• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Life in Birmingham during WW1

terry carter

Birmingham Pals
I am starting research about life on the home front in Birmingham during WW1. I will be covering recruitment, training, casualties, munitions, military hospitals etc.

I do have a copy of the 1921 book " Birmingham in the Great War", but, I want to elaborate more and use more pictures.

And that is what I need most.

If any forum member thinks they may have an interesting picture or story concerning life in Birmingham during WW1, please get in touch.

I must add I cannot offer any reward apart from my thanks and a mention in a possible publication that hopefully will be the end result.

Thanks

Terry

I have a lovely photo of my GGGrandad in his st John's ambulance uniform. Taken around 1914-18 . He was about 60 then. Sorry I don't know much about the St John's or the work they did in Birmingham at the time.

Attachments

• Thomas Bourne snr.jpg
    Thomas Bourne snr.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
It is a lovely photo, I have one of my Grandad in uniform but it's very fuzzy. I think my cousin said he was in the "Specials"? I must try to find out more!! I do know he had a truncheon, and wore a leather brace on his leg from an injury by a horse.
rosie.

Here's the photo
Scan-14.jpg
, it is a scan of a fuzzy copy!
rosie.

That's an interesting uniform Rosie, especially the assymetric style of buttoning. Looks like it might be something quite specific.

I have since found out that the St John's Ambulance drivers would have met the trains in Birmingham at the specified stations for returning wounded soldiers and transported them to hospitals and medical centres in the area. They would also have ferried nurses and medical staff around as required.

I have two button hole badges which say on war service 1915.They have individual numbers,I assume they were issued to workers who were exempt from front line duties.

Yes, skilled workers were needed for important war work. However, at the start of the war if you were seen not to be in uniform, you was looked on as a shirker and quite often white feathers were handed out to imply cowardice.
That is why the badges were issued.

Terry

Thanks for the info Terry,on the other side of the coin I have the photo of my grand fathers brother which was displayed in the front window of the house saying "he answered his countries call "

Last edited:
I have just realised the significance of the badges,both my great grand father and grandfather worked at the Metropolitan Cammell Wagon works where first world war tanks were built..

Thanks for the info Terry,on the other side of the coin I have the photo of my grand fathers brother which was displayed in the front window of the house saying "he answered his countries call "

hello, that would be interesting to see

Regards

Terry

Hi Terry I have loaned the photo to a friend for a display.As soon s I recover it I will post it.Malcolm

Hi Terry
I have just found photos of my great grandmother and other women working at the Rudge and Whitworth cycle factory, Birmingham when it was a munitions factory ww1. There is a photo inside showing them all sat at the machinery and one outside with the workers lined up behind a couple of guns which presumably were made there.

The photo's sound wonderful brummiemummy, any chance you can post them on the forum.

Hello brummiemummy
If you would like me to include the picure for future publication. Then yes I would love to use it. Thanks for the offer.

I will send you a PM

regards

Terry

Thanks , I'll upload the photos. The inside photo is a poor quality photocopy but I have the original somehwere and will look for it if you want to use it. My g grandmother Harriet Bourne is front LH corner on inside factory photo and 6th from right back row on outside photo. Her sister Emily Needham 3rd from right back row. Their father Thomas Bourne is the chap in the St John's ambulance uniform I posted earlier. They had two brothers who fought in Royal warwickshire regiment. Benjamin was killed 1916 France and Flanders and William was awarded DCM and bar for bravery in 1918.

Hello

I see Benjamin Bourne was 44 years old when he was killed serving with the 10th Bn Royal Warwickshire Regt on 23 July 1916. He is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial to the missing of the Battle of the Somme.
I will be visiting the Somme for a weekend 15/16 March. I can take a picture of his name on the Memorial if you want. I can visit the area he was killed also

Regards

Terry

I wil be laying a wreath at the Menin Gate whilst visiting Belgium with the Ambulance Heritage Society early in May..

hello Brummiemummy

Regarding William Bourne's DCM in 1918.

here are his two citations:-

240734 Sgt (acting CSM) W Bourne

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during an enemy attack. He took command of his company when all the officers were casualties, and by his coolness and example under very heavy fire kept his men together, and rendered great assistance in repelling the enemy's attack. (28-3-18)

240734 Sgt (acting RSM) W Bourne

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during an enemy attack. He personally covered the retirement of an exposed flank with a Lewis Gun, and inflicted heavy losses on the advancing enemy. He displayed great courage and rendered fine service at a critical moment. (3-9-18) Bar

Terry

Thank you Terry that would be great if you could do that. I would really appreciate it. Can you see the photos of the factory ok? I couldn't work out how to upload it and it has come out as an attachment. I have found the better version and will upload over the weekend.

Thanks Terry.
The medals were left to his daughter May but they were stolen by a burglar from her home in Sparkbrook in 1970s when she was a pensioner. We had copies made but she never felt that it was the same.

rudge and whitworth cycles making guns.jpgrudge and whitworth cycles  munitions for ww1 003.jpgRudge and Whitworth cycle factory Birmingham ww1 turned over to munitions production. My great grandmother Harriet Bourne seated front left on inside photo and standing back row 6th from right. Her sister Emily Needham is third from right.

Brummiemummy

Fantastic pictures. I have one query though. You say they are Rudge & Whitworth. But the large group are sat behind various derivatives of the Lewis Gun. These were only made at the BSA in Small Heath.

In the workshop picture the girls are working on the manufacture of the Lewis Gun magazine that held 47 rounds of .303 ammunition.
I am sure these were only made at the BSA also. (see image below)

Regards

Terry

Attachments

• lewis gun pan magazine.jpg
    lewis gun pan magazine.jpg
    870 KB · Views: 18
There was a lot of sub-contracting in the munitions industry. For example at the Albion Works of Fisher and Ludlow in Rea Street, Deritend, they made Lewis Gun parts as well as other stuff.

Terry, I'm intrigued now.

I was going by what was written on the back of the photo with the guns. I couldn't read it at first but while googling all kinds of possible words I came up with Rudge and Whitworth. I found information on a forum about rounds of ammunition they made so perhaps they didn't make the guns, just the ammo which would not have been so impressive on the photo. I might see what else I can find out.

In 1917/1918 my mother worked as a young typist at the Law Courts in Corporation Street. Her journey to work from her home in her grandmother's house in Station Road, Knowle, was by GWR to Snow Hill.

A regular sight was that of the troop trains trundling through the station. One morning as she and a couple of her teenaged travelling companions were walking along a platform on their way to the exit, one of these trains had come to a stop. It was full of young Canadian soldiers, presumably on their way from the docks in Liverpool towards the south-east and the Channel ports. One can imagine the laughs and banter which ensued between these young people; and in the course of it the girls scribbled their names and addresses on the back of a cigarette packet and threw it through an open carriage window.

A few weeks later a letter from an unknown location in Flanders fluttered down onto the doormat of a house in Knowle, to the surprise of the youngest member of the family. My mother responded and over the following couple of months several letters were exchanged between these young people, both on the threshold of their lives. I wonder what was said and how they each viewed the future.

But one day, after several weeks of silence, her most recent letter was returned to her. It was marked "Killed in Action". And that was the end of a friendship the outcome of which might have been - well who knows?

(My mother related this little story to me about 70 years after the event. Her eyes were dry. Not so sure about my own. But that generation was tough, going through much at that time and again little more than 20 years later. And my mother did later find another soldier, one who was fortunate in receiving the sort of wound which was serious enough to get him home but not so serious as to prevent full recovery. She had over 50 years of happy, married life with him.)

Chris

Chris,
Your story brought a tear to my eye too. We really don't know we're born these days.

On the subject of correspondance my grandmother Elsie Bourne lived in Greet in Birmingham durring WW1. She was born in 1900 so was just a teenager when her Uncles went off to fight. Uncle Ben never came home and died in Flanders 1916 but Uncle Bill would write when he could and she used to look forward to his postcards. She also lost a sweetheart in the fighting but never spoke much about it so I don't know what happened. She didn't marry till 1933 as so many men never came home. My grand dad was five years her junior and too young to have been a soldier during the war.
William Bourne WW1 001.jpgWilliam Bourne ww1 002.jpgWilliam B ww1 001.jpgWilliam B ww1 002.jpgWilliam Bourne World War 1 001.jpg William Bourne left on first photo

Tremendous photos. Do you know anything more about the large group of soldiers as they are from a mixture of units including Warwicks. Benjamin Bourne is on the Bham Roll of Honour. Service number - 1906. Killed 23 July 1916. He is mentioned in the Bham Weekly Post on September 30 1916 when his mother appealed for information and October 21 1916 when Pte E Andrews recalled how they had spent the night together in a night attack on German trenches but lost sight of him so he was presumed killed or captured (presumed killed as he is named on the Thiepval Memorial). Born Sparkbrook. Was in the 10th Warwicks. Age at death - 44. Parents were Thomas and Hannah Bourne of 149, Warwick Rd, Sparkhill.

Below an account of what happened at the time of his death....

The move came on July 19 to a different place – Becourt Wood and a bivouac in a field, which was reached in the early hours. They were heading into action as a list had already been drawn up of fifteen officers and the Colonel who would be involved. On the evening of July 20 the battalion moved to trenches in the north-west corner of Mametz Wood which were difficult to find in the dark. With 56 Brigade on the left of the Divisional front 57 Brigade on their right held a line running along the road between the northern exits of Bazentin le Petit village and the north-western corner of High Wood. The right of the Brigade was about half way between the two points. The trench line here was a ‘Z’ shape and of a temporary nature as it had not been in British hands for very long. The priority for all battalions was to dig themselves in more securely. Wyrall has written…..

“…the line just north of the village (Bazentin-le-Petit) appears to have been very sketchy for, being recently captured, no definite trench system had yet been dug and the troops held the line in holes, short lengths of trench, and wherever they could dig themselves in…..Everything was smashed beyond recognition. The whole area was a mass of shell craters, and it was difficult in the extreme to recognise trenches which had been battered hopelessly” (738).

On July 21 Second Lieutenant Rainbow reconnoitred routes from Mametz Wood to the front line where the rest of 57 Brigade were established. Wyrall again……

“Some idea of the difficult nature of the line taken over by the 56[SUP]th[/SUP] and 57[SUP]th[/SUP] Brigades may be gathered from the fact that the better part of the 21[SUP]st[/SUP] was spent in locating the front line correctly” (739).

On this and the following day working parties were found; on the latter day two companies were put at the disposal of the Pioneer battalion for the Division ‘digging a trench when our troops had gone forward to the attack for them to fall back into if they were unable to hold the German line’ (740). On the evening of the same day the battalion relieved the 10/Worcs in the line ‘due to unforeseen circumstances’. They were now due to ‘go over the top’ at 12.30 a.m. on July 23 as part of III Corps attack on the strong German line Switch Line behind High Wood. However, the battalion could only get into position at 1.05 a.m. by which time the barrage had lifted. Guides from the Worcesters had not known the way and heavy shelling was taking place. The battalion now went over the top but heavy machine gun fire forced them back to their original jumping off trench. They were ordered to hold on ‘at all costs’. Wyrall believes that the last minute ‘eleventh hour relief of the 10/Worcesters and the late knowledge of the presence of a German ‘intermediate line’ “had much to do with the failure of the attack” (741). At 5 a.m. and 7 a.m. flares lit up their position and heavy German shelling followed causing many casualties.

At 9.45 a.m. on July 23 Lieutenant Colonel Albert Henderson , aged 46, (742) was killed. In 1911 Henderson was living at Ashton House, Stretton-on-Fosse, Leicestershire on ‘private means’ with his wife, Gertrude, and five servants. He was Scottish born and in 1881 was a ten year old boarder at Highbury House school, at Hastings. There were over 100 other boarders in this school for ‘ young gentlemen’ (743). His older brother, Arthur, attended the same school.

Captain Dakeyne was urgently summoned from the transport lines where presumably the reserve ‘cadre’ were based. He arrived to take command at 1.15 p.m. During the day time was spent strengthening the position in the front line. That evening a patrol had been detailed to take a German strongpoint but the whole battalion was relieved before this could take place. Back at Becourt Wood the casualties were noted for July 23 as three officers killed, six wounded and nine other ranks killed, 81 wounded and 31 missing (744).

Chris,
Your story brought a tear to my eye too. We really don't know we're born these days.

On the subject of correspondance my grandmother Elsie Bourne lived in Greet in Birmingham durring WW1. She was born in 1900 so was just a teenager when her Uncles went off to fight. Uncle Ben never came home and died in Flanders 1916 but Uncle Bill would write when he could and she used to look forward to his postcards. She also lost a sweetheart in the fighting but never spoke much about it so I don't know what happened. She didn't marry till 1933 as so many men never came home. My grand dad was five years her junior and too young to have been a soldier during the war.
View attachment 84985View attachment 84986View attachment 84987View attachment 84988View attachment 84989 William Bourne left on first photo
Fascinating photos ! Going by the variety of cap badges and the equipment on display, I'd venture to suggest those men are on a divisional machine gun course, quite early in the war too.

Back