• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lodge Rd Hockley (the Flat)

Hi Stars
alfred stevens went from the isle of white to a town called tewkesbury and lived in a small house just down the rd from the tewkesbury cathedreal and there is a plaque on the wall stating his name its been there for years i will try and gety the details
but you could also try the tewkesbury council as it would have beenthem whom put this plaque on the house
its sounds very much the person it stated he was from the isle of white on it as wel there could be the starting block ;
speak soon astonian

good afternoon all i was just enquiring if anybody has any old photos of lodge road hockley around 1960 please , esp of the butchers shop as it was my father in laws father and the shop next door which was my mother in laws parents cherrs for any help Ian

If you put Lodge Road into the search box there is quite a lot of information there.

W.A.Clements was my wifes Grandads butcher shop in the 1960s thanks for the fantastic photos keep them coming

sorry Carolina Hudsons was my father in laws fathers shop not WAClements , clements was my mother in laws maiden name her mother had a shop next to hudsons butchers , they have moved abroad now but i will pass all this onto them for them to look at

Thanks Astonian
I will check out with the council in Tewkesbury and let you know if i get any joy.
. I have had a good week really. With the help of Brian and Wendy, i now know where my grt Nan and Grandads grave is at KHC and then today i found my grt Gran and Grandads grave at Yardley Cemetery. These are on my moms side of the family.

all the best Stars

hi stars
i am happy to hear you have had a good week;and i wish you all the best on the replying from tewbury council; for getting the address
from them ; i only wish i could remember the name of the rd it was a little side road and the houses was tiny and in white painted exterior
and they looked so tiny it was if it was a dolls house it would have been about thre years ago when i was in tewbury
and i actualy parked out side the tiny house wher i actualy seen this plaque for myself on the out side of the house it was quite bold and
colourful and it stated his name and born in the isle of white and that he lived in this house with in the plaque
i am sure they must have a historic par of the council whom look after thesehistoric building
if need be i will travel myself in the week to get a pic of it myself for you ; i thought i may have a copy of it some where in my data base
i will get my son to coss check to see if he can find a old copy of it on my old forum pages ;
because we did have a guy whom did tell me and send down a copy of it on the forum about four years ago so it would have been some where within the forum records that jim may possible have ; when all the data from the previous owners handed over to jim;
but the only other person whom would have had a copy is a banned member whom named was cromwell;
whom orinionaly sent me the picture and info; on it when i asked about the start o f the stevens history;
any way i wish you the best i do not know whether or not if you try google for the towns history and may be it will show up there
for all to see ; still wait and see ; also after talking with you there was a stevens member whom way back in the early nineteen hundred
lived on gerrard st aston whom i can recall vaguely was found dead and that was in the libary no one was accused or charged but i cannot think of the christian name but i have a bit of history on this street fom family history i have been told by an aunt many years ago ;
i have yet to start on my family history starting from my fathers side as the grand mother was a bit of a character with bussiness men apparently
she had a couple o marriges still please let us know of any feed back from tewkbury hitoric society which i think you will need to contact
best wishes astonian

sorry Carolina Hudsons was my father in laws fathers shop not WAClements , clements was my mother in laws maiden name her mother had a shop next to hudsons butchers , they have moved abroad now but i will pass all this onto them for them to look at

Smithyif, just reread your text and John must be your father??

Hi Astonian
Thanks for the info, it would be nice to get a photo of the plaque. As i said i located 2 graves of my grt grandparent. When i went to Key Hill i thought i would go back and tidy the grave up a bit. I was wondering
what was the best cleaner to use, if perhaps yourself or Brian, Wendy, could advise me, as i would like to clean it up a bit. Sorry to be a pain but also i need to go to the library to look up Bert R Greatrex Born 1918 and died
in 1924 aged 5. Have you any idea where are the nearest disabled parking spots are, as i am not to good on my feet.

Many thanks Stars

Hi Astonian
Thanks for the info, it would be nice to get a photo of the plaque. As i said i located 2 graves of my grt grandparent. When i went to Key Hill i thought i would go back and tidy the grave up a bit. I was wondering
what was the best cleaner to use, if perhaps yourself or Brian, Wendy, could advise me, as i would like to clean it up a bit. Sorry to be a pain but also i need to go to the library to look up Bert R Greatrex Born 1918 and died
in 1924 aged 5. Have you any idea where are the nearest disabled parking spots are, as i am not to good on my feet.

Many thanks Stars
Greatrex was on Heir Hunters today which was a repeat.

Maiden name was Taylor. He did recall that he asked me when we were sweet 16 to go and see Neil Diamond with him but I turned him down.
icon9.png
We went to All Saints School and there are photos of us in a school play on Friends Reunited.

Hi carolina
Yes it was a repeat from nearly 2 years ago regarding my uncle.

all the best stars

Hi Stars, just read about the cleaning bit - you have to be careful not to cause too much wear & tear - future generations will want to see and read it!
I use a nylon bristled brush (a small one x saucepans & a medium one x floor) and Fairy Liquid, washed over with water.

And a fair bit of the old magic Elbow Grease!

Brian

Hi Brian
Thanks for the info, yes i understand what you mean regarding wear and tear.

thanks again stars

HI CAROL
Do you ever recall any other names from around there ;
such as the peters family ; the fishers ; or the cotterils familys or may be the betts ;
they are old friends of mine ;from way back in time ;
best wishes alan ; astonian

Alan, I think there was a Cotterill in Ford Street and there was a Miss Fisher at Hockley Pentecostal Church?? Carol

Terry thanks for that I will print it out and read it. I signed the pledge there but I think I forgot about it when I reached 18. :angel:

I bought my wife's first engagement ring from a little jewelery shop nearly forty years ago.
i have just replaced it where else but the jewelery quarter,paid a tenner for it all them years ago.
just a little bit dearer this time round. dereklcg

Awww Derek how lovely I hope it was a lovely day for you both. We bought our wedding rings from The Quarter 37 years ago....hmm now I might ask for an updated version...lol

Thank Wendy,thats a nice story as well.
nice to here from you hope you and your's are well,
best wishes Derek xx

Hi Derek this thread has evoked so many memories. My mother and uncle (her brother) used to go to a pub in Lichfield called The Duke Of Wellington every Saturday night in the early 70's. Their friends Harry and Doris ran the pub. We used to call in sometimes and join them the clientèle was very mixed. My uncle was friendly with a chap who was something to do with Aston Villa who would arrive at the pub in his Rolls Royce. One Saturday my uncle told him Michael and I were getting married. He asked if we had bought our rings to which we said no. He gave us the name of a place to go in the Jewellery Quarter and said "tell them I sent you". We did and got a fair deal from what I remember. We married in 1974 and I still have my ring sadly Michael's was stolen in a burglary we suffered in the 80's. I do wish I could remember the man's name from the Villa!
Thanks for the thread Derek hope you and yours are well too Wendy..x

Back