• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Midland Educational

dwilly

master brummie
There was a store around by the oasis market called the Midland Educational, (i think), remember it as being spread over maybe 2 or 3 floors, had an interesting arts and craft department from what i remember, but don't know much else about it, wondered if anyone else has memories of this store, can't remember when it close and don't seem to remember any other branches.

Dwilly I used to go there for my scratch boards. They were black and you used a special pen to scratch the black off to leave a white picture underneath. I still have two I did years ago one of a dog and one of a country scene. Pete also did one that I put on another thread last year. Loved the store and bought many other things from there. Jean.

I'm not sure where the Oasis Market was, the Midland Ed I recall was in Corporation Street, near to the 5a bus stop and almost opposite to where C & A were. I've still got a book my mom gave me when I started school, it's a Beacon Reader. Old Lob Introductory Book. There was a second floor, and it always seemed to be stuffed full of books. The shelves overflowing almost.

Yes, it was a great shop.

As a child going into the city, I would walk from where the 14 bus stopped (by Lewis's) down Corporation Street towards New St. Station, to Smiths and the Midland Educational - they were within a few doors of each other.

Bought loads of things from the ME - a treasure trove for crafters and book lovers.

The WHSmith shop in Sutton Coldfield Gracechurch centre opened as Midland Educational, WHS took it over when Midland Ed finished

The last Midland Educational was in Corporation Street opposite Lewis's. It was spread over three floors I think with arts and crafts on the top, books on the first not sure about the others. Not certain when it closed but it was definately still there in the summer of 1977 when I started work at the Co-op in the High Street I used to wonder around the Mid Ed on my lunch hour

I'm not sure where the Oasis Market was, the Midland Ed I recall was in Corporation Street, near to the 5a bus stop and almost opposite to where C & A were. I've still got a book my mom gave me when I started school, it's a Beacon Reader. Old Lob Introductory Book. There was a second floor, and it always seemed to be stuffed full of books. The shelves overflowing almost.

Hi Di,

Yes I remember it too, - a great store, and just where you describe it,
I believe Yates Wine Lodge was next door towards New Street.

Kind regards

Dave.

We had a Midland Educational store here in the (then) new Wulfrun Shopping Centre in the late 1960's. One can smell the rubber and cork from the stationary accessories even now!

Unfortunately by the 70's it was seen as a bit too upmarket for what was by then the cut-price end of town as it was associated with being swotty and closed within the decade. The property went through several changes of use and nowadays is an Iceland freezer store.

December 2nd, 2008 #46 chris911
Neophyte Brummie

Rather%20Not%20Say.gif
Re: Toy/Model Shop, City Centre
I believe my Aunt used to work in Barnbys store in Birmingham.
Didn't they become The Midland Educational shop at some future date?
Barnbys was part of the Midland Educational Company when I worked there (1966-70).
What was your Aunt's name? When did she work there?
Chris Page. This is from search. Len.

The "new" Mid. ED was in the building which was on the corner of Union Street (I think that's the right one) Martineau Square was behind it.

The Next second shop was in what used to be the basement of the Mid Ed.

There used to be a great cafe next door (at the beginning of the ramp)

After I took early retirement from BT I worked for Midland Ed as their van driver about 1987/88, they had contracts with Solihull Ed dept and Sandwell Ed dept plus a few private schools in Worcester and Malvern, My job was to parcel the orders and deliver. UNfortunately 7 months later Next came along and bought it up and promptly closed it down, some of the staff had been there over 30 years, it was like a large family, it was all very sad, they kept me on for a few weeks to deliver the stock what was left over after the closing down sale to Eton and Bath Branches. I bought a large stock of art materials for abor 20% of the value, the manager, Mr Baker also gave me is oak desk, which I brought home in the Transit Van and I still have in my studio. They had no garage so I Kept the Van on my drive, free transport to and from work. Eric

They seemed to be associated with both Barnaby's and Finlays tobacco Kiosks of all people

Last edited:
Look & Learn Childrens Magazine front page, Prince Charlie looking a bit of a charlie!, did you buy your kids this magazine?, i enjoyed reading it!. Len.

Last edited:
In the early 60's I used to work at Midland Eductional (contracts) which was situated on the Moseley Road near Moseley Baths and almost opposite to the Bus Garrage. The company supplied schools with Books, craft materials etc.

I can recall the shop being on the left just past Cherry St in the early 1960's, H.Samuel took over that shop when the Mid Ed moved up the street, facing Lewis's after 1966.....it was the middle shop with three floors, the arts and craft was on the top floor....Mr Ford was the manager in 1968....when I started there...my first job, I was there only for a month...

Midland Educational on the opening day of their new shop on Corporation St in the mid 60's.

Phil

Attachments

• City Corporation St Midland Educational Opening.jpg
    City Corporation St Midland Educational Opening.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 79
I remember the ME in the late 1940/early 50's - they had big glass display cabinets with colouring pencils of every shade of every colour - I guess they were for artists - also had boxes with 6 or 12 or 24 pencils - I loved them and longed for a b ig b ox - but they were 2/6d old money each which was a lot of money then but my mum used to buy me one every now and then and I often got one or two for Christmas. I'd forgotten that until I read the post. Lovely shop.
Sheri

I was 16 in the 1950's and worked for a small firm in Vittoria Street in the jewellery quarter which made leathergoods. The firm made briefcases for Midland Educational and I used to accompany the boss in his Rover car when we made deliveries there. A lovely shop with lots of arts and crafts materials. I think they used to supply schools too. Anthea.

Eric, I did read your post - very interesting - I must have had one of those 'senior moments' !!!! Anthea.

Anthea, a good firm to work for, they gave me a thermos of tea and a packet of sandwiches before I went on the Road every morning and told me I could go straight home when days deliveries completed (kept the Van at home), 25% of all my art materials, any finger marked watercolour paper (which customers would not buy) was given to me, I was sorry when they closed down after only being there 7 months
Eric

I remember the first Midland Ed shop opposite C&A
I used to love going down into the basement where they had the Art materials, it had a lovely smell (I thought so anyway!)

It never had quite the same atmosphere when they moved to Corporation Street.

The Midland Ed that I remember in the late 1950's was almost opposite my school.. Pitmans College in Corporation Street... As you say opposite C&A and the New Street end. I just loved to go in there and look at all the shades of crayons... it just fascinated me. Georgie

Same here Georgie: I attended Pitman's College and from some classrooms you could look across Corporation Street and see into the offices of the
Midland Educational. I remember a shop assistant in the mid l950's who quite often wore one of those pin in curls in her hair and it was bright green. It was always hard not to stare at her. The shop sold the most fascinating things and some of the Windsor & Newton paint brushes for fine art are now worth hundreds of pounds.

I remember the first Midland Ed shop opposite C&A
I used to love going down into the basement where they had the Art materials, it had a lovely smell (I thought so anyway!)

It never had quite the same atmosphere when they moved to Corporation Street.

I can echo every word here !! As a kid I was fascinated by the VAST range of drawing pencils on display - I would have loved to have the complete set of Derwent pencils in that lovely wooden two drawer case but it would have cost an arm and a leg I'm sure !!!

Anthea, a good firm to work for, they gave me a thermos of tea and a packet of sandwiches before I went on the Road every morning and told me I could go straight home when days deliveries completed (kept the Van at home), 25% of all my art materials, any finger marked watercolour paper (which customers would not buy) was given to me, I was sorry when they closed down after only being there 7 months
Eric[/quote]

Eric, What a shame you were only able to stay with ME for such a short time, but it must have been a happy 7 months receiving those 'perks' - especially the art materials. Anthea

I was just wrenched back into my days as a schoolboy when I used the old Midland Educational outlet many time, for all sorts of things. The specific thing that brought me back this time was basket makers willow. At some point, when I was about 10, I made a basket from this stuff. Now here I am at 60, with conservatory furniture which is made of the same stuff, which has cracked and broken in the heat. I feel I could repair it myself......if I could lay my hands on the material. Oh for the Midland Educational now. I haven't found anywhere in the country who supplies the stuff......yet.

We are still wading through this jumbo pad bought for 2/- (10p) which helps to date it. The cover has survived well as it has been kept folded over to the back of the pad. Midland Ed was a great shop for stationery.

A friend of mine, Stuart LLang worked there when they closed so he started a book shop in the Jewellery Quarter until his death, his wife Linda also worked there.

Oh that was my very favourite shop way back in the 60s. When I was eventually allowed to go 'up town' on my own on Saturdays, a friend & I would happily spend hours (& I mean hours..an hour per floor!) in that shop. I bought my first 'chemistry kit' from there ( a box of goodies to play with, growing crystals, testing bits & bobs...fabulous) & loved the whole place. I've always loved stationery & bits & bobs.......I'm sure that shop has a lot to answer for. After hours in there, Linda & I would pop next door into Oasis........phew...the whif in that shop!!! Wot a pong!! Happy memories.

Hi Lewis: Years ago my Aunt used to basket weaving with willow and made many members of our family trays edged with woven willow. She used to buy her willow from the Midland Educational. It always fascinated me to see her weaving. I went to Google and had a look around for suppliers in the UK. There are quite a few it seems. This site seems ok but there are others
https://www.willowwithies.co.uk/product_range/index.htm

Back