• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

birmingham 1969-73

Mikejee,
I was interested to see mention pf Blankensee's. My maternal grandpa worked for them in the difficult years around 1930 to 34, and lost a good job when he was only about 50, and when he found himself on the dole. For the next five years or so my grandparents lived mainly from letting rooms out in their tunnel-back terrace in Grasmere Road. He had his allotment which provided a lot of their food, but it was far from comfortable until the armaments industry got into step around 1938, and he soon found himself more than enough work, as well as keeping his allotment.
He was a proud man, and had several trophies from his early cycling days and awards from earlier employers. I remember a hand drawn caracature for Mr Nathan who was also in the watch and clock business. (They had a retail shop at the end of Corporation Street, near New Street).
Back to the Jewellery Quarter again, wouldn't it be nice to make a small party excursion round there some time. The JQ website has an excellent itinerary for a walk, and I think some of us could do a bit of homework first to make a really packed event. Two brilliant museums and a few pubs - what else could you wish for?
Peter

Last edited:
Yes I agree Peter. I haven't been round there for many years. might have to leave a bit early though.
When your grandfather worked for them they had moved a little bit to 14-16 & 49 Frederick st & 19-35 Regen t Place., but seemd to have left watchmaking for jewellery and silversmith interests.
Mike

Lovely pics, I grew up at the in that area and the photo's bring back a lot of memories. I used to walk around there visiting all the jewellers with my step mother. She used to take the most precious gems and gold to different jewellers for various work to be done, and she carried it all in an old shopping bag. Gosh how times have changed.

Maggs.

A diversion to Ladywood.
First (labelled 0) the corner of Wheeley’s road and Lee Bank Road. Dawsons, at 83-84 Wheeley’s road, seem to have left, but their signs still advertise them as locksmiths, mower salesmen and office furniture sellers. They had been here for just over 20 years, succeeding a combination of Peers the plumber and a tobacconists to keep Mrs Peers busy. Before that it was a grocers, and was renumbered in the 1870s from the original no 122 .
There follows (pic no 1) the row of houses in Lee Bank road adjoining the previous shot,
Going further over nos 4 and 5 show the corner of Alston St and Wood St, the first looking down wood St towards St Vincent St and the second slightly down Alston St. In the second of these St Johns church would be along to the right. The Ladywood Fish Shop is actually listed as 111 Alston St. It had only been a fish shop for a few years, before being a corner shop and for over fifty years an off-licence. but was soon to be demolished, with the rest of the street.
mike

0__Corner_Wheeleys_Rd__Lee_Bank_roadA.jpg

1A__Lee_bank_rd__next_to_jnct_Wheeleys_rd_.jpg

4A__Wood_st__alston_St_corner.jpg

5A__Wood_st__alston_St_corner.jpg

Last edited:
A bit further along Wood St was Rann St, named after the Rann family, who apparently were butchers and graziers. Nos 6, 7 and 9 show the corner of Rann and Wood st. At one time Rann St (like Alston st previously) cut across Wood st, but when these were taken both Rann and Alston street had been truncated. A slightly wider view of the corner is in Carl Chinns “Streets of Brum pt 4” , but that view was taken earlier, after demolition of the east side of Wood st, but before they had started the Ladywood Middleway.
No 8 adjoins the previous picture on wood st, and shows the houses between Rann st and St Vincent st.
No 10 is the corner of St Vincent st with Wood st., with the monument road baths in the background on the right. The last incarnation of the corner building (288 St Vincent St) was an off- licence , which it seems to have been continuously for at least 90 years.
mike

6A__Wood_st_jnct_Rann_st.jpg

7A__Wood_st_jnct_Rann_st.jpg

9A__Looking_down_Rann__st_from_wood_St_.jpg

8A__wood_St_next_to_7_.jpg

10A__Junction_of_st_vincent_st_wood_st_28288_vincent_st29.jpg

Mostly houses in this batch, so not much to say about them.
No 12 is in Vincent St ,the back of the Off licence at the corner with Wood St.
No 11 is looking down Vincent St from opposite the off licence towards Ladywood road
No 13 shows the houses between Wood st and Ladywood road
No 14. shows the St Vincent side of the junction with Ladywood road
No 15 Looking up Ladywood road from the junction towards Monument road

12A__Back_288_vincent_St.jpg

11A_vincent_st2C__from_junction_with_wood_st_towards_ladywood_rd.jpg

13A__St_vincent_St_between_wood_St_and_Ladywoodl_road.jpg

14A__St_vincent_St__junction_with_ladywood_rd.jpg

15A__Ladywood_road__junction_St_vincent_St.jpg

No 16 . Junction of Rann St with Ladywood road.
No 17. Looking up Ladywood road towards monument Road, from rann road junction
No 18. Looking down Rann St from Ladywood road junction
Nos 19.&20. Ladywood Road Alston St .Monument Road junction. Thomas Furber, undertakers had been here since about 1886, and, after this place was demolished, moved, and are now at Harborne. Before becoming a funeral parlor it was a dyers. Thomas took a while to decide his vocation, and between 1862 and 1888 he was successively carpenter, haberdasher, print seller, builder & carpenter and finally funeral director. It’s possible that they aren’t all the same person, but none seem to co-exist in the directories, so I think they are the same.
mike

16A__Rann_St__jnc_Ladywood_Road.jpg

17A__ladywood_rd_from_Rann_st_junction_towards_monument_road.jpg

18A_Rann_st_from_junction_ladywood_road.jpg

19A___Ladywood_road_bycorner_alston_st.jpg

20C_corner_alston_st__Ladywood_road.jpg

No 21. This seems to be the delivery entrance to Furbers in Alston Street. Looking at the 1914 map, there was probably quite a large area available for hearses.
22. This looks a bit like an old style doctors surgery, and that is what it was from about 1936 to 1966, occupied by Mr (must remember that as he was a surgeon and not one of the hoi-polloi medics) Reginald Abrahams. Before that it was occupied by, among others, an artificial teeth maker and the Misses Fearn ,teachers of music.
3, 23 and 24. These are of Rann St,, the last being a shot from one direction looking down to a fish & chip shop at the end, the first in the other direction, and the middle one, a section of the houses.
Note added by member Jabaprawn :"pictures 23 and 24 i could be wrong.. rann st,. with rann st chippie at the bottom. walked past these houses on my way to school (oratory school,oliver road"
26. Monument road baths before their demolition.

21A_Alston_st__next_to_20_.jpg

22A_Junction_of_Monument_Rd___Oliver_Rd_.jpg

3A.jpg

23A.jpg

24A.jpg

26A__Ladywood_swimmimg_baths_monument_road~0.jpg

Last edited:
These are all pictures of the Oratory school in Hyde road before demolition of these buildings. Norman Bartlam (Ladywood Revisited) has a picture of these buildings taken around the same time, and states that the main buildings here (on the left) were erected in 1947. I presume he means the block on the far left, as I would certainly put the date of the block with the school name on as earlier than this. I would think the chapel-like building would date from the formation of the school in the 1850s. In no 29 the entrance near the “chapel” is clearly marked Girls. Bartlam states that the infants went in on the far left entrance.

Added by Humph3: "
I attended the Oratory primary and secondary schools from 1956 to 1965. I thought I would add a little more information to the pictures for you if you don't mind.

Picture number one is in fact the Oratory Secondary school in Oliver Road and the car standing outside the entrance belonged to the sports teacher who used to drive it up to the Reservoir when we had to do cross country running around it. If you were lucky, one might have got a lift up in his car. Lucky for me, I did on several occasions in that very car, a Sunbeam Alpine..... His classroom was behind the three windows on the right of the building. The two windows to the left of the blue doors, was the headmaster's office, Mr. J.P. Barrett, who was a wonderful person.
The dark, large doors in the middle was the main entrance for the pupils to gain access and the four groundfloor windows to the left of those the science lab. To the very left of the picture, one can just see the low building which was the woodwork room. Great to see this picture. I had a wonderful time at that school.

The other four pictures are of the Oratory Primary and Infant School as you say. The nearest entrance is the infants and further down were a boys entrance, which wasn't used and the furthest entrance with the word 'girls' entered into the playground area by the hall which looked like a chapel."

32A__Oratory_school_hyde_rd.jpg

31A_Oratory_school_hyde_rd.jpg

29A_Oratory_school_hyde_rd.jpg

28A__Oratory_school_hyde_rd.jpg

25A__Oratory_school_hyde_rd.jpg

Last edited:
No 33 the last one showing a detail of the Oratory school.
27 shows the dispensary on Monument road
30 makes you realise what a desolation was left after the wrecking balls had finished their work. This shows a view from of Monument Road, around Hyde Road. looking towards the reservoir, with the chimney of what had once been The Ickiled Port Rolling & Wire Mills.later became the Winfield Rolling Mills, and by 1973 was the Hermetic Rubber Co.
34 and 35. More desolation. Pitsford road goods yard, that was, with Vyse st running across the top of the bridge.

Mike

33A_Oratory_school_hyde_rd.jpg

27A__dispensary2C_monument_road.jpg

30A.jpg

34A__Pitsford_st_goods_yard_remains.jpg

35A__Pitsford_st_goods_yard_remains.jpg

Last edited:
Queens College was formed by W.Sands Cox in 1830. He took over an old chapel in Paradise St and, with the aid of others, set up a small medical school there. One of the “others” was Dr. S.W.Warnford, a wealthy clergyman, who, with large gifts, encouraged the addition of theology and other subjects. Eventually a charter was granted and gothic buildings designed by Drury & Bateman were built on the site. Eventually all but the theology department went to Masons College, which became the University of Birmingham. In later years the buildings housed a number of diocesan offices together with accountants, sporting associations, Scrutons the tailors and the Ikon Gallery, but the unorderly mass of buildings was demolished around 1972 to give the rather bland block that is there today. They did keep a part of the frontage as a token.
The following pictures show the demolition of what was by then called Queens College Chambers, taken from Swallow St , or in some cases beyond Swallow St. Finally there is a rather nice pattern of original cobbles in Swallow St, the sort that planners now spend many thousands in laying in our city centres, but which nowadays are often in quite soft brick which breaks and wears. If it does not break and wear, some “authority” will take great pleasure in digging them up at the slightest whim, often using unskilled labour to replace them, or just asphalting over the space.
Mike

23A__back_queens_chambers.jpg

24A__back_queens_chambers.jpg

25B__back_queens_chambers.jpg

26B__back_queens_chambers.jpg

27B__back_queens_chambers.jpg

The cobbles are just beginning to peep through the tarmac layed in Carver St. I will go and have a look if I get back there this year.

On the edge of the city centre, on the corner of Cheapside and Rea St, was the Royal Oak. In View No 5 Bradford St is to the back of us and Cheapside runs across the picture. View no 23 is the back view of the pub. It looks like the position of the building necessitated very high chimneys to get a decent draught. There was a beer retailer here in 1855, a Mrs Sarah Kinman, who would have been 33 and whose wood-turner and beer seller husband Thomas had presumably died since the 1851 census, when they were just round the corner in Bradford St.. The style in the photograph shows that it was not the same building as then, and from 1855-1862 no 30 Cheapside is a beer seller and no 31 is a greengrocer, so presumably there are two separate buildings, and in the 1881 census there is a joint entry for trhe pub abd the next-door house . In 1880 George Swain was the licensee with his wife Jemima three children, a mother, mother in law and a brewer. By 1883 it was Thomas Swain licensee, but from 1884 to 1888 the licence was held by Joseph Garland, while George Swain, at the same address, is listed as a soda water maker. They have moved on by 1890 and the pub is finally named in Kellys in 1938 though it was named as the Royal Oak in the 1881 census.
View no 6 shows the adjacent buildings to the pub going out of town along Cheapside.
It is possible that here some of the earlier nineteenth century structure remains, but comparison of the maps for 1889 and c 1910 shows that much changed during this period and this is confirmed by the view no 24 looking across the back of the pub . The small building next to the pub (no 32) was wider in 1889 and behind the next three houses was a courtyard, court no 7. The small house seems always to have been a shop, earlier a greengrocers run by John Suckling, but the occupant later just described as shopkeeper.
The three houses next to it in the middle and late 19th century houses craftsman such as bootmakers, clockmakers and clock casement makers, but by the early 20th century are not usually listed, indicating that they are just dwelling places .
Finally the factory of Richard Ashton & Co does not look very ancient, but Richard was on part of this site , originally as a nail caster, then as a nail dealer, but seems to have taken over the whole site around 1882, and by 1884 is describing himself as a nailmaker. By 1912 the firm is a malleable ironfounder and by the time they disappear in about 1970 they are grey ironfounders.

5A__Royal_Oak2C_corner_Cheapside_Rea_st.jpg

23A__Back_Royal_Oak2C_Rea_St_.jpg

6A__nos_32-35_Cheapside.jpg

24A__Looking_across_back_Royal_Oak2Cfrom__Rea_St.jpg

7A__Richard_Ashton__36_Cheapside.jpg

The four photographs here show the headquarters of George Mason, grocers, at 55-68 Bradford St. The first three are of the frontage and the last of the back entrance in Cheapside. Judging by the lack of other firms in the directory, it seems as if they occupied the whole block. George learnt the grocery trade in Newport, but then moved to West Bromwich and with the aid of a London firm opened the first George Mason shops in Wednesbury & Walsall, with headquarters in West Bromwich, later taking over one of the firms, Mason, Williams & Co he had previously worked for. The firm continually expanded and in 1922 the head office came to Bradford St. The building here suffered serious damage by bombing in the war, necessitating a temporary movement to Kings Heath. After George’s death in 1932 the firm was sold to what later became the International Stores, though still trading as a separate entity till 1975. Information courtesy of Brum & Brummies 2 by Carl Chinn
mike

12A__George_Mason__55-68_Bradford_St_.jpg

13A__George_Mason__55-68_Bradford_StA_.jpg

14A_George_Mason__55-68_Bradford_St_.jpg

8A__Cheapside__Back_of__Masons.jpg

In Bradford St, opposite George Masons, on the corner of Birchall St, was the White Swan (view 10). There had been a beerhouse here (at least at 10 Birchall St) from before 1855, when the premises were run by Elias Forster, who was a beer retailer and brewer. Some time between 1900 and 1904 the name White Swan appears in the directories and also is recorded as being at both 10 Birchall St and 276 Bradford St. This makes me think that this was when the pub in the photograph was built. Also the shape and size is completely different on the 1910 map to the 1889 co one.
Near to the pub there is a modern building, Bradford house, and a smaller area between (view 11). In 1889 almost the whole of the block, apart from the pub and a few buildings around it, was a large factory, the Patent Enamel Co Ltd, who made enamel signs. Later it seems to have been reduced slightly in size and used to draw brass wire. By the time of the picture the site housed a number of firms.
On the opposite side of the road, at the junction with Rea St was the Birchfield Filtration Co (view 15) . Around 1900 a large part of the site was occupied by Thomas Harris, who made perambulators (giant buggies to our younger members)
Further along the street, adjoining Lower Sherlock St, was Central Body Repairs and the Mitre Garage (view 18). I’m not sure if the two were part of the same firm. The rather magnificent building occupied by Mitre, seen better in the second picture (view 19) , had been the home of The City & District Butchers’ Hide, Skin, Fat and Wool Co.Ltd since about 1895, but with the development of the markets had been adapted to other uses. Just to the right was the Birmingham Arms pub.

10A__White_Swan2Cnos_10_Birchall_St2C276_bradford_St_.jpg

11A__Bradford_house__286-292_Bradford_St_.jpg

15A__No_44_Bradford_St_.jpg

18A__Nos_31-36_Bradford_St_.jpg

19A__No_31_Bradford_St_.jpg

One pub that is still with us (I hope) is the Anchor in Bradford St, an excellent history of it and the area is at their website https://www.anchorinndigbeth.co.uk/history.htm .
Here is a picture of the twentieth century pub (view 21), rather different from the 1901 picture on the website.
Further down Rea St, on the corner of Moseley St , was Bob’s Café (view 25), previously Bradley’s Café. In 1944 it was run by Mrs Alice Bradley, and described as coffee rooms, though I’m a bit dubious as to the availability of coffee in 1944.. Coffee rooms was how it had been described, under different owners, for 40 years, but previous to that it was occupied by a boot & shoe manufacturer. The original use around 1880, however seems to have been as refreshment rooms.
Next to the Café are two houses of which no information is available (view 26), though the Boulton family occupied no. 233, next to the café, for the first half of the 20th century, 234 having a number of different occupants.
The back, in Cheapside, of Harrison (Birmingham ) Ltd, manufacturer of small hardware (view 34), the sort of company which once might have been described as a typical Birmingham firm. Prior to the first war a number of firms occupied the site, including Joseph Fitter, who made the screws to fit on music stools to adjust height and similar things. Also there was George Baker Birch, brassfounder.
F.A,Weston, 26 Birchall St, in 1912 a repository for Marks and Spencers. The White Swan can just be seen in the distance on the right (view 9).

21A__Anchor_Inn2C_corner_Bradford_St_Rea_St_.jpg

25A__Bobs_cafe_232_Rea_st__corner_moseley_st.jpg

26A__moseley_st___north_side_near_rea_st~0.jpg

34A__Harrisons__Cheapside__corner_lombard_st.jpg

9A__F_A_Weston_26_Birchall_St.jpg

Cracking photos Mike, I worked at Harrisons in the early 80s, just before it all changed completely, In that modern building just before the White Swan,the cast of 'Crossroads' did rehearsals, and they used to go for a drink in the pub afterwards, I met quite a few of the cast, thanks for the memories, much appreciated.

On the corner of Moseley St and Birchall St was the Dog & Partridge View 31). A short history is at https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/birchallstreet.htm ,from which i gather it is now the rather unoriginal Market Tavern.
Two pictures of the buildings nos 213-216 Moseley street, next to the Dog (Views 28& 29). These, from their windows, are probably original . They have had a number of uses . Next to the pub, in 1872 was Francis Lucas, painter.. though presumably not the “Welsh primitive” painter who, it seems, spent most of his life in Montgomery. Fender makers, metal piercers and bolt manufacturers all worked here. Number 216, the end house, around 1870 was occupied by Henry Prince , a clock dial maker, while 215 was, for most of the time pre 1940 a coffee rooms, or around 1880 under Thomas Rock, a coffee tavern.
With only Birchall street separating it from the “Dog & Partridge” it is perhaps appropriate that 202-208 Moseley street is occupied by the PDSA salvage dept (View 30). This was only there frfom about the mid 1950s. The corner plot (no 201) from before 1868 to about 1908 was occupied by William Shammon, whip & harness makers, and for a time it was a millers, The Midland Flour Co, and also the home of the British Wheat Salts Co, who made baking chemicals, hence the remains of the painted advert on the wall. Most of the remainder seems to have been William Tonks, brassfounders from about 1868 to at least the 1970s. In later years it was known as the Star Works.
Picture looking down Rea St towards The Royal Oak, which can just be seen on the right.(View 22). The building possibly then empty, seems to have been The Admiralty Naval Ordnance Inspection, Radiological & Spectrographic Depts., whose main entrance was in Cheapside.

31A_Dog___Partridge2C_corner_moseley_St_and_birchall_St~0.jpg

28A_214_Moseley_St_.jpg

29A_213-214_Moseley_St_.jpg

30_C_202-208_moseley_st__PDSA_Salvage_dept_.jpg

22A__Rea_st_Admiralty_Naval_Ordnance_Inspection_Dept__prob.jpg

Back