• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Life in Birmingham during WW1

terry carter

Birmingham Pals
I am starting research about life on the home front in Birmingham during WW1. I will be covering recruitment, training, casualties, munitions, military hospitals etc.

I do have a copy of the 1921 book " Birmingham in the Great War", but, I want to elaborate more and use more pictures.

And that is what I need most.

If any forum member thinks they may have an interesting picture or story concerning life in Birmingham during WW1, please get in touch.

I must add I cannot offer any reward apart from my thanks and a mention in a possible publication that hopefully will be the end result.

Thanks

Terry

I have a lovely photo of my GGGrandad in his st John's ambulance uniform. Taken around 1914-18 . He was about 60 then. Sorry I don't know much about the St John's or the work they did in Birmingham at the time.

Attachments

• Thomas Bourne snr.jpg
    Thomas Bourne snr.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
It is a lovely photo, I have one of my Grandad in uniform but it's very fuzzy. I think my cousin said he was in the "Specials"? I must try to find out more!! I do know he had a truncheon, and wore a leather brace on his leg from an injury by a horse.
rosie.

Here's the photo
Scan-14.jpg
, it is a scan of a fuzzy copy!
rosie.

That's an interesting uniform Rosie, especially the assymetric style of buttoning. Looks like it might be something quite specific.

I have since found out that the St John's Ambulance drivers would have met the trains in Birmingham at the specified stations for returning wounded soldiers and transported them to hospitals and medical centres in the area. They would also have ferried nurses and medical staff around as required.

I have two button hole badges which say on war service 1915.They have individual numbers,I assume they were issued to workers who were exempt from front line duties.

Yes, skilled workers were needed for important war work. However, at the start of the war if you were seen not to be in uniform, you was looked on as a shirker and quite often white feathers were handed out to imply cowardice.
That is why the badges were issued.

Terry

Thanks for the info Terry,on the other side of the coin I have the photo of my grand fathers brother which was displayed in the front window of the house saying "he answered his countries call "

Last edited:
I have just realised the significance of the badges,both my great grand father and grandfather worked at the Metropolitan Cammell Wagon works where first world war tanks were built..

Thanks for the info Terry,on the other side of the coin I have the photo of my grand fathers brother which was displayed in the front window of the house saying "he answered his countries call "

hello, that would be interesting to see

Regards

Terry

Hi Terry I have loaned the photo to a friend for a display.As soon s I recover it I will post it.Malcolm

Hi Terry
I have just found photos of my great grandmother and other women working at the Rudge and Whitworth cycle factory, Birmingham when it was a munitions factory ww1. There is a photo inside showing them all sat at the machinery and one outside with the workers lined up behind a couple of guns which presumably were made there.

The photo's sound wonderful brummiemummy, any chance you can post them on the forum.

Hello brummiemummy
If you would like me to include the picure for future publication. Then yes I would love to use it. Thanks for the offer.

I will send you a PM

regards

Terry

Thanks , I'll upload the photos. The inside photo is a poor quality photocopy but I have the original somehwere and will look for it if you want to use it. My g grandmother Harriet Bourne is front LH corner on inside factory photo and 6th from right back row on outside photo. Her sister Emily Needham 3rd from right back row. Their father Thomas Bourne is the chap in the St John's ambulance uniform I posted earlier. They had two brothers who fought in Royal warwickshire regiment. Benjamin was killed 1916 France and Flanders and William was awarded DCM and bar for bravery in 1918.

Hello

I see Benjamin Bourne was 44 years old when he was killed serving with the 10th Bn Royal Warwickshire Regt on 23 July 1916. He is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial to the missing of the Battle of the Somme.
I will be visiting the Somme for a weekend 15/16 March. I can take a picture of his name on the Memorial if you want. I can visit the area he was killed also

Regards

Terry

I wil be laying a wreath at the Menin Gate whilst visiting Belgium with the Ambulance Heritage Society early in May..

hello Brummiemummy

Regarding William Bourne's DCM in 1918.

here are his two citations:-

240734 Sgt (acting CSM) W Bourne

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during an enemy attack. He took command of his company when all the officers were casualties, and by his coolness and example under very heavy fire kept his men together, and rendered great assistance in repelling the enemy's attack. (28-3-18)

240734 Sgt (acting RSM) W Bourne

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during an enemy attack. He personally covered the retirement of an exposed flank with a Lewis Gun, and inflicted heavy losses on the advancing enemy. He displayed great courage and rendered fine service at a critical moment. (3-9-18) Bar

Terry

Thank you Terry that would be great if you could do that. I would really appreciate it. Can you see the photos of the factory ok? I couldn't work out how to upload it and it has come out as an attachment. I have found the better version and will upload over the weekend.

Back