• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lodge Rd Hockley (the Flat)

HI PATTY ;
Many thanks for your thread telling us it was your shop;
i am sorry to hear that you have not got a picture of your shop as i am sure our members would like to have seen it ; but how ever in my case i do not need to see it as i have great memorys and vision of it
as i have stood in that door way many many times snocking many a girl from that park rd and lodge rd area
such great memory,s and that door way was never draughtie like most of them along there
i will not mention any nams from the streets for reasons being ;
great door way ,great memorys ;
have a nice day best wishes Astonian ;;

No it was always called Mytonns I am sure because I used to do Mrs Mytonns hair, she used to live in a big house in Hampstead rd. Lyn there was a boutique next to me cant think of the name but a girl called pat and her mom owned it, that was on the left but we were at the bottom end going to park lane or road

thanks patty..the shop i am on about was pretty well done lodge road so it could have been the one...it was a long time ago but if memory serves me the door to the shop was on the left as you looked at it. the window being on the right......the twin set i bought was yellow.....

happy days...

lyn

I remember the Flat very well, my mom worked in Park Road at a small firm called Charles Harris, I was still at school and if she saw a dress or something that she thought would suit me, I would meet her either at lunch time or when she finished work, one of the shops was Glarrys which is on one of the photos, another was Sally Anne, another nice little shop wasn't on the Flat but on the No.8 route, from memory it was in a sort of dip near the corner leading to the Flat, when I was at work I still went to the Flat occasionally with mom where we went to those shops, mom bought a lot of dresses from them. In the late 70s until the mid 80s I worked in Norton Street off Park Road, and would drive along the Flat, but it was dying then.

hi sylvia ;
my dad worked there at charles haris all is life on the flat and when he died they looked after my mother
and us kids charls came from the same village as my mother and her parents
it was a very dirty envoiroment to work in he was a bakelite moulder there
so your mother would have known my father bill is christian name;
i used to go down with my mom and asked dad for money to get the shopping
he was always just inside the entrance
when i got knocked down by a car in the very erly fifties some guys sent me a couple of games and the gather charli sent me the biggest jaffa i had ever seen it was a whopper
its a small world ain,t it sylv; so my dad would have known your mom
best wishes Astonian ;;;

Hi Astonian, I think we have mentioned it before that your dad and my mom worked at Charles Harris, my mother always referred to the boss as Carl.
I don't know the exact years she worked there but from about 1950/1 until 1960 when she retired, but went back part time for a while, it was certainly a dirty place she was on a machine trimming the edges off castors made of bakelite I think. I can remember two of her workmates, Clara and Mabel,
who sometimes visited us at home.

HI SYLVIA;
yes thats correct my dad did work along side your mom ;
and carl being a family friend my dad died there in the march of 30 1958
and the work force gave a ery generous collection for him to our famiy and to my moher
best wishes ASTONIAN;

Does anyone know if there are any photos of Park Road or Abbey Street on any site? My family lived in Park Road ( till early/mid 50's ) and Abbey Street (just after WW11) DJRVST

type in park road in the search box at the top of the page and go to page 6 you will find a park road thread where i have poste many pics...

hope this helps..

lyn

Thank carolina, yes that was my shop but as you say before I owned it, very strange to see it thanks a lot were did you get the photo from?

See Maggs...you can still find something new on this Site !!!! Not all the oxygen has gone after all.

I know its a little late now, but the picture of the Hydraulic pub brough back memories, I purchased my first pint in there, I worked at Scribbanses accross the rd and went there in my lunch break when i was about 17 to eat my corned beef sarnies and have a pint, thanks for the memory Shera.

Frank

Thanks for sharing the photos. My nan used to live in New John Street West and also Crabtree road in the old back houses. Has anyone got any photos of Crabtree road. I remember going down the flat shopping. I remember she used to do soldering spouts onto a round base, they were little oil cans. I don't think it paid much but helped feed the family.

Thanks again tars

Stars, I would imagine that a lot of nan's and mother's had these little jobs to bring in a bit of money. There would have been plenty of this sort of work in Brum at that time. The flat has been mentioned many times, and lot's of us loved going down there shopping. For me, it has some nice memories too.

Thank you Carolina and all for your help. It is strange how when someone recalls something from years ago how it gets your own mind thinking. I remember going to my nans back house in Crabtree Rd, it would have been in the early 50s. I remember how handy my Nan was doing things like recovering a stool that had little brass studs around the edge. The other thing i remember was we always went round the back, as the front door was only for the likes of the rent man or strangers. This was the best room. My nan would always know if we crept in there as the floorboards would creek and groan which would cause the china cabinet to rattle the glassware
This would be followed by a load voice shouting "Come on out of there" My goodness i can still hear her. Doing my family Tree has given me a great insight into how my relatives lived and the hard times aswell as the good
they endured. Also having a web site like birmingham History is a fantastic help. There are lots of people on here, only to willing to lend a hand and help you. I know in the name of progress things must move on, but do you not think we should have been a little more careful. We have knocked down some beautiful buildings, and i think surely some could have been saved. It is when you are reading peoples comments that you realise what we have lost. All the best Stars

Hi Patty, I remember DuBarrys so well! My Mom always had her wash and set at your shop in the 60`s.Do you recall Georges Cafe? What great times myself and our gang had in there. TANNER FOR THE JUKE BOX AND WE WELL HAPPY.

It was late 60's when I had the shop till perhaps 73/74, there was a boutique next door run by a girl called Pat, and her mother. I didn't get time to go into the cafe was always busy. What was your moms name???

HI STARS
Where does your family name of stevens hail from you are trying to trace
as i come from a family named stevens i would very much be intrested to learn
we may not have he same tree thou ; but i am very curiuos and one never knows
best wishes astonian

Hi Astonian
The stevens comes from Isle of Wight abt 1818 then to Brighton, Sussex. Until my grandparents moved to Brougham st, Birmingham in abt 1935. The
trail runs dry on the Isle of Wight with Alfred Stevens & Julia Bradley. I have these on Census forms, but i can't find a Marrage Cert for them. I have been in touch with The Isle of Wight
council, but no good. So i don't know if they were married or not. I have tried everything i can think of. My Mothers side is the greatrex family who come from the Aston area,
New John Street West. Please tell me you are a relative and have solved the elusive Alfred Stevens from Isle Of Wight, Ha Ha. Let me know if there is any connection.

Take care Stars ( Eric)

HI STARS ;
Nice to hear from you so soon at this stage i can only tell you yes my stevens are from aston;
and on the subject of alfred ; i may soon as some possible answer to alfred i have been told of some thnk about a alfred but i have got to check it out but soon as i can find out i will contact you and i beleive there was an isle of white association ; but do not build your hopes up just yet
as i myself are only just beginning to research my family of the stevens ; as i have said i am a stevens myself;
as i have been concertrating for a long time on my mothers family the jelfs but now i am tracing the stevens family whom one was my fathers
surname ; speak soon astonian;

Back