• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Memories of a Birmingham Musician (Drummer)!

Just had a wonderful evening. Went to a classical music concert, most enjoyable. As special guests, my wife and I joined the conductor, and three other members of the orchestra, for dinner, after the concert. All wonderful, talented players. At dinner we were discussing music that we listened to as children. I happened to mention to them, as classical musicians, recordings like TUBBY THE TUBA & SPARKIES MAGIC PIANO. They looked fairly blank, although I must admit that they were half my age.

Only one of them had heard the story of Sparkie and his magic piano. Am I getting too old??!!

Does anyone on this website remember those wonderful recordings, which were very popular in their day?

Eddie

Hi Eddie,

Sounds like a good night. My only connection with classical musicians was that I occasionally used to drink with the late conductor, Sir John Pritchard, pleasant character, but a bit of an oddball. Last night our Foreign Residents Association, in conjunction with the Dimos (Council) and the Greek Orthodox Church, did a live satellite screening of the Andre Rieu Maastricht 2015 Concert in a local cinema. Attendance was good, well past our break even point, so it bides well for similar screenings in the future. We've had requests for the screening of part of a jazz festival, but all the major ones are now over for this year, so I'm looking to see what we could screen for next year. Vienne perhaps, as French TV screen most of that, or possibly Perugia, but early days yet.

Maurice

Quote "Only one of them had heard the story of Sparkie and his magic piano. Am I getting too old??!! Eddie."

I have heard of Tubby the Tuba but have never heard of Sparkies Magic Piano. I'm 72 so perhaps a bit younger than you. Remember the saying by the well known philosopher Thora Hird; "It's not getting old that stops you doing things, it's stopping doing things that makes you old". Dave.

Does anyone on this website remember those wonderful recordings, which were very popular in their day?

Eddie[/QUOTE]

I Remember those Eddie and the Typewriter, The Flight of the Bumblebee, Carnival of The Animals, Peter and the Wolf, and Joyce Grenfell, The Hippopotamus Song, and The Horn was it?, The Ugly Duckling, the Three Little Pigs. Shortnin Bread, all on the radio very early 60's and before I suppose. Sparky's piano reminds me of a Cher song with her voice distorted, way ahead of it's time. Nico

Eddie,

Yes, I remember Sparky & Tubby, and endless repeats of "Busy doing nothing".

Maurice

Eddie,

Yes, I remember Sparky & Tubby, and endless repeats of "Busy doing nothing".

Maurice

We used to sing that in the office, but as, we are busy being busy, and Arthur Askey's busy busy bee, but the reps sang busy busy rep. And Wonderful wonderful Copenhagen, but as wonderful wonderful (then a chap's name xxxxxxx Carter) dutiful rep of Hillfields.

Thanks everyone, I feel reassured.

Some nice memories here of catchy musical numbers from my youth, but for those of you who have never heard it, try listening to Sparkies Magic Piano. Lovely music with a story. A real treat for children to listen to.

Eddie

I feel that I owe a lot to the Tom and Gerry cartoons for introducing me to classical music. The downside of course is that when listening to some of the classics I see those and other characters doing their stuff.
Another was the advert "Help yourself to bread and Magic (margarine!)"
Who remembers the next line?

I don't recall it Tim what is it? I do remember the Brown & Poulson gravy classical music jingle, "something something taste my gravy? threatened once to join the Navy," do you know what comes after that? And just one Cornetto of course. Dad liked classical and grandad did, (nan called it eyebrow music) which sparked my interest then I used to accompany my workmate who went home at dinner time to let his dog out and we would sit in the garden and listen to classical belting out whilst having a beer. My junior school was good in that the headmaster made us listen to a piece of classical every day each week, the same piece for 5 days. I discovered from my partner that the Looney Tunes cartoon jingle was La Petite Tonquinoise, (can't spell it sorry) The Little Cashier and it was maybe sung by Josephine Baker.

HI Nico,
The tune was "The Sugar Plum Fairy" only remember two lines,
"Help yourself to bread and Magic"
After all you do deserve the best"
Don't recall the gravy ad only the "Ah Bisto! ones.
Whilst my father was a gentleman he did call Chamber Music, **** Pot Music, which I have always thought as being rather crude.
Cheers Tim

Hello Tim No I don't know that one. Mine was "Brown and Poulson certainly saved the night." I have been seeing if I could play from the World Famous Melody book I was given, written for the organ and by arranged by Felton Rapley & I am surprised I know most of them though I never knew their titles like Roses From the South by Strauss. I am on the guitar though and don't really read well so I revert to the piano to work it out. Chopin's Theme From Fantaisie -Impromptu ( I'm always chasing rainbows) Mozart's Romance. Remember "Everyone's a fruit and nut case" and the Pure New Wool tune,? My boss used to sing to La Donne e Mobile, "Sausage is Cheap today, cheaper than yesterday," Re your dad's chamber music, (I posted this before on a different theme) my Nan used to sing to the Soldiers' Chorus, "Oh father look at yer unlce Jim, divin' in the xxxx pot learnin ow ta swim" and in the riff of Colonel Bogey she sang " Don't throw the lamp at mother it's a shame to waste the oil". So I guess that was in my subconscious too. But thinking about it, although before their time maybe, opera was originally played to ordinary people, I read.
Best Wishes
Nico

Nico,

The middle section of "Roses from the South" was used to introduce the Palm Court Orchestra on the Light Porgramme live from the Grand Hotel, Eastbourne on a Sunday evening, with successive leaders of Alfredo Campoli, Albert Sandler, & Max Jaffa. I can remember Felton Rapley doing his share of theatre organ on the BBC as well. A little bit more restful than some of today's pop music!

Maurice

Apart from trance maybe? I bet that sounded good Maurice. There is something about a band or an orchestra in the park or on the prom. Anywhere outside. I even get a shiver when 5 or 6 piece brass bands play outside Sainsburys at Christmas for charity. I like bagpipes also and ccarousel organs and steam engine organs. We heard some binyous (can't spell again) French bagpipes, at a music festival next to a sunny French harbour on a sunny salt marsh island of the west coast. I only have heard of Max Jaffa. I was given sheet music of Felton Rapley's marches also. I will see what I know of those.I shall go and strum outside now.

Nico

Hi Eddie. I don't know what you think of this electronic drum/music system? It was seen at Tate Modern yesterday and was installed by "Felix's Machines". The idea is to look at it as an visual-art exhibit as well as for providing music. Dave.
IMG_20150725_130146057_HDR (1).jpg

Thanks for this Dave.

What a piece of electronic art!! As a drummer, I would love to see, and hear how they are played, and how they sound.

Not very practical for 'gigging'. Would take a week to set up, and a further week to dismantle. I think I would also have to take an electronic engineering course.

I have played a couple of electronic kits, Yamaha & Roland. Both can create excellent drum sounds, and indeed one of two drummers use electronic kits on their shows. Easy to pack, and light to carry (amplification excluded). They are set up very much like the standard acoustic kit, but look much frailer.

I cannot see them taking over from acoustic drums for a very long time. Acoustic drums look great, have presence, and exude power. Plus, drumming is a very physical thing, and the audience love that.

I am a little old fashioned - long live Jazz, Swing & Rock n' Roll, and acoustic music. Cannot stand this modern electronic stuff.

Eddie

Dave,

Interesting and I haven't seen an electronic kit as elaborate as this before. Reminds me of something that was set up in London a couple of years ago - I can't remember the location - to perform one of these outlandish pieces and that involved over 20 electrically operated grand pianos and numerous other instruments. It got a write up in "Sound On Sound"magazine, but I don't think I have the copy any longer. It was certainly an eleborate and expensive piece to perform.

Whatever you think of these sorts of compositions, they are somewhat lacking in human feeling and I got the same sort of feeling years ago when I started playing organ, having played piano for so many years. Although the organ was capable of far more sounds, it made little difference how hard I hit the keys, unlike a piano, and I felt it wasn't really expressing my feelings well enough.

Some of the more expensive electronic pianos now have touch sensitive keyboards, which helps a little, but you still can't beat playing a good quality acoustic piano.

Maurice

I have to admit, that my Dads player piano was at times, hard to tell from him or me playing. Was fun to for us all to be in another room reading,playing games etc. with the thing playing away in the background, UNTIL it got stuck on a note or two. John Crump

Today I have been reminded of a day out in the 1970's. A day that I had forgotten about.

When I was demonstrating and promoting drums for the Premier Drum Company, the Company entered a Nationwide competition for finding the most unusual export, and its market. It was a competition arranged by The Export Times, and Vladivar Vodka, who had their head office in Warrington, Lancs.

There were a large number of companies that entered, including selling fridges to Eskimos, Sand to Saudi Arabia and other (all genuine) exports. Premier won it because we had a larger number of unusual exports. We sold cowbells to Switzerland, Maracas to South America (maracas to Caracas), and bird whistles to the Canary Islands.

Came the day of the prize giving, I drove myself, and a colleague, to Warrington for the presentation. Naturally, as winners, we were the guests of honour.

We were all shown into a huge board room, with the Vladivar Vodka Directors all waiting for us. After the presentation ceremony which was boxes of vodka and gin, and a wonderful framed cartoon by the famous artist, Bill Tidy, (a lovely man), we loaded all the 'presents' into my car, and returned to the boardroom. Suddenly a whole wall of this large room was slid back, and there was wall to wall, to ceiling drink. An incredible sight. The drinking began, and not being a big drinker, I was handed a very large vodka by some Polish guy. They stood around waiting for me to drink it, which I did. Then more and more drink began to flow. Far too much for me, and I was just waiting for the lunch to begin, and get some food inside me (the distillery owned the large hotel immediately next door).

At lunch time the Head Waiter came into the room and announced that lunch was ready to be served "Thank God" I thought. However, the red nosed, red faced Chairman of Vladivar Vodka then made the most classic remark, in a loud pompous voice, and I have never forgotten his words "DON'T BE SILLY, MY MAN, HOW CAN WE EAT ON AN EMPTY STOMACH?"!!!!

Well we made it back home, and the National newspapers.

Eddie.

So long out of the business that I had no idea, until today, of the passing of two of my old buddies.

Darrell Sweet, the drummer with Nazareth, and 'Dinky' Diamond, the drummer with Sparks.

Last met Darrell in California, and Dinky in London, when we popped into a pub for a lunchtime drink.

Maurice. Why didn't you tell me?!!! (joke)

Eddie.

Eddie,

Sorry about the deaths, but I really am out of touch with the rock & pop business bar a few like Rick Wakeman (I knew one of his ex-wives when she was a young lady!) and, of course, have heard him play many times. But generally speaking I get my information from the jazz and keyboard forums.

Great story about the vodka, but I am an even lighter drinker than you - half of beer or a small glass of wine and that's my lot. I used to hate those business events where they plied you with booze. When we were having our house renovated out here - it had been empty for 25 years so a total rebuild - we were living a few miles away. Daily we would visit to check on the builders and as soon as the old guy next door spotted us, he would call us round, get out a bit of salad and a plentiful supply of raki. Now we would have generally had a beer on the way there, but he would insist, time and time again, that we drink more raki. By the end of the afternoon I was plastered and had to drive back to where we were living. This doily event got so bad that we would sneak in whatever way we could so that he would not see us.

Maurice

001.jpgEddie. Never a big drinker???? Not the TED I knew! maybe thats why you changed your name to Eddie? Look at the photo bottom right. By the way we are the ONLY ones left of that group. John Crump

A great story, Eddie - love the maracas to Caracas! The amount of boozing we did at routinely long lunches in the 1970s - then go back to the office and do a bit of work. I was drumming in a rock band in the evenings: 25 gigs a month, would fall in to bed at three a.m., get up at seven to go to work... As the American writer Charles Bukowski said: "Youth, sonofabitch, where did you go?"

View attachment 100216Eddie. Never a big drinker???? Not the TED I knew! maybe thats why you changed your name to Eddie? Look at the photo bottom right. By the way we are the ONLY ones left of that group. John Crump

Loved a drink, John, but this particular day I have mentioned was crazy. After many a 'gig' it was down to the Indian for a vindaloo, or madras, and a couple of pints of lager. Enjoyed those days! Sadly John, yes, we are the two remaining guys, and you, with your fitness routine, will no doubt be the last. Look forward to your visit.

Eddie

I was very fortunate to know, both through my work with the Zildjian Cymbal Company and also socially, Mr Bernard 'Buddy' Rich. Such a wonderful drummer, but he did not suffer fools gladly. However, if approached in the right manner he was always very gracious and sociable.

The following story was told to me by Lennie de Muzio my fellow colleague at the Zildjian factory in the USA. One day, not longer after Lennie had started working there, Buddy Rich arrived, and was looking for a new cymbal. Armand Zildjian (the boss), and Lennie took Buddy into the cymbal vault, where there were literally hundreds of golden looking cymbals. Almost like Fort Knox.

Lennie set up a cymbal stand and put a cymbal on the stand for Buddy to try. Buddy started playing it, then stopped, and said "It's a little too low, it needs to be higher" (meaning the cymbal sound). So Lennie then raised the height of the cymbal stand. Buddy looked at Armand and said "Who's the new kid?"

Eddie

Nice one, Eddie! It puts me in mind of drummers' jokes. A rookie on the kit asks the bandleader: "How would you like me to play? Too slow, or too fast?"

Back