• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lost streets of birmingham

Thank you all for this info, its amazing that you have come up with thus so quickly! I'm planning to take Mom to Water St soon for a look round and I can show Dad these pics and see if he can tell me which house he lived in. Really grateful!
With reference to Mike's map in post#56 an aerial view of the Water St area dated 1937. The lock keeper's cottage is highlighted in faint colour.
source 'britainfromabove'

Not sure if this is pertinent, but here's an aerial photo of Acocks Green, takin in 1926, I think? At least, that's what I was told. I'll have to zoom in to take a closer look. 133304

Any one know, or heard of " Rotton Park Row", it used to be the site of the city dump, in the late 50's early 60's.??? Paul

My brother and his friends used to go exploring on the "tip on Hagley Rd". (I didn't go) There is a Rotton Park Road off Hagley Road, so perhaps thats the one?
My Dad made me a tricycle from bits from that "tip", there was no saddle so he made one from wood and covered it with leatherette, it was very comfortable too!
rosie.

I think that was the place Rosie, my dad was a night watchman at weekends, after working all week, he then spent 18 hours over the weekend there , we were "The Working Poor", sometimes I went with him, it was a weird and wonderful place for a young Brummie Bab. Paul

Tayrich

Willis St Nechells ran from St James St to Great Lister St, it has all gone now. Even the little section outside St Mathews Church is only a walkway now.

Phil
Hi I'm new to the forum and researching family history and wanted to find Willis St. My grand parents lived at No 2 and think it was an off licence so very interested in the picture I found and wondering if that is the place No2. My grandmother lived there first and was a licensed beer saleswoman her name was Doris Jackson. She then married my Grandfather James Male who lived at 114 Clifton Road Borsall Heath. My Mum was born in 1933 and lived there until the war but her mother died in 1940 and she was evacuated to Derbyshire. Her last memory was of an air raid, being in the shelter and next day seeing the shop with the windows blown in. She was only 6 at the time and never returned to Birmingham as her farther was in the RAF in Leicestershire and remarried and we now live in Leicestershire. Many thanks for any insight. Stevie

welcome to the forum stevie harry and thanks for your interesting post....enjoy

lyn

Hi Gill

Sorry I have no knowledge of anybody who lived in Rann Street, but I do have a couple of photos, also Mikejee was around that area in the late 60's early 70's taking photos and he also has several photos of the area, I'm sure he will sort a couple out for you.

Ladywood Rann St (2).jpgLadywood Rann St 1959.jpg

Hi Gill,

When asking for names, it helps if you can give us an approximate date - censuses are available 1841-1911 and the online electoral rolls until 1965, and trade directories until 1974. After that, it is a bit hit and miss. There are also a few more photographs on the Old Ladywood site here: http://www.oldladywood.co.uk/
Good luck with your search,

Maurice

Anyone know of Rann Street. Ladywood? Or a family by the name of Bishop?

Gill I've heard of and knew where Rann St was , a woman that lived opposite us in William St was born and bred in Rann St her mother a widow still lived there in the 60's I can't remember her surname though

The thing is Bob if Ladywood was anything like the area I lived in back then, well very few people could afford cars.
Could you imagine if Brum still had all those courts where would all those folks park today, I know people (getting fewer) that have never owned a car, that's one of my pops big complaints to many cars, when we were young a football game in the street was normal no cars parked or driving.

Could you imagine if Brum still had all those courts where would all those folks park today, I know people (getting fewer) that have never owned a car, that's one of my pops big complaints to many cars, when we were young a football game in the street was normal no cars parked or driving.

When I was a kid in the 60's, my dad wouldnt let my sisters and I have bikes...as the roads were too busy :rolleyes:

What about our beloved Paddington St Lyn? Surely it qualifies as one of the lost streets of Birmingham...

Dave A

When I was a kid in the 60's, my dad wouldnt let my sisters and I have bikes...as the roads were too busy :rolleyes:
The good thing about being young during the latter art of WW2 and the late 1940's was that so little traffic was on the minor roads. The most frequent was delivery people, often still using horse and cart.

Gill I've heard of and knew where Rann St was , a woman that lived opposite us in William St was born and bred in Rann St her mother a widow still lived there in the 60's I can't remember her surname though
Thankyou for you're reply. Did you know of an Aluminium Holloware works? Not sure where that was. Irene Bishop worked there as a typist?

does anyone remember ward I in the accident hospital bath row. It was a childrens ward on the top floor, I have been trying for ages to get a photo of it. I was a patient in that ward in 1969 july, after having a road accident, I was in the hospital for 18 months. if anyone can help I shall be forever grateful.

What about our beloved Paddington St Lyn? Surely it qualifies as one of the lost streets of Birmingham...

Dave A

hi ya dave i know we have posted many time on the paddington st thread but yes you are quite right our beloved street does deserve to have a photo posted of it on this thread after all it is lost but will never be forgotten..this one shows the entry to my nans back house which is where i was born

lyn

paddingtonstandqueen040.jpg

lyn

It is probably easiest if you tell us the address (if you have a more exact one) - as map scales often mean only a small section can be shown otherwise you can't read things clearly.
The red marker is St Gabriels. Map dated c1889
Sorry this post was from last year since then I have sent for 8 certificates & all but 2 give a slight difference in the address or are not 100% readable with age so far I have 3 with 9 court barn st with what could poss be 2 back?

My dear old mom was born in Willis St, Nechells. Love to find exactly where it was,
What was Willis Street is now primarily Duddeston Manor Road off of Vauxhall Road just to the side of Willow House which is opposite Erskine Street.

Back