• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lewis's Department Store

Believe it or not, I too enjoyed Colin's post, as I did the others on the topic. I find all personal accounts interesting.

Yes Sue, Lewis's definitely had those lifts (Grays may have had them too but I didn't frequent that store as often). Dunno about the lift operators injuring themselves operating the doors, from my recollections most already had some disability that how they came to be employed in such meanial jobs.
I know that this is an old post, but I thought it worthwhile replying, to put the record straight. I used to have a Saturday job at Lewis's. I started on the pork pie and sausage counter, and went on to the shellfish and sliced turkey counter. I then had a 'promotion' to the lifts. I can't remember why, but I was the only part-timer lift operator, and the only one without some sort of disability. The lift was operated by a lever that controlled up and down, and a floor button that operated the doors. The doors were not manual. The skill was to get the lift level with the floor, without a step. Also, remembering the patter ("first floor - curtain material, paper patterns, second floor...etc"). We were not supposed to take staff in the customer s lift. They had their own. But, for the price of a prawn sandwich from the ladies from the food hall. I broke the rules. Happy days.

Ooooh yes. I think it was the China Garden (although it might have been ‘House’). Always had chips and curry sauce in there. All the seating was low level, not a formal eating place. Lots of students used it as it was cheap. Viv.

Hi Viv & Morturn,

Ah yes, remember the China Garden very well chicken & chips after a few beers, magic! Do you remember the chuck wagon that used to park up on the corner by Snow Hill station? Always good for a bite to eat whilst waiting for the night service bus home; that's of course if you missed either the hot dog / burger van or the potato sellers (a cone of small spuds with a dash of salt mmm).

Lozellian.

Yes, I remember the 'tea' wagon as a friend used to call it. Good place for visiting after you'd been to a club!

We always called the wagon the “nose picker” Sorry folks !

Re the Colmore underpass/subway, here are some photos. The China Garden was off to the right in all photos and I think the Brown Derby pub entrance was on that side too. Always a very cold and draughty place, cool in summer too. Viv.
43ADFB70-E6B8-4DA4-BACA-ED2BCFB7422D.jpeg63F0F799-D11F-4FAA-833A-0E41326B3CB5.jpegC140F3B1-2C00-49C3-88BD-8C5014B002E9.jpeg

If you have not already seen them, the aerial images below might interest you.
Lewis's from the east in 1950. Corporation St on the left.
View attachment 129825

Another view which brings back a few memories for me. It was taken in 1951 and shows members of the public on the roof. In the early 1950s we used to go to town on Saturday mornings and most times went on the roof.
View attachment 129826
images source 'britainfromabove'
I had not seen these before, so thank you. The first picture shows the area north of Lewis’s as ripe for development, so no wonder the company was allowed to expand that way. Thank you also for the reference to Britain From Above. I was not aware of this treasure house of old photos.

A night view of Colmore Circus and the goods entrance to Lewis's (mentioned in #714) open with vehicles inside.
NightviewColmoreCircus.jpg

A night view of Colmore Circus and the goods entrance to Lewis's (mentioned in #714) open with vehicles inside.
View attachment 129878
Yes, your new photo shows the goods entrance at the north end of Lewis’s very clearly, but it also shows the staircases which presumably led down from the upper floors of the store to roadway level and on down to the pedestrian subway level.

Just replying to the post regarding the 1960’s extension to Lewis’s store. I Believe it was commenced in 1962 and completed in 1964/5. The building did only extend as far as the vehicle exit doors shown in the earlier picture of Colmore Circus. I think the building behind the bus in oldMohawks post was separate. There was a “Goods In” entrance in the curved section of the original building in Old Square and I suspect the loading and unloading docks lined the ground floor of the new building with the vehicle exit via the doors on Colmore Circus. I seem to recall the staircase may have gone to down to a staff entrance. A 1965 report describes the building as adding 28,000 square feet of selling space. I have an interest in the history and architecture of the Lewis’s stores in general, so have enjoyed reading this thread.

Remember going there on late Saturday afternoons to get cottage cheese in the 1950s/60s. That and a lovely crusty loaf from the bread section. What a delicious joy it was ! Viv.
i used to love the free samples of cheese
We used to go to Greys Christmas Grotto - I think Mr Holly was in that one rather than Lewis's.
never did find out who this uncle harry bloke was

Just replying to the post regarding the 1960’s extension to Lewis’s store. I Believe it was commenced in 1962 and completed in 1964/5. The building did only extend as far as the vehicle exit doors shown in the earlier picture of Colmore Circus. I think the building behind the bus in oldMohawks post was separate. There was a “Goods In” entrance in the curved section of the original building in Old Square and I suspect the loading and unloading docks lined the ground floor of the new building with the vehicle exit via the doors on Colmore Circus. I seem to recall the staircase may have gone to down to a staff entrance. A 1965 report describes the building as adding 28,000 square feet of selling space. I have an interest in the history and architecture of the Lewis’s stores in general, so have enjoyed reading this thread.

Now that the 1960’s extension has been confirmed, here is my understanding of the Birmingham Lewis’s timeline. Any additions or corrections will be welcomed.
Lewis’s in Birmingham – Timeline
1878 Work on the new Corporation Street begins.
1883 David Lewis opens a tea warehouse at 48 New Street.
1885 David Lewis leases 850 square yards of land from the Corporation on corner of Bull Street and Corporation Street and the new store opens on 22 September.
1906 Lewis’s acquires the buildings of neighbouring store Berrill’s.
1914 Lewis’s acquires the buildings of neighbouring store Liberty’s.
1917 Lewis’s acquires the buildings of neighbouring store Street’s.
1924 G de C has a resident representative, David Lumsden, at Temple Row, next to the Minories. 1924-25 G de C rebuilds Lewis’s No.1 Building in Classical block style.
1926 Lewis’s acquires the buildings of neighbouring store Newbury’s on the north side of the Minories.
1929 Dispute with the Council about whether Lewis’s can build two bridges over the Minories.
1930 The Society of Friends agreed boundary changes in Bull Street.
1931-32 G de C rebuilds Lewis’s No.2 Building, north of the Minories, to match the No.1 Building. Lewis’s now has the whole island block.
1935 David Lumsden’s association with G de C ends
1936 G de C writes “a further extension of the No.2 Building is about to begin.”
1961 Lewis’s announce extensions to their Birmingham store as part of Colmore Circus development. The architects were G de C Fraser Son and Gearey.
1971 Minories built over (says Pevsner).
1991 Lewis’s goes into administration and the Birmingham stores closes. The buildings are renamed Temple Court and Priory Court, either side of the Minories Shopping parade. Priory Court is mostly let to Birmingham Magistrates' Court which has a lease to 2034.
1993 Conversion to offices and Courtrooms. Minories reopened and glazed in.
2014 Legal & General Property acquire the buildings for £87.5 million.
2017 Plans are announced for a wholesale revamp of the Temple Court side which is renamed the Lewis Building (sic). The renovation will provide 114,000 sq ft of superior office accommodation.

There does seem to be an everlasting fondness amongst Brummies for what was their premier department store.

Such was it's prominence that it became a metaphor for quite a few Brummie sayings: For a lucky person... If he fell off the top of Lewis's, he'd drop into a new suit. When p'd off... Well I might as well go and throw meself off the top of Lewis's (and quite a few did). For somebody hard to find... He's like s***e from a wooden rocking horse in Lewis's.

There is quite a lot more about Lewis's on this forum; try this for a start:
https://forums.bhwr.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1460&highlight=lewiss

"He is so lucky, if he stepped of the top of Lewis's, he'd go straight UP!"

These stories trigger so many memories- a very dear auntie of mine - Hannah Murphy, worked in the restaurant on the upper floor, clearing tables etc in the 50's- we used to go up to see her when times were very hard for us- my father had left us and was expected to pay weekly maintenance via the Court- we had to wait around until 12.00pm to see if it had arrived - we were frequently disappointed and mum would take us to the basement to get some free samples as we had often not eaten for a day or so- then up to see auntie Hannah who would give us what she could before going to the roof for a play- I remember the sadness and hunger but most vividly the kindness of those who doled out the samples and dear auntie Hannah's enduring gentleness and kindness- nothing but fond memories of Lewis's

welcome lesley...so nice that you have good memories of the lewis building in what was obviously difficult times for your mom...enjoy the forum and keep the memories coming:)

lyn

Now that the 1960’s extension has been confirmed, here is my understanding of the Birmingham Lewis’s timeline. Any additions or corrections will be welcomed.
Lewis’s in Birmingham – Timeline
1878 Work on the new Corporation Street begins.
1883 David Lewis opens a tea warehouse at 48 New Street.
1885 David Lewis leases 850 square yards of land from the Corporation on corner of Bull Street and Corporation Street and the new store opens on 22 September.
1906 Lewis’s acquires the buildings of neighbouring store Berrill’s.
1914 Lewis’s acquires the buildings of neighbouring store Liberty’s.
1917 Lewis’s acquires the buildings of neighbouring store Street’s.
1924 G de C has a resident representative, David Lumsden, at Temple Row, next to the Minories. 1924-25 G de C rebuilds Lewis’s No.1 Building in Classical block style.
1926 Lewis’s acquires the buildings of neighbouring store Newbury’s on the north side of the Minories.
1929 Dispute with the Council about whether Lewis’s can build two bridges over the Minories.
1930 The Society of Friends agreed boundary changes in Bull Street.
1931-32 G de C rebuilds Lewis’s No.2 Building, north of the Minories, to match the No.1 Building. Lewis’s now has the whole island block.
1935 David Lumsden’s association with G de C ends
1936 G de C writes “a further extension of the No.2 Building is about to begin.”
1961 Lewis’s announce extensions to their Birmingham store as part of Colmore Circus development. The architects were G de C Fraser Son and Gearey.
1971 Minories built over (says Pevsner).
1991 Lewis’s goes into administration and the Birmingham stores closes. The buildings are renamed Temple Court and Priory Court, either side of the Minories Shopping parade. Priory Court is mostly let to Birmingham Magistrates' Court which has a lease to 2034.
1993 Conversion to offices and Courtrooms. Minories reopened and glazed in.
2014 Legal & General Property acquire the buildings for £87.5 million.
2017 Plans are announced for a wholesale revamp of the Temple Court side which is renamed the Lewis Building (sic). The renovation will provide 114,000 sq ft of superior office accommodation.

I thought you might be interested in this photograph which I believe shows the building of the 1920's building from the corner of Corporation Street and Bull Street. Also I think the building shown in the Colmore Circus photographs, above, to the right of Lewis's vehicle exit was called Doctor Johnson House.

Attachments

• 1920's rebuilding.jpg
    1920's rebuilding.jpg
    930.5 KB · Views: 50
These stories trigger so many memories- a very dear auntie of mine - Hannah Murphy, worked in the restaurant on the upper floor, clearing tables etc in the 50's- we used to go up to see her when times were very hard for us- my father had left us and was expected to pay weekly maintenance via the Court- we had to wait around until 12.00pm to see if it had arrived - we were frequently disappointed and mum would take us to the basement to get some free samples as we had often not eaten for a day or so- then up to see auntie Hannah who would give us what she could before going to the roof for a play- I remember the sadness and hunger but most vividly the kindness of those who doled out the samples and dear auntie Hannah's enduring gentleness and kindness- nothing but fond memories of Lewis's

I have these pictures from a 1950's Lewis's booklet, which may be of interest.

Attachments

• 1950s brochure0001.jpg
    1950s brochure0001.jpg
    960.9 KB · Views: 62
Welcome Staffodian. Love the interior photos. The repro furniture looks like the stuff we had in our ‘front room’ only to be replaced in 1960s by more modern, bright and lighter wood pieces. And how lovely to be able to see chicks hatching. Are there any more images in your booklet ? Viv.

Welcome Staffodian. Love the interior photos. The repro furniture looks like the stuff we had in our ‘front room’ only to be replaced in 1960s by more modern, bright and lighter wood pieces. And how lovely to be able to see chicks hatching. Are there any more images in your booklet ? Viv.

Thank you for the welcome. This is a fascinating site. Sadly the booklet only has one other photo which is an aerial view of the store similar to the ones above. I will see if I have any other interior photos in my collection. They do seem quite rare.

Looking at the pictures in the brochure of the ladies hairdressers, am I correct in saying there was a men' s barber shop as well? I seem to recall going there a couple of times and was fascinated by a chap having a face massage. After having been shaved some sort of lubricant was rubbed onto his face and the barber took what looked like an electric drill with a small rubber cup on the end and proceeded to massage his face. This was the first time I had ever seen this and have not seen it since but I can't remember whether it was in Lewis's or Rackhams.

There was also a children's hairdressing salon. It had wooden animals which, as far. as I remember, were the seats.
I never went in there, although I wanted to.

Looking at the pictures in the brochure of the ladies hairdressers, am I correct in saying there was a men' s barber shop as well? I seem to recall going there a couple of times and was fascinated by a chap having a face massage. After having been shaved some sort of lubricant was rubbed onto his face and the barber took what looked like an electric drill with a small rubber cup on the end and proceeded to massage his face. This was the first time I had ever seen this and have not seen it since but I can't remember whether it was in Lewis's or Rackhams.

This is a picture of Lewis's Barber shop.

Attachments

• barber shop0001.jpg
    barber shop0001.jpg
    501.7 KB · Views: 39
As mentioned earlier, when my grandfather Gerald de Courcy Fraser was designing the Owen Owen store in Coventry, there was an acrimonious exchange of letters with various officials in Coventry. On 21 August 1936 he wrote to the City Engineer, talking about his experiences in building the Birmingham Lewis’s. The City Engineer had been saying that G de C’s plans for the foundations of the new building in Coventry were not good enough, and G de C is replying here, “Oh yes they are, look what I did at Lewis’s in Birmingham.” He calls the 1924-25 work the No.1 Building, and the 1931-32 part beyond the Minories is called the No.2 Building. So in the middle of this letter we have:

View attachment 129188View attachment 129189View attachment 129189

Now my question for the forum is: What is this “further extension” which is about to begin in 1936?

I have been thinking about your question posed above. I noticed that the photographs linked to the thread from Pinterest of the rebuilding work show that the Bull Street frontage of the "B Block" is initially not symmetrical. One of the photos shows a another store abutting this section with what appears to be a closing down sale sign - possibly called Cooks? Subsequently this frontage is shown as symmetrical and I wonder if this was the final part of the redevelopment?

It's surprising Lewis's has not been mentioned much before. I thought it was the principal department store in Brum, certainly bigger than Grey's opposite in Bull Street, and others like snooty Rackham's and the Beehive tucked away in Albert Street were far smaller.
Lewis's was enormous, in two halves separated by the Minories, the only road I remember in Birmingham which had rubber setts to reduce noise. There were basements on either side, which were connected by two or three passages beneath the Minories. The basements were the most interesting part of the store, where the groceries and the fresh fish were sold - what a wonderful smell - I can still remember it! The cosmetics and the haberdashery were on the ground floor and (having checked from a photograph) I can confidently say there were no fewer than six floors above that. I hated the children's haircutting section, where as a tot I had to sit on a wooden animal to have my hair assaulted. On the top level of course there was the Pets' Corner, which I loved, although looking back I suspect the animals had a rough time there.
Peter
I remember Lewis's very well. Used to spend a lot of time on the 5th floor (toy department) when I was young. I remember the escalators being wooden. Also remember the corner of the store where there was the curved platform. Every christmas, A large santa display being placed there. How I miss those days.

Back