• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lozells Girls School

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
would anyone out there have any photos of the inside or outside of lozells girls. i was at the school from 1964 to 1969 or 70. have managed to obtain an outside pic from the central library archives but am always on the lookout for more. many fond memories of my time there.

heres the picture of lozells girls school. hope someone out there remembers it dated 1968
lozells girls school 1968.jpg

Last edited:
That photo brings back many memories. When I first left school I worked at a Butchers. Mon and Wed were early closing and I would regularly wait there for my girlfriend Barabara to come out of school.

glad the photo brings back memories to you both. i have got another one taken in the playground with the girls on may day 1929 i think. bit before our time ha ha just. its a lovely pic so i will post it now for you. wales

Were there two Lozells Street schools? I seem to remember one being on a corner of Gerard Street and would it be Lozells St. and the other being over the road on the other side of Gerard Street. If there was another school there, was it Lozells Boys School?

jules the one opposite the all girls on the corner of lozells st was the infant and juniors. got a pic somewhere i will try and dig it out. wales.

Wales nice photo,
My mum born in 1917 lived in Defford Place (Clifford Street) so would most likely have go to Lozells School at the time of that photo.

Both my sisters went to at least seniors and I guess infants and juniors. My youngest sister was born in 1952 so I guess around your time.

Brother like I went to Lozells Infant and Junior and then Gower St Senior.

No photos but a maybe smile: family ribbing I still get is I wouldn’t walk to Lozells Infant so had to be pushed in a push chair, apparently the kids used to tease – seems I didn’t care.

Junior school was on corner of Clifford St and Lozells St I believe - well the one I went to anyways.

Ray

wow ray. unless you know what yer mom looked liked at that age she may be on that photo. yes your right about the location of the infants and juniors. just round the corner in lozells st was the old red phone box. went past there the other week and there is still a phone box on the same spot. a new one of course. nice story about you being being took to school in the pushchair. i will try and find a photo of the infants and juniors for you tomorrow. wales.

sorry ray. what is your youngest sisters name. we would have been there at the same time. i was born in 53.

wicked ray. thats taken at the same 1928 festival as the one i put on. im always looking for pics of the school especially of the seniors. we must have had class photos done but havent found any yet.

hi all...its been a while since i posted on this thread so if anyone has any pics of lozells girls school especially of the inside of it or any class photoes i would love to see them...

lyn..

hi all ...im posting this pic for one of our new members reg cook who is having probs posting pics...its a cracking one of his cousins 21st birthday party which was held in one of the schools halls. around 1952..i attended lozells girls and i am pretting convinced this pic was taken there and not in the infants and juniors accross the road...reg is going to try to confirm this with a member of his family....thanks reg its a little gem...

lyn

hi ya maggie...i was hoping you would know this one...as i remember it the classrooms were all on the right(you can just see a classroom door)on the left were just windows which looked out onto the playground...i tell you maggie this has made my day....

lyn...

yep thats right Lyn and at the top of the corridor on the right was Miss Cage's maths room ..she was a hard teacher ..wouldnt explain anything to you just thought you should know it

Last edited:
lol they all were maggie...i am going to scrutanise this pic...im sure there were radiators under the windows on the left..think i can just make em out..dont know if you remember them...i could put pen to paper and draw the inside of that school..well if you say its our hall thats good enough for me...

cheers...

lyn

Gives me Goose bumps, giving much pleasure to our Astonians. Fantastic what photo's can do ain't it. Reg.

ive always set a lot of store on photos reg....

thanks again and i will post church ones etc for you tomorrow..im still reeling from this one...lol

lyn

I went to St Mary's RC school. & we used to go to this school for cookery lessons on a Friday, 1944 to 45. can.t remember the teachers name. there was,nt much l of the food left we had cooked by the time we got home!!
Jeqn.

lol jean..same here..we would eat our cooked food well before we got home...

lyn

hi all ...im posting this pic for one of our new members reg cook who is having probs posting pics...its a cracking one of his cousins 21st birthday party which was held in one of the schools halls. around 1952..i attended lozells girls and i am pretting convinced this pic was taken there and not in the infants and juniors accross the road...reg is going to try to confirm this with a member of his family....thanks reg its a little gem...

lyn
Hiya Lyn. just had a phone call off our Brian, he's the small boy front left of picture. He said it was the Main!! hall of the school, if that mean's anything to ya. Reg.

hi reg..there was only one hall at lozells girls school but as both myself and maggie are convinced the pic is taken there we will stick with that..unless of course your brian could deff confirm it and after all this time i doubt if he could....any road up its a brillient shot and a rare on to boot...ps ive posted your st andrews church pics....

lyn

Will send pic to my older sister, as she was there circa 1954 - 59

Ray

Astoness,

My apologies, just reread this thread and see I did not answer your question ”sorry ray. what is your youngest sisters name. we would have been there at the same time. i was born in 53. “

Heather born 1952.

Ray

Back