• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lozells Girls School

First the easy bit can you find my late mom Pauline Langford (pictured right) in the group photo?
I found it hard as at least 5 of the girls have the same hairstyle. Still not sure, not good
recognizing facial features.
Pauline was born in 1919, so if she was 7/8 ? in the group photo it would have been taken
in 1926/27
She lived in John Street, I'm sure the school is in Lozells any idea which one it could be?
Anglesey St possibly rings a bell. Now discovered she went to Lozells Senior Girls School and left aged just 14 in 1933.LOZschool.jpganglesey st.JPG

Last edited:
hi rob what lovely photos and yes given the closeness of wills st and anglesey st school i would say thats a good guess...

as to picking out your mom in the school photo... as you say given the hair styles of the day i think she could be one of 2 or 3 girls...i am torn between 2 of the girls will stick my neck out and guess at the girl sitting on the right end of row 2 my second choice would be the girl sitting in front of her

lyn

Hi I'm new on here me and my sister went to Lozells infants junior and I for few months senior school then we moved to kingstanding ,we lived at 3 Defford place Clifford street I don't have photos but many happy memories, our Grandparents lived in Guilford street our names where Linda and jean Kimberley we moved to Kingstanding due to the houses being demolished there was only ours and one more still lived in
Hi my wife had a facebook message saying on a Aston site trying to find Kimberley I was advised of your name along with siblings so think you're my sister. On looking through sites to find out it was genuine I saw you lived at Defford Place. I along with Roma George and Heather went to Lozells infant junior and the in the girls case senior. The school years would be circa 1948 - 55 ish

Last edited:
Hi Lyn
I attended Lozells Girls from September 1965 until late November 1967. I really loved my time there. I would have liked to have finished my schooling at Lozells. However, due to the redevelopment of Aston we moved to Erdington.
It was all very nice moving to a house with a bathroom etc; but I was so unhappy to have lost my friends and neighbours that I had grown to love...

Teachers that I recall from Lozells Girls School

Headmistress Miss Reid

Mrs Ayre Geography
Mrs Banbury English
Mrs Beer Not sure but was Australian
Miss Brown English
Miss Cage Not sure
Mrs Eden Art
Mrs Evers History
Miss Fraser Geography
Mrs Gumbley English and Handwriting
Mr Hale English
Miss Jones Science
Miss Kebby English and RE
Mrs Orton Domestic Science
Mrs Pask Needlework
Mrs Randall Needlework
Miss Savage Domestic Science
Mr Tipper Not sure
Mrs Ward Domestic Science
Mrs Waterman Geography and Netball
Mrs Watt Music
Miss Winfer Maths
Mrs Wood PE

I have to say that Mrs Gumbley was my favourite teacher! There was something very special about her that I loved....

Mr and Mrs Rainey Caretakers

Regards
Linda

Last edited:
hi linda i thought i recognised your name...we started at lozells girls at the same time...i stayed on an extra year to take the cse exams...loved it there and i remember a lot of the teachers on your list...agree about miss gumbley she was a lady of many talents as she took us for gardening in the annexe just down from the main school..miss gumbley lived in radnor road handsworth and 3 of us girls was invited to her house for tea one day......loved miss wood because she allowed those that wanted to stay behind after school to play badminton in the hall which i loved...also mr jones took us for maths..no relation to miss jones...miss reed the head was head when our mom was at the school during the 40s so she had been there a long time...do you have any class photos linda as i can not remember any being taken ?...happy days

lyn

Last edited:
First the easy bit can you find my late mom Pauline (pictured right) in the group photo?
I found it hard as at least 5 of the girls have the same hairstyle. Still not sure, not good
Pauline was born in 1919, so if she was 7/8 ? in the group photo it would have been taken
in 1926/27
She lived in John Street, I'm sure the school is in Lozells any idea which one it could be?
Anglesey St possibly rings a bell.View attachment 136058View attachment 136059
nice pic that

Hi Lyn
I attended Lozells Girls from September 1965 until late November 1967. I really loved my time there. I would have liked to have finished my schooling at Lozells. However, due to the redevelopment of Aston we moved to Erdington.
It was all very nice moving to a house with a bathroom etc; but I was so unhappy to have lost my friends and neighbours that I had grown to love...

Teachers that I recall from Lozells Girls School

Headmistress Miss Reid

Mrs Ayre Geography
Mrs Banbury English
Mrs Beer Not sure but was Australian
Miss Brown English
Miss Cage Not sure
Mrs Eden Art
Mrs Evers History
Miss Fraser Geography
Mrs Gumbley English and Handwriting
Mr Hale English
Miss Jones Science
Miss Kebby English and RE
Mrs Orton Domestic Science
Mrs Pask Needlework
Mrs Randall Needlework
Miss Savage Domestic Science
Mr Tipper Not sure
Mrs Ward Domestic Science
Mrs Waterman Geography and Netball
Mrs Watt Music
Miss Winfer Maths
Mrs Wood PE

I have to say that Mrs Gumbley was my favourite teacher! There was something very special about her that I loved....

Mr and Mrs Rainey Caretakers

Regards
Linda
Hi Linda, my wife Sheila (nee Rogers), says Miss Cage was Maths & P.E. Sheila left Lozells School at end of 1962.

Hi Linda, my wife Sheila (nee Rogers), says Miss Cage was Maths & P.E. Sheila left Lozells School at end of 1962.
Thank you Banjo.
Miss Cage never taught me. I recall her leaving the school not long after I started there. I was told by older girls that she was very strict!
Regards
Linda

hi linda i thought i recognised your name...we started at lozells girls at the same time...i stayed on an extra year to take the cse exams...loved it there and i remember a lot of the teachers on your list...agree about miss gumbley she was a lady of many talents as she took us for gardening in the annexe just down from the main school..miss gumbley lived in radnor road handsworth and 3 of us girls was invited to her house for tea one day......loved miss wood because she allowed those that wanted to stay behind after school to play badminton in the hall which i loved...also mr jones took us for maths..no relation to miss jones...miss reed the head was head when our mom was at the school during the 40s so she had been there a long time...do you have any class photos linda as i can not remember any being taken ?...happy days

lyn

Hi Lyn
There were several Linda/Lynda/Lynne/Lindsey names that I recall;
Harrington
Hines
Illsley
Jennings (myself)
Jones
Nicholls
Sanders
Strevens

I too intended to stay on for the extra year. Unfortunately our street was to be demolished and we moved to Erdington.
I cannot convey to you how upset I was to leave the school.
The main reason was Mom and Dad worked full time. I was the eldest child so I looked after my brother and sister. We all went to Paget school. It was an Infant, Junior and Senior School. I realise now that Mom and Dad were thinking of our well-being and safety all being at the same school. It makes sense from a parents point of view.
My brother was in the 1st year of the Seniors and settled in very well making lots of new friends.
My sister didn’t like the Juniors so, she went back to Alma Street School. My Mom worked at E&J Leek next door to the School so there wasn’t a problem.
As my sister was able to return to Alma and my brother was happy at Paget Mom said, I could go back to Lozells.
It was a Monday morning and I was so excited. I put my uniform on, packed my school bag, PE kit, pumps etc; As a 13 year old I assumed I could just return to Lozells. Silly, silly me!
Anyway, Miss Reid said she was more than happy for me to return but I needed permission from Miss Garvey the Headmistress at Paget.
An appointment was made to see Miss Garvey. Mom was unable to attend because of work so, my aunt Edith went with me. It turned out to be one of the most upsetting days of my life!
Miss Garvey said I had a lot to offer Paget and for that reason she wouldn’t give her permission for me to return to Lozells. I was absolutely bereft! I had the biggest lump in my throat. I managed to control the tears until I got home.
Needless to say I didn’t do the extra year of schooling because I was so unhappy and couldn’t wait to leave.
Every year I celebrate July 18th 1969, the day I left School!!!

I recall Mrs Gumbley gardening. It was after she retired if my memory serves me right. Yes indeed she had many talents. I loved her handwriting lessons!

My memories of Mrs Wood are not good ones. My first encounter with her was at Victoria Road Swimming Baths. I was about 7 years old. It was the first time I had been to a swimming baths. Mrs Wood was the swimming instructor.
I was in the water and she was teaching us from the side. I was holding onto the bar when she told me to put my head back. Then she put the tip of her toes on my forehead. It was quite forceful and I went straight under! It was a terrifying experience. The memory of it is still vivid to this day.

Mrs Waterman took the class for netball. I loved the game especially playing centre attack.

Unfortunately I don’t have any class photos. I don’t recall any that were taken during my time there either...

Happy days indeed.
Do you remember 1967 Flower Power? Nearly all the school had a cow bell hanging around their necks! Ha ha such fun

Regards
Linda

hi linda....it was a pity that you could not go back to lozells girls..i loved it there...had a similar issue at the swimming baths but it was not miss wood who dunked me under the water...must say i cant remember the flower power day..im sure i would have remembered wearing a cow bell lol...linda illesley was one of my closest mates and i am still trying to find her so if you ever read this post linda please get in touch..my favourite sport was badminton and used to stay behind after school to play it in the school hall...

lyn

hi linda....it was a pity that you could not go back to lozells girls..i loved it there...had a similar issue at the swimming baths but it was not miss wood who dunked me under the water...must say i cant remember the flower power day..im sure i would have remembered wearing a cow bell lol...linda illesley was one of my closest mates and i am still trying to find her so if you ever read this post linda please get in touch..my favourite sport was badminton and used to stay behind after school to play it in the school hall...

lyn
Hi Lyn
It was indeed a great pity I couldn’t return to the school. However as I’ve gone through life I’ve become a great believer in things happen for a reason. The good that came out of it I suppose was, making me more independent and stronger. Although I wasn’t thinking that way at the time. Fortunately I was given bus fare most evenings to see my friend Linda Sanders for a couple of hours. Linda lived on Chain Walk. We would sit in her front room listening to loads of records. That made me happy!
Regarding the cow bells; it wasn’t a Flower Power Day the bells were a kind of gimmick. They wasn’t very big. The Hippies of the day were wearing them.
If I do happen to come across Linda Illesley I will definitely let you know.
I also recall a Lynda Gwylam. I think her Nan had the corner shop on Berners Street.
Do you still play badminton?

Linda

hi linda no i still cant recall the cow bells but yes if you ever do come across linda illesly let me know please...actually i often wished i had been born about 5 years before i was because i would love to have experienced the whole hippy era including travelling the open roads a free spirit in an old vw camper van wearing a flower in my hair..if i tried it today i guess i would be called an old age traveller:D:D..badminton is out these days ...i would not be able to get around fast enough with my knee lol...my other passion was rollar skating...used to go 5 nights a week until the rink closed down but i actually went skating again about 4years ago....first time in over 40 years and i was amazed that i could still do it...obviously nowhere near as fast as i used to be be but at least i was getting around the rink without falling over:) happy days that i would not swap for all the tea in china

lyn

Last edited:
First the easy bit can you find my late mom Pauline (pictured right) in the group photo?
in 1926/27
Anglesey St possibly rings a bell.View attachment 136058View attachment 136059
I now have some proof that my mother went to Lozells Street Senior Girls School and left just aged 14 in 1933.
She had attended for 4 years and 8 months, so she must have been about 9 years and 4 months when she started.

cert3.jpg

hi rob how wonderful that you have the leaving cert....we cant be certain but as your mom attended lozells girls seniors its a good bet that the class photo you posted was taken at lozells infants....thanks for sharing

lyn

still looking out for any class or school photos of lozells girls seniors taken between 1964 and 1970 when i attended and between 1938 and about1944 when our mom attended ...hard to believe there does not seem to be any about for these years but never say never :)

lyn

Hi I'm new on here me and my sister went to Lozells infants junior and I for few months senior school then we moved to kingstanding ,we lived at 3 Defford place Clifford street I don't have photos but many happy memories, our Grandparents lived in Guilford street our names where Linda and jean Kimberley we moved to Kingstanding due to the houses being demolished there was only ours and one more still lived in
Hi LindaT I'm new on here too. My friend spotted this message and asked me if I knew anyone by the name of Kimberley being their surname. I knew Uncle Len and Auntie Lou who had a son called George and daughter in law Nell. They had two girls, Linda and Jean. Uncle Len and Auntie Lou lived in Guildford Terrace, Guildford Street at the bottom of the terrace and we lived at the top. My Nan, Annie Cusack lived at 1/150 and my Mom and Dad (Meaden) lived at 1/152. I have two brothers, Tom and Nigel. Pls let me know. Thank you Christine M

hi susan welcome to the forum...i remember you....we were both there at the same time...did you stay on to take cse exams cant quite remember if you did or not....my name is linda harrington from villa st...i was good friends with georgina mildenhall and linda ilsley...

lyn
Good afternoon. I have come across the name Linda Ilsley in your passage. I am interested in knowing if this is the Linda Ilsley from Marsh Lane, early 1970s?

Good afternoon. I have come across the name Linda Ilsley in your passage. I am interested in knowing if this is the Linda Ilsley from Marsh Lane, early 1970s?
hi jayeye so sorry for the delay in replying i missed your post..regarding my friend linda ilsley to be honest i dont remember where she lived in the 70s we lost touch after we left school but i do seem to remember that her first job was at a solicitors opposite st philips cathederal city centre...i would still love to get back in touch with her after all these years

lyn

Wales nice photo,
My mum born in 1917 lived in Defford Place (Clifford Street) so would most likely have go to Lozells School at the time of that photo.

Both my sisters went to at least seniors and I guess infants and juniors. My youngest sister was born in 1952 so I guess around your time.

Brother like I went to Lozells Infant and Junior and then Gower St Senior.

No photos but a maybe smile: family ribbing I still get is I wouldn’t walk to Lozells Infant so had to be pushed in a push chair, apparently the kids used to tease – seems I didn’t care.

Junior school was on corner of Clifford St and Lozells St I believe - well the one I went to anyways.

Ray
Does anyone remember Miss Josty the headmistress of Lozells girls school

Lyn you must of beeen at Lozells about the same time as me. It is my first time on this site and it is great to see old pics and read peoples memories. Just a few of mine.Going down to the annexe for gardening/art. Remembering being in a lesson with miss jones, the welsh teacher when she told us about the aberfan disaster. Sometimes nipping in a little dingy cafe (by the annexe ) FOR A CUP OF OXO when it was cold.Going to Warren farm for cookery, just a few of the teachers that come to mind, mrs banbury,miss watts,miss cage arrrrgh,mrs woods,miss brown,mrs gumbley ,miss woods (in her little grey gym skirt) mrs eden,miss read to name just a few .The photo of the hall brings back a lot of memories including our leaving party 1967.
I was also at Lozells Girls, I left in 1970, would it be possible to share the old schools photos with me please. cheers :)

hi tinkiebab and welcome...yes miss reid was pretty stern i thought the deputy head miss banbury was nice though..may i ask your name as i may remember you..mine is linda harrington ..i stayed on an extra year so we may not have been in the same class...there are quite a few photos of the inside and outside of the school on this thread but you will need to start reading from post 1 so that you do not miss any of them

lyn

Hello everyone, thank you for allowing me to become a member. I’m writing about the photo of the group of young Ladies waiting for a bus near Lozells Street girls’ School. I have a personal connection with this picture, as a similar one appears on the cover of a book that was published about the Inner Circle route - the young Lady in the centre of that particular photo, looking over the shoulder of the girl in front of her is my late Mother, then aged about 14.

I tried to contact the authors of the book to see if I might obtain a copy of the photo, and a few days later, one of them contacted me. He told me he worked at the then Central Library, and that they had a box of photographs all featuring the same group of girls, and I could go and look through them if I wished.

When I went to the library to do so, I met the Gentleman who had contacted me. He told me that from
what he knew, the photographs had been gifted to the library by the family of the school Caretaker who had himself taken most of them. The photographs depicted the activities of the school Housewifery class, which the girls apparently attended during their last year at school. I found several pictures of my late Mother among the set, cleaning windows, making beds and so on. The library was kind enough to provide me with scanned copies of the pictures, and currently they are put away for safe keeping. As soon as I can put my hand on them again, I will post them for you all to see.

Just in case any members of the group might be reading this, my Mother was Enid
Hunt (nee Berry), originally from Farm Street. She passed in April 1999.

Hello everyone, thank you for allowing me to become a member. I’m writing about the photo of the group of young Ladies waiting for a bus near Lozells Street girls’ School. I have a personal connection with this picture, as a similar one appears on the cover of a book that was published about the Inner Circle route - the young Lady in the centre of that particular photo, looking over the shoulder of the girl in front of her is my late Mother, then aged about 14.

I tried to contact the authors of the book to see if I might obtain a copy of the photo, and a few days later, one of them contacted me. He told me he worked at the then Central Library, and that they had a box of photographs all featuring the same group of girls, and I could go and look through them if I wished.

When I went to the library to do so, I met the Gentleman who had contacted me. He told me that from
what he knew, the photographs had been gifted to the library by the family of the school Caretaker who had himself taken most of them. The photographs depicted the activities of the school Housewifery class, which the girls apparently attended during their last year at school. I found several pictures of my late Mother among the set, cleaning windows, making beds and so on. The library was kind enough to provide me with scanned copies of the pictures, and currently they are put away for safe keeping. As soon as I can put my hand on them again, I will post them for you all to see.

Just in case any members of the group might be reading this, my Mother was Enid
Hunt (nee Berry), originally from Farm Street. She passed in April 1999.
hi chris what year was your mom born....my mom was born in 1929 and like myself attended the housewifery classes in the old house next door to the school...when time permits we would love to see those scanned photos you have as they would make a great addition to this thread

all the best and enjoy the forum

lyn

hi chris what year was your mom born....my mom was born in 1929 and like myself attended the housewifery classes in the old house next door to the school...when time permits we would love to see those scanned photos you have as they would make a great addition to this thread

all the best and enjoy the forum

lyn
Hello Lyn
Thank you for your your kind comments and interest in my first posting here. My Mom was born 24th March 1934, and lived with her parents, Walter and Winifred (nee Stevens) Berry, at 225 Farm Street. I’m also going to post a copy of the photo I mentioned in my post, hope you enjoy seeing it.

chris i have often looked at that photo and wondered who the girls were...how wonderful that your mom is one of them...my mom was about 5 years older than your mom so was probably in her last year as your mom would have been in her first...look forward to seeing your other photos when you have time

lyn

Back