• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

McAllister family

Nelli

Brummie babby
Looking for the McAllisters. Thomas McAllister has a birth date of approx 1857, allegedly Birmingham. In 1875, he joins the army, he gives his next of kin is a brother John, rather than his father, living at 45 Upper Webster Street, Birmingham. He has an older brother James but I cannot find him with any accuracy. He lists his religion as Roman Catholic. On his marriage certificate, he lists a Thomas McAllister as his father, occupation of shopkeeper.

I cannot find Thomas junior or senior on the 1861 or 1871 census records, in fact, I cannot find him until the 1891 census where he is listed as a soldier in the Glen Parva barracks.

If anyone can shed any light on either Thomas, I would be very grateful.

Is that Thomas on the 1911 census (Electroplater (Army Pensioner) with his wife Alice and 6 children. Born Birmingham, living at 56 Red lane, Coventry? This Thomas is listed on the 1901 census too, This time in Leicester, along with Alice and two children.

I have been looking at some Military records of a Thomas McAllister who lists his wife as Alice Chamberlain, married 19 December 1893, so perhaps I am looking at the wrong Thomas! Any idea what regiment your Thomas joined?

Is that Thomas on the 1911 census (Electroplater (Army Pensioner) with his wife Alice and 6 children. Born Birmingham, living at 56 Red lane, Coventry? This Thomas is listed on the 1901 census too, This time in Leicester, along with Alice and two children.

I have been looking at some Military records of a Thomas McAllister who lists his wife as Alice Chamberlain, married 19 December 1893, so perhaps I am looking at the wrong Thomas! Any idea what regiment your Thomas joined?
That's the one, Sue.

I can see Thomas on the later censuses (Leicester & Coventry as mentioned). And I can see a John McAllister birth listed as 1858ish Bham but as he appears to be in the Liverpool area I'd surmise without further other evidence it's just a coincidence.

I found this earlier for John McAlister, he was due to become a crew member in Liverpool but apparently didn't join the ship, I don't know if it's relevant (only one 'l' in the surname)

Attachments

• john-mcalister-1979.jpg
    john-mcalister-1979.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 3
Two possibilities - Thomas was not born McAllister and changed his name for some reason (usually to do with criminality) or he was illegitimate (not registered) and his mother subsequently married (again not registered) and for the early censuses he was listed under his step father's name.

Very difficult to prove either. A long shot but there is a birth registration for an Eleanor Mary MacAlister no mmn, Jun qtr 1850 Bham, which could maybe point to the latter.

I thought he was on a tree as James Thomas but I think that might be the son instead.

Last edited:
Banns for Marriage Thurlaston Leics 27 November 1892

Thomas McAllister , address Glen Parva Barracks Leics.
Alice Chamberlain ,address Thurlaston Leics.
religions listed Anglican.

marriage Thurlaston Leics 19th dec 1892.

Thomas McAllister , father Thomas McAllister
to
Alice Chamberlain, father Elisha Chamberlain

Thank you all for your replies, I appreciate your help. I'm currently kicking around the theory that he may have been baptised in Ireland. He spent time there as an adult as one of his children was born there. I have looked through the census records for 1871 and 1881 for any McAllister's in Upper Webster Street but they aren't there.

As he was still in the army when Alice was baptised I suspect that the Ireland connection (for this at least) is due to this rather than heritage.

A couple of things that stand out a little are a couple of the son's - Raphael Dilschesp and John Mosse. Have you found any connection to these names - Raphael & Mosse - on the Chamberlain side? I assume he may have picked up the word dilchesp on a posting to India and probably has no family connection.

As he was still in the army when Alice was baptised I suspect that the Ireland connection (for this at least) is due to this rather than heritage.

A couple of things that stand out a little are a couple of the son's - Raphael Dilschesp and John Mosse. Have you found any connection to these names - Raphael & Mosse - on the Chamberlain side? I assume he may have picked up the word dilchesp on a posting to India and probably has no family connection.
As it happens, I am doing this research and this family tree for John Mosse's grandson who is a former colleague of mine :)

Did you notice that on Thomas's military records it states that he joined at Curragh Camp. This was in the Dublin Area (my Gt. Grandfather was there and his son, my Grandfather, was born in Curragh Camp)

Also listed in "Claims to Pension Submitted to Chelsea Board" : Leicester Regiment. served in India of very good character. He was a Sergeant, born Birmingham about 1857. The Pension Admission date was 14 April 1988 He did serve in former corps but I am not sure what this means or what it says. I am not exactly sure when or where he did join the army. There seem to be three different dates on his papers. Also Birmingham and Curragh. It also looks as if it is the next of kin that lived at Upper Webster Street. You say the brother's name was John but I cannot really make out his name. Looks like there is an n,o and c.

I found a John McAllister listed on the 1901 census in Liverpool. He was a Street Musician, born Birmingham and is Blind. Living at 63 Baptist Street, with his wife Alice. Did you know there is a pottery (Nicholas Mosse Pottery) in Wexford, Ireland,

Did you notice that on Thomas's military records it states that he joined at Curragh Camp. This was in the Dublin Area (my Gt. Grandfather was there and his son, my Grandfather, was born in Curragh Camp)
I did. His attestation though was signed in Warwick on 14 September and the Curragh Camp date was 4 days later.
His brother's name is a Jno which is a diminutive of John. I have seen that Liverpool record and I am wondering about it but I need to dig further to see if there is anything other that ties him to either Thomas jnr or Thomas snr. It's a real puzzle this one. I cannot find hide nor hair of this family on the 1861 or 1871 census records. I wish I could as it might give some clues.

I found a John McAllister listed on the 1901 census in Liverpool. He was a Street Musician, born Birmingham and is Blind. Living at 63 Baptist Street, with his wife Alice. Did you know there is a pottery (Nicholas Mosse Pottery) in Wexford, Ireland,
That's not him, sadly. I found his marriage certificate and his father is a John McAllister

Back