• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ley Hill Estate Northfield TV Documentary??

mysterymermaid

Mermaid from Brum!
some years ago there was a documentary made and The Ley Hill Estate was featured in it, does anyone remember it, I am trying to find a copy of it??

Re: Ley Hill Estae Northfield TV Documentary??

Hi, I don't remember the programme but I used to live there in the early 60's, would likr to get in touch with anyone who may remember me.

Phill Bridgewater we used to live a No.2 Bradwell House Ley Hill Farm Road.

God bless

Hi, I don't remember the programme but I used to live there in the early 60's, would likr to get in touch with anyone who may remember me.

Phill Bridgewater we used to live a No.2 Bradwell House Ley Hill Farm Road.

God bless

I used to live in one of the other blocks, I am still in touch with a few that used to live in nBradwell House including Diane Pullen, Sandria Hill and Carole Mullis, I have some photo's took in the play area that someone sent me for my forum, unfortunatly they have just been transfered off my old machine on to a server, when I get the server installed here I will post them for you.

I just came across this post about Ley Hill Estate, as a Newbie who only joined this year. I lived in Ley Hill Farm Road from 1954 to 1962 at no. 146. It was in a block of six close to the junction with Rhayader Road, I went to the school there. I remember playing down by the brook, and the Holloway, and going to the shops by the Beeches Pub at the bottom of Hoggs Lane and walking to Northfield Swimming Baths. Happy Days.

I moved there in 1956 and also attended Ley Hill Primary, you must have lived by Kevin Pike and Barry Stansfield?

Did they live in the Maisonettes, we lived in the 3, bedroomed houses, I vaguely remember the name Pike.My neighbours were, Masons, Palmers, Matthews, Jeyes, Biddles

So you must have lived opposite the Hopes, Susan was my age think she had a brother? The Biddles I remember they had relations in Appleton House, Michael Matthews married my friend Carole, she moved from Bradwell House to not far away from you when her mom had twin boys.

Yes i remember the Hopes, Iwas best friends with Michaels younger brother Chris.

Hello June,no luck on the documentary then.
As you know I lived there 5/133 right on the horseshoe bend,our garden backed on to the school playground,handy for just throwing the kids over the fence ha,ha.
People I remember, Rustons,Harris's, Joe Allport who worked at the waterworks as a welder.

That's not the one about the children who were eventually moved when the houses were condemned is it - and then there was a follow up about 18 months ago, as a 10 years on, showing how they had got on? Am racking my brains for the name of it, but I think my friend will know, she knew one of the girls, will ask on Monday when I am back at work - unless I remember it before.
Sue

AMAZING! ... Cllr John Lines says "The Police didn't like coming out to the Estate." As a former Ambulanceman, with Ley Hill on his patch, I can tell you that we were wary of the area at night! I haven't been there in 12 years so this was a shock. Still, lets hope it's for the better for residents.

Didn't realise you were an ambulance man Pete, when I trained, the Bristol Road station used to cover Ley Hill too and they didn't like going out there, that would have been 30 years ago or best part of.Are you the one who writes into the Herald too, I love your letters if you are and sorry I mistook you for BikerAl.
Hadn't seen that documentary before, interesting to see, the one I thought it would be told the story of a family living in slum conditions, sure her name was Kelly, but can't see anything about it, there was a follow up too.

Sistersue61 ... Yes, guilty! I joined the 'old' Met Amb just as it became WMAS, and before the Ackers shambles. I worked Outpatients & Clinic from Henrietta St for years. As such I had a roving commission during non-allocated runs. I was then tied in to contracted user units, thence to A&E at Coventry and Monyhull. It was normal for some overlapping to take place, as Ambulances were used whenever/wherever they were. With the major hospitals in the City Centre, it was usual for us to be diverted to calls off our 'patch' when returning to base. Thus Ley Hill was a regular area.
It was generally ok, but the Alcohol/Drug related crime made you wary. There were other places worse ....
Sorry I didn't have much time at the Meet, but I had to rush off to deal with floods as part of my local work as a Councillor.
When one has worked/lived amongst the poor, disabled and disadvantaged, and is confronted with Corporate Bullying and Political corruption, one tends to get a bit 'peeved', and as I used to write for the HERALD 40 years ago, I still fire off the 'odd' letter or two........

Pete, please keep firing them off, I really enjoy them!! Guess the flooding could be imminent again with this rain, the flood plains were under on the old A5 when I went to work yesterday morning,and mom and dad couldn't walk into town along the "black path", they had to go over the wooden bridge by the Snowdome, as the lower path was under water, lets hope it stays put for a while so people can have a good Xmas!
Hope to see you at the next meet,
Sue

There appears to be quite a few ex ambulance staff on this forum.I was at Bristol Road station for 33 years before moving to Monyhull for my final 12 years of service.The Ley Hill Estate was rough and at times dangerous but not any more so than other areas of the city.

Hallo 205 mal.
I was with Cheshire/Mersey Region ambulance for 18 years.
Once, in the mid-80s, I had cause to refuel at Bristol Rd and met my cousin there. He was a mechanic called David Trimble, did you ever come across him ?

I see DT on a regular basis,he is part of our ambulance preservation group.Without doubt one of the best mechanics I have ever met

205 Mal ... Tomlinson ? Dave Trimble is retired now ? I had Sam the Hammer......

The 205 refers to ambulance 205 which we have restored and is now in the care of the ambulance heritage society to which both Trimble and myself belong.I well remember Sam,he could adjust a set of points with a lump hammer.Malcolm T

What breed of ambulance is 205 Mal ?

Not one of those rotten Renaults I hope !

205 coa 123 c is a J1 bedford 1965 vintage which was based at Moseley Road Fire station and Bristol Road .It was then adapted for use in civil disturbances. we restored it in 1993 and it has visited Germany on a number of occasions ans still contains its original kit

Back