• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Memories of Malta

cookie273uk

master brummie
Church_at_Marsaxlott_Malta~0.JPG
thumb_Church_at_Marsaxlott_Malta~0.JPG
normal_Chapel_in_Malta_001.JPG
[video]https://images.birminghamhistory.co.uk/coppermine/albums/userpics/10017/normal_Chapel_in_Malta_001.JPG[/video]
normal_Church_at_Marsaxlott_Malta.JPG
2 paintings of my from my recent holiday in Malta, (1) church in the lovely fishing village of Marsaxlott, my favourite Maltese resort, Stanley Mathews lived there for a time and (2) another but smaller church out in the country. Eric

Last edited:
Eric, two more super pieces of artwork. There is a lovely contrast between the two pictures and I admire your skill with perspective in the first picture. The red telephone box makes the picture even more interesting. Thank you for sharing your work. Anthea.

Beautiful paintings Eric - thank you for sharing them with us :):) Did you do many sketches while you were there?

pollypops, did a few but had my sister in law with me, so sketching time limited, will sort a couple out and post them later on this thread. Eric

I shall look forward to seeing them Eric :) I have always wanted to go to Malta - I will get there one day.
I was looking through a box of old photos with my brother-in-law the other day - some were taken in Malta when his father was there in his army days. I am sure it has changed a lot since then.

More beautiful paintings Eric I have never been to Malta but like Polly your paintings make me want to visit.:)

Pollypops, here are a few of the sketches I did in Malta, these sketches plus a few colour notes plus memory gives me enough reference to make a painting. They are sketched on an A5 size sketch book, paper as a slight texture which I find suitable for either pen or pencil. Sometimes I will take a back up photo for detail reference, depending how complex subject is. Eric

Eric your sketches are just as perfect as your paintings. How lucky you are to have such an eye for detail and the talent to transfer it onto paper. Thank you for posting them - they are beautiful sketches :)

Eric, what lovely paintings and sketches. Like Pollypops, I would love to visit Malta, my friend at work has just "discovered it and her photos are great too - one day maybe!!
Hope you enjoyed your holiday
Sue

Eric, I love Malta, been there loads of times.
Is the covered washing area still there in front of Marsaxlott bay, where all the women did the washing, it was like a shallow swimming pool under a canopy.
A maltese man showed me how to catch sea urchins and what part to eat (the orange part) last time I was there.
Stanley Mathews house was right at the end of the bay by a restaurant I believe was called the Hunters Lodge, and there were a couple of army relics at the other end of the bay.

John, funny you should mention the washing baths at Marsaxlott , they have just been restored and sculptures placed by them in the last 2 months. The lad is holding a little girl who in turn is holding a small dog, the cat is looking at a fish. Also in the last 12 months the whole of the sea front has been beautifully resurfaced in large quarry tiles and the market stalls returned. I spoke to an elderly Maltese man who knew Stanley Mathews, described him as a perfect Gentleman well liked in the village. will be going again next May. It now as a complete new bus service in both Gozo and Malta (lots of teething trouble at present) consisting of Arriva buses in their blue/green livery ordinary buses made in China and 'bendy' buses made by Mercedes. Eric

Last edited:
Back