• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lost streets of birmingham

I thought you may like this picture by Irene Welburn of the Market Hall, Bullring.
The only remnant is the statue which is now in the new Bullring

Attachments

• Market Hall and Nelson Statue.JPG
    Market Hall and Nelson Statue.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 46
thanks charles i like that...funnily enough the market hall has just been mentioned on another thread...welcome to the forum

lyn

Does anyone know where Colmore Street was - late 18th early 19th century? I keep looking but can't find any information/pictures for it. :adoration:
Hello.Don't know if you're still looking but I used to live on Latimer St. which was off Great Colmore St.

Thankyou for you're reply. Did you know of an Aluminium Holloware works? Not sure where that was. Irene Bishop worked there as a typist?

I've only just noticed your post , sorry for the delay . The only alum holloware works I know of was Bulpitts in Icknield St , hope this helps

Hi Guys
i was just wondering does any body have any old maps or pics of our lost streets of brum
especialy around that area, which was close to the bull ring in times gone bye.
the street names i have are as follows;
Cotton row; and Cotton street which was off fazely street and of course which would have been even closer to the old bull ring in that period was
Engine street which was off new cannal street which i truely beleive would have been virtualy in the heart of the very orinional bull ring
tracing from bromsgrove st where the main old fish whole sale market stood and the under ground storage of the fruit and veg
and of course the holding of cattle brought from the country side to the hide and skin,
Cotton row And cotton street was cleared in the period of 1884 years,
Also Forge street, off mill lane which came from the ASTON ROAD PART OF THE CITY STRAIGHT INTO THE HEART OF THE BULL RING
Forge street of mill lane was cleared in 1886 ;
Here is a list of afew more streets that changed brum ;
from the past to the present ; Warstone lane east 1873; to todays Alfred st .
from William street , changed in 1898 to cranby street saltley .
And last of ALL was moses lane to todays name Croft rd Yardley . birmingham
so brum as changed dramaticaly and is still changing to compete with the europeans countries , is that a good thing or a bad thing ;
i think they call it progress today or am i behind times
all i can say is only the fittest and the richess will survive this planet
best wishes everybody and roll on the good climate changes they forcasted my bones cannot take these winter cold weather
Astonian ;;;

I have on my website a few photographs of a map of the Colmore Estate from 1760 or earlier. It is on jsprints-ink.co.uk under Birmingham History- Estates of Charles Colmore. I am a new member floundering at present trying to understand your systems. I hope this works

Any idea where Buggs/Braggs Lane (?) was? Next households are just listed as Witton in 1851. Can't see it on later maps and I'm not sure if it was an actual road. One of the residents was a William Bragg, farmer, and I'm thinking it might just have been a lane on his farm.

Thanks.

Cannot find a Braggs Lane (I think that is what it is on census) but in the 1880 Kellys there is a William Bragg ,farmer , Witton, which I think can reasonably be assumed to be him. Unfortunately, suburbs of Birmingham were not listed very clearly as to exact position. However in the 1890 Kellys there is a William Edward Bragg at Moor Lane Farm, Witton (possibly his son). I think it reasonable to assume that the family are still on the same farm, and Moor Lane farm is shown on the c1889 OS map below. Also I have marked its position in red (it is marked but not here named) on the c1863 smaller scale OS map . So possibly Moor End Lane was once known as Braggs Lane.

map c1863 showing  Moor lane farm.jpgmap c1889 showing moor lane farm, witton.jpg

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
William E Bragg, farmer at Moor Lane Farm, Witton. Was a Guardian of the Poor at the Aston Union from before
1866, but in the Bankruptcy Court in April 1892.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
In 1859 the Council discussed the purchase of a site from Wyrley Birch for a the new cemetery. Access by good and direct roads, and surrounded by good roads.

In 1862 after the opening it is described as 105 acres and bounded by Moor Lane, New Lane (? Ridgeway) and the roads to Witton and Oscott.

My dear old mom was born in Willis St, Nechells. Love to find exactly where it was,
So was my mom Tayrich! Actually at 2/4, Willis Street. I wonder if they or their parents knew each other?

Attachments

• Willis Street.jpg
    Willis Street.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 42
BARTHOLOMEW'S POCKET ATLAS & GUIDE TO BIRMINGHAM - 1939

ATLAS.jpg

Not sure if this is the best place to post this; I've come across the above, in pristine condition, it belonged to my Grandfather, would it interest anyone if I scanned the pages and loaded up to the site, if so, which is the best place?

May I suggest you scan and load to the Maps and Mapping thread Jeremy. I expect it is too large a project for just one post but it would not matter how many posts were need to reproduce the book. The posts would become a useful resource for researchers here on BHF. Many times maps are requested by posters.

Looking for information...
Does anyone remember ASTON AUTO MOTORS the scooter dealers I found a lambretta they sold in 1958 and restored her.
Would like to piece together any history surrounding the dealers.
Any help would be appreciated
Also looking for any memorabilia other other scooter related pieces.
thanks

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1585334916600.jpg
    FB_IMG_1585334916600.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 28
  • FB_IMG_1585334925623.jpg
    FB_IMG_1585334925623.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 29
  • FB_IMG_1585334948714.jpg
    FB_IMG_1585334948714.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 32
  • FB_IMG_1585342878276.jpg
    FB_IMG_1585342878276.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 32
  • FB_IMG_1585342885909.jpg
    FB_IMG_1585342885909.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 28
Hi, I'm brand new to the site so be gentle with me!! I'm looking back to my Mom and Dad's early years. Mom born in Water Street opposite a lock keepers cottage, have found some old pics of Water Street but not many. Any ideas of whereabouts the lock keeper might have lived?
Dad born in Gordon Street in Small Heath. His family were bombed out during the blitz and he says that Gordon Street was all demolished. I know there is a Gordon Street still in that area but Dad says that the one he lived in was just at the back of the Blues ground, does anyone have any info about this one?? Thanks
I lived in Gordon Street in the late 60s We were at no 42 which were maisonettes, but at the start of the Garrison Lane end there were still a row of terraced houses that had obviously escaped the bombings.

hi ya dave i know we have posted many time on the paddington st thread but yes you are quite right our beloved street does deserve to have a photo posted of it on this thread after all it is lost but will never be forgotten..this one shows the entry to my nans back house which is where i was born

lyn

View attachment 135762

lyn
Thanks Lyn
This peck was opposite a shop called Bellingers , I lived up the street at 39 Paddington st.
At the back of the peck were houses , some names were Arnold’s , Astly, mr. Robinson had a metal polishing place up the yard

To the right of the peck , front first two houses were the Reid’s and then Robinson’s
Albert

What's strange about this photo is that Albert Clayton thought that, like me, the peck on the right, was in the middle of the street, but in fact was at the top of the street.
Dave A

My dear old mom was born in Willis St, Nechells. Love to find exactly where it was,
Colmore st would now be part of New St station, as shown on the c1839 map (in red)

map1839shpwingcolmorest.jpg
I was born @at 1 Lansdowne Terrace Willis St Vauxhall B7 Situated between Gt Brook St and St James St till i was 5 then Moved to 14 Overton Place Barrack St B7

Looking for information...
Does anyone remember ASTON AUTO MOTORS the scooter dealers I found a lambretta they sold in 1958 and restored her.
Would like to piece together any history surrounding the dealers.
Any help would be appreciated
Also looking for any memorabilia other other scooter related pieces.
thanks
Lovely restoration, well done. I like the LD models outside the dealers. My first motorised 2 wheeler was the LD, passed my test on it, left home on it, carried my girlfriend (wife) on the back of it. Sold it when the drive shaft broke.:cold_sweat:
Andrew.

When I was kid, we were the working poor, my dad had a full time job , my mom , part time, and dad took a part time, weekend job for the council as watchman at "Rotten Park", council dump. I would go with him sometimes, and I remember walking down those old Victorian streets, and running my hand along the grubby bricks, as kids did, in the summer sun shine and feeling the warmth. Funny when I see these pictures of old Brum, it comes right back to me, and I really miss those far off days.!!!

Back