• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Memories of a Birmingham Musician (Drummer)!

norfolk brummie

gone but not forgotten
I have been asked by one or two members to put on record some of the times in my life as a drummer. Now aged nearly 82, I hope a few stories will not sound too much. It has been a great life, from leaving Golden Hillock Road School, aged 15, at the end of 1948, to working in a music store, learning my craft, and finally becoming Vice President of a famous percussion company based in the USA. I have had the privilege of meeting, and working with the greatest names in the music business. From the music shop, to 'gigging' around Birmingham in my early days, and playing with Ronnie Scott, Tubby Hayes and other great British jazz men, to working ballrooms in Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield, London, Birmingham, Leicester, Derby, Nottingham, Norwich, Bournemouth, Margate, even Scunthorpe! Progressing to the Hollywood Bowl, Grand Ol' Oprey, Sydney Opera House. Travelling the world, lecturing and playing.

Oddly, my very last serious playing 'gig' was at the Top Rank Suite, in Birmingham, in February 1979, with Garry Allcock and the Midland All Stars. My father died that same night, in Steelhouse Lane Hospital, and I then decided to concentrate on a life of lecturing, playing and touring. I do not wish to become boring. It has been a wonderful life of entertainment, and I would be happy to relate two or three good stories, if asked. Eddie

Funny Ballroom Brawls:

1). Circa 1955:
The Garry Owen Social Club, Small Heath. St. Patricks Night. 9 or 10 piece band.
Nice bandstand, with football type barriers along the front. I found out why that night!
Started the evening quietly, a few quick's, foxtrots, waltzes, and the odd reel of something like "Siege of Innisfree".
Then it started. In one corner, but within a few minutes the whole place was a huge fight. Charlie Simpson, the Bandleader, standing in front of the band, waving his arms shouting, in his strong Irish accent, "WHATEVER HAPPENS LADS, DON'T STOP PLAYING!!!"
We played for twenty minutes, non stop "How Do You Speak To An Angel?" Fights everywhere, but no one bothered the band, although one or two did bounce off the stage barriers, and a bottle hit the wall behind us. The police, plus dogs arrived, and some restored order, and we carried on. Nice evening, but I will always remember Charlie with his DONT STOP PLAYING shouts.

2. Circa 1960:
Ritz Ballroom, Manchester: Afternoon Tea Dance. 3pm - 5.30pm: Normally quite sedate.
Jan Ralfini Big Band. We started playing, and there was about five or six people in the ballroom. The dance floor was empty.
We started to play a waltz, a man and a woman started to dance. A couple of minutes later, another couple (man/woman) started to dance. The floor was completely empty except for these two couples. Then they started bumping into each. Then the two women were screaming, and the two men were rolling around the floor, fighting!! In the band we were folding with laughter. The bouncers arrived and cleared them out. We found out later that the first guy was dancing with the other guys wife, and he had come in to sort them out.

Circa 1956:
At Tonys Ballroom, in Hurst Street, the bouncers would remove neckties from all the trouble makers, as they threw them out, and they had a trophy board in the dressing room, with lots and lots of ties on it!!

Tomorrow: Ella Fitzgerald & Frank Sinatra. Eddie

Great stories, Eddie. The first one reminded me of the Blues Brothers with the wire cage in front of the stand! In my 23 years of playing I don't remember any fences or cages, but witnessed several fights and quite a few unrepeatable events/pranks!

Maurice

More stories please Eddie! What a good time you must have had in between the excitement!
rosie.

Hi Eddie GREAT stories! WE had some fun nights to, with the Modernaires, of course you where TED Haynes then. Our small band played at the Irish club a few times also a Jewish club. Not to mention all the pubs around Yardley and Brum. No bad that THREE of the members of our band did pretty good later on. Mac and Colin and yourself went on to fame and fortune. Fun days Eddie. can't wait to hear more of your tales. BET Maurice could tell some tall tales to HUH, MAURICE? John Crump OldBrit. Parker. Co USA

Mr Big is behind Sinatra:

Frank Sinatra:

Irv Cottler was Franks drummer for 25 years, and when Irv was in London, we would meet up, and have a day out.
In 1978 Frank performed at the Royal Albert Hall for a week. On the Wednesday, Irv and I met in London at the Hilton Hotel, where Sinatra and his crew were staying.
I was invited up to one of the hospitality suites by Irv. There was a bunch of people in the room. Suddenly Frank Sinatra came into the room.
"Come and meet Frank" said Irv. Irv introduced me with " Frank, meet Eddie, he is the guy that looks after my drums when we are in England". Frank held out his hand and shook mine "Much appreciated", and with that he disappears again!

Irv asked me if I would like to see the Saturday evening show, with my wife. I was delighted.

On the Saturday evening we arrived at the stage door, and was met by Irv. "The show is a sell out, but we will fit you in somewhere".

I was introduced to Mr Edwards ( I called him Mr Big). He was the biggest guy you could wish to see, and solid muscle, dressed in a very expensive tuxedo. "Nice to meet you Eddie, come with me". He took Beryl and I down into the auditorium, and placed us by the side of the stage. "Do not move from here, and I will be back in five minutes". After about three minutes a security guy came up and asked us to move. I refused, saying that we were told to wait there, and was waiting for someone. Mr Security started to get angry, just as Mr Big arrived back. "Problems?". "Yes we have been asked to move by this man".
Mr Big turned to the security guy "These good folk are personal guests of Mr Sinatra, if they are not allowed to stay here, I will cancel the whole show" Mr Security disappeared.

We had the most wonderful evening, standing at the side of the stage. The show was opened by The Fifth Dimension. When it was the turn of Sinatra, many musicians arrived on the stage, (big band plus strings), and were moving around looking for the chairs etc, when we suddenly noticed that Sinatra was there among them, laughing and joking. Suddenly the whole audience also began to realise he was on stage and started applauding.
After the show, we went backstage, and arrived just in time for Sinatra to walk past us with his minders including Mr Big, who shook my hand on the way out. Eddie

Nice one, Eddie. Easy to be intimidated by a big guy like that! Keep the stories coming!

Maurice

Did any of you meet Aubrey Walton, he was also a drummer around your time .

Does anyone remember the film "The Jolson Story? The first time, I sat in the Piccadilly Cinema in Sparkbrook, and watched it through twice. I saw it again many times. When "Jolson Sings Again" came out, we all stood in a long queue at the old Odeon in New Street, Sunday afternoon, and sat through the film, fascinated. Today, of course, these films are very un PC, but at the time, they inspired people like myself, so interested in music. On one trip to Hollywood, I visited Graumans Chinese Theatre, and placed my hands in the cement patter left by Al Jolson. Lovely memories. Eddie

What a.life you've had Norfolk Brummie. I would love to hear about playing in the Hollywood Bowl...I'm an active jazz and swing man myself...I'll be interested in anything you can tell us.

Shawcross The more the better, Lets hear some of your tales. I have never played in the Hollywood Bowl but have heard most of the greats of yesteryear play there. Also saw Miles at the Blackhawk in San Fran and BIRD in New York. Even sat in once or twice with Howard Rumsey Conti Condoli Frank Rossalino and the gang at the Lighthouse in Hermosa Beach. Not to mention Lawrence, a one and a two. Welk in Santa Monica on the pier. Photo is me in 1956 Old in 1957 outside the Lighthouse Jazz club. John Crump OldBrit Parker. Co USAEddie_2A.jpgEddie_2A.jpgEddie_2A.jpg

Sorry Old Brit...Norfolk Brummie is the retired Drummer with tales to tell...and my special taste in JAZZ is earlier....starting in New Orleans in the 1920s....you picked up my name because I asked NB to tell us about his playing in the Hollywood Bowl...good to hear from you though Old Brit...music and sport are the best ways to keep in touch..

John,

IMHO the era of the Lighthouse was one of the best in jazz and amazingly Howard Rumsey is still alive and kicking at the age of 97, though he gave up playing a few decades ago. Let's hope he lives to make the century.

Maurice

Old Brit...I've just discovered that you and Eddie are old buddies so forget my previous post...I have not been on this site for some months so was not aware of what had gone before. Eddie and I lived near each other and must have been in the same class at Golden Hillock Road School.

I can not beleive that Howard Rumsey is 97!!!!! There is hope for us old geezers. I know he did play volley ball on the beach by the club. Was always very fit. I know all the rest are long gone. Come on Eddie tell us more of YOUR escapedes. John

Well Les Paul was well into his 90s when he passed on and had been doing a regular weekly jazz gig in New York until just before he died. But such real oldtimers are starting to become a rarity nowadays.

Maurice

Maurice: Les Paul was one of the many musicians I met during my career. At music trade fairs in Chicago, Atlanta, and L.A. he could be found on the Gibson guitar stand, playing and chatting to his many followers. He was a nice, very humble man that had time for everyone. Eddie.

That's what I have heard too, Eddie. Certainly the guy was an innovator and the first person to make multitrack recording a real working process.

Maurice

Back