working but with 'Ansells' adverts painted on the face. I did hear where it went (somewhere in the city) but cannot now remember where!

Sorry for breaking the chain - again :peace:- but I believe that the Kings Head clock is now resting gently behind the tree on this streetview outside of M&S on the High St https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=52...2dgJlGvuKP2cc-6LjTZlIA&cbp=12,192.33,,3,-2.96

Lloyd, on the "Fags We Used to Smoke" thread, you posted a picture of a tin of "Midland Red Cigarettes" made by the Bristol-based W D and H O Wills company. What was the connection between the tobacco firm and our John Spencer Wills?

Most unusual - could just do with one of those now... Sit back in my charabanc seat (sofa) and imagine I was careering up Hagley Road towards the Kings Head and a creamy Mild or Guinness - well they are all supposed to be good for you (at least in the time I am imagining) :armycigar: man, I must cut down a bit I almost picked a dancing banana...

Midland Red Unhealthy Products.

Aidan, you might be gratified to learn that Midland Red cigarettes are still being made by Western Tobacco Ltd (Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, India). Their list of brands is given as: "Westend, Midland Standard, Midland Blue, Midland Red, Riko Gold, Eros, Next, Previous". Next? ... Previous? ... I'll have 20 Eros please. ;)

Richard Joseph Howley CBE.

2010-06-20 09:58:06

[Richard Joseph Howley CBE (1871-1955) was Chairman of Midland Red from 1916 to 1946. Members and readers might be interested in a short biography. As usual, corrections, additions and comments are welcome. Information on RJH's family would be helpful, and can anyone find a picture? :)]

Richard Joseph Howley (RJH) was born in Limerick (Ireland) on 9 July 1871. He was educated at St Mary's College, Oscott (Chester Road, Sutton Coldfield) and the Royal University of Ireland (now Ollscoil na hÉireann / National University of Ireland). It appears that he did not complete a degree at this time, but he was awarded a Bachelor of Engineering degree (non causa) in 1942. He was a pupil engineer with Messrs Townsend and G H Ryan in the years 1891-1895, and worked for several years on railway and dock construction. In 1897 he became an associate member of the Institute of Civil Engineers (ICE), and presented a paper entitled "Railway Construction Through Bog-Land". Full membership of ICE came in 1912.

In 1899 RJH was employed by British Electric Traction Co Ltd (BET) as a permanent way engineer. His career with BET was remarkable; appointments included: Joint Manager 1912-1919; Director 1923; Chief Executive 1929; Deputy Chairman 1930; Chairman 1942-1946. He was Chairman of Midland Red for thirty years (1916-1946), and was often called upon to adjudicate between his fiery executive duo O C Power and L G W Shire. RJH was also a member of the Institute of Transport, and served as president of the British Electrical Federation.

He was recognized throughout the industry as an expert in the establishment and operation of passenger transport systems, and was frequently called upon as an expert witness or arbitrator. During World War 1 (1914-1918) he served on the Tramways (Board of Trade) Committee and the Railways Priority Committee, and was Vice-Chairman of the Tramways and Light Railways Association, for which service he was awarded the CBE (gazetted 30 March 1920). He was also a member of the Ministry of Transport Committee on Hackney Vehicles in 1922. The Royal Commission on Transport was established in July 1928, and RJH presented evidence on behalf of the London and Provincial Omnibus Owners Association. Howley's proposals were largely embodied in the important Road Traffic Act 1930.

RJH died at the age of 83 in April 1955 at Marylebone, London.

Sources:

Institute of Civil Engineers Obituary. Accessed 20 June 2010.
Kevin Hey (Salford University). "The Origins and Formation of the Traffic Commissioners". Journal of Transport History. September 2001. Accessed via Manchester University Press website 20 June 2010.

Tried to reply to #569 last night but the internet wasn't having it. Hmm. Anyway, here goes again:

John Spencer Wills birth was registered in Hendon, London 3rd quarter 1904. My research gives the same birthdate as you quoted.

He married Sidney Garcke's Daughter Elizabeth Drusilla (yes one of her certificates has a wrong spelling of that name) Alice Clare Garcke 1st quarter 1936 in Maidenhead (where the Garcke family home was).
They both died in East Sussex registration district, John in October 1991 and Elizabeth in January 1995.

Despite people saying he was from the Bristol-based tobbacco family, I can find no links to them from him or Midland Red except the cigarette tin, and that now seems to be a "red" herring (sorry!).

Here is JSW in 1933.

R J Howley is shown as a 39 year old civil engineer (electrical) lodging with the Holden family at 59 Sydney Street, Chelsea in the 1911 census. His place of birth is "Limerick, Chane" (although the 'Chane' could be Whane, Whare or something else by the original handwriting).

In the 1891 census RJH (aged 18) is a ???? electric engineer and with 52 y.o. Eleanor M Howley (his mother? she is 'living on own means') is lodging at 5 York St, Marylebone.

His death in 1955 is also recorded in Marylebone.

Lloyd, thanks for the additional biographical research, and the picture of young JSW (presumably still Secretary of EYMS in 1933).

Let me be sure I've got this straight before I update my posts. First, is it Drucilla or Drusilla? She was Sidney Garcke's daughter, so her full (maiden) name was Elizabeth Dru?illa Alice Clare Garcke (in that order). I was pretty sure JSW married into the Garcke family, but the order of her names had me confused.

Re RJH: just a thought, but I wonder if "Chane", "Whane" or "Whare" could be "Clare"? Limerick (town) is in county Limerick, but it's right on the border with county Clare. Can you discover the actual day of RJH's death? All I could find was April 1955.

"Red" herring! :D

Drusilla. I've corrected my earlier error. EDACG is the correct order of her names.
I can't get the actual date of RJH's death without the certificate (although the death indexes do give exact date of birth!).
Here is the undefineable Limerick extract. Could be...almost anything!

There's more on Nicholas Wills here - he seems to have been a busy man!
However he found time in 1985 to marry Philippa T Casson, and the couple seem to have a daughter Katheriane Alicia S (Spencer?) Wills, born Hammersmith, Nov 1986.

Thanks Lloyd. I've updated the JSW and RJH posts with the new information (just Limerick will do for RJH's birthplace!). Interesting lives.

Yes, Nicholas Wills is continuing the high-achieving family tradition! And he enjoys "skiing on blue runs" (?).

A page on the Royal Forestry Society site gives this in a reference to the Beech Estate:

"The Beech Estate has expanded since 1947 when the late Sir John Spencer Wills made his first land purchase at Battle. His son, Mr Nicholas Wills, is the estate’s Principal Trustee. The 772 hectare estate won Natural England’s Future of Farming Award last year for its transformation from intensive arable and dairy farm to one with conservation at its heart. It includes 52 hectare of broadleaved woodlands many of which are ancient semi natural woodlands and a further 490 hectares of plantations."

No mention of tobbacco plants, though.:rolleyes:

Thanks Lloyd. What I like about this forum is the very high clear-up rate for mysteries ;)! I never (snow) skied in my life, but I used to water ski a LONG time ago. I didn't really like it much, but there was this girl ...

Thylacine, I got a Western Tobacco Co. home site up but the Midland 'Red' and 'Blue' along with several other of the brands mentioned in your link appear to be no longer produced according to the brands that are listed. I was hoping to find an illustration of their packaging but no such luck. Amazing that you found out about Western Tobacco in your link. However, with a bit of perseverance I have found another Indian cigarette manufacturer called "L.I.I. Group" producing a "Midland" brand cigarette with red packaging and featuring a dire health warning which dosen't seem to have much effect if the brief description on the right is accurate!
Mike

Last edited:
Mike, I wonder if there are any Indian cigarette packet collectors reading this thread ... ;)

The variety of interests and things people on this great Forum come up with never fails to amaze me but my flabber will be absolutely gasted if we have such a collector on here:D. After your post above I edited mine to include more info, so expect you have noticed it.
...and whilst on a lighter note and nearer to topic is a another Midland Red diversion. I have for you some illustrations of Midland Red buses and coaches from unlikely sources and rather unusual in concept. First up is a D9 in what Lloyd and myself have deduced to be Devon General livery! This is because the book on which it appears was produced in Exeter which is of course in South Devon. Strange choice of bus eh?
Mike

Mike, at last a picture of the Indian Midland "Red" fags! Well found. :thumbsup:

Re the "D9": you wouldn't "read about it"! :D

Mike, I'm looking forward to more in your series of "unlikely" and "unusual" Midland Red pics. Keep 'em coming! :)

Midland Red Mystery Men.

While we're on the subject of the personalities of Midland Red (and its predecessors), here are three who are stubbornly resisting my attempts to learn more about them. Perhaps we can focus our minds and mouses (mice?) and together "remove the veils of obscurity". Any information is welcome. :)

W R Taylor
: General Manager of Birmingham Motor Express Co Ltd (BME) from its formation early in 1903; Chairman of BME from December 1904.
George Pollard
: General Manager and Engineer of BME from December 1904; Engineer of Midland Red from commencement of operations on 1 August 1905; became Second Engineer of London Motor Omnibus Co Ltd ("Vanguard") in November 1905.
H H Gregory
: Engineer of Midland Red from November 1905; presided over the demise of the first generation of Midland Red motor buses in 1907; did he survive until L G Wyndham Shire joined the company in 1912?

Great Bus Stop Pictures!

Alf has posted a link to a marvellous picture site: the "Soviet Bus Stops" are highly recommended to all our viewers! ;)

More on Garcke?

Since learning that John Spencer Wills was his son-in-law, I've been trying to unearth more information about Sidney Émile Garcke (6 January 1885 Shepherds Bush - 3 October 1948 Hove) and his family. He was awarded the CBE (gazetted 31 December 1940) for service on the Transport Advisory Council. At that time he was Vice Chairman of Tilling and British Automobile Traction Co Ltd and a member of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers. Can anyone find a picture of Sidney Garcke? His wife was named Clare Lorraine according to the Grace's Guide website. Is that her full maiden name, and can anyone discover her dates?

I'm fairly sure that there was a son named Kenneth Garcke (KG) who joined the RAF in 1940 and rose to the rank of Squadron Leader (gazetted 28 January 1955). By 1949 KG was a Director of Electrical Press Ltd (publisher of the Manual of Electrical Undertakings from 1896 to the 1960s, and the Motor Transport Year-Book and Directory from 1916 to 1942); he was also Chairman of publishers Marshall (Percival) and Co Ltd. Can anyone discover KG's dates and anything more about his life?

It is quite amazing that Wikipedia has no biography of the great
Émile Oscar Garcke (1856 Saxony - 14 November 1930 Maidstone). It would be good to discover his actual date of birth and more about his German origins and forebears (he became a naturalized British citizen in 1880, but questions were asked in Parliament about his nationality during World War 1!). I wonder what brought him to England?

Here's an interesting snippet: EOG and SEG were founding members of the Berkshire Automobile Club on 19 December 1903, and EOG was elected a member of the Aero Club of the UK on 9 November 1909.

Last edited:
Back