• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Last Day of the Metrobus in Birmingham

horsencart

master brummie
The last day of the Birmingham Built Metrobus in service on the same day that Lea Hall garage closes this happens

Hi all

After various speculative dates, it has been posted (gen from Tony Hunter and
also AG Garage) that the last day of Metrobuses 'in public service' will be
Saturday 24th July.

It is to coincide with an open day at Acocks Green Garage to mark the end of
service for the vehicles, with only 4 left in service in the NXWM fleet all now
based at Acocks Green.

Not sure what routes they will be used on yet or the duration that they will be
out but will post further info as I get it.

Information subject to change of course and we all know that final days aren't
necessarily that final!

At least that means that Metrobuses will continue to work Stratford College runs
220/1 and associated 37E workings, as well as school time related Outer Circle
11 workings until the end of term. And you never know, they might slip onto
other routes ;).

I understand that on July 24th AG's last Metrobuses will operate a public journey on each of the garage group of routes with one spending the day on the No.1 service from which it will have been the final Metro in normal service upon return to garage. When the time of the last journey has been decided (expected to be mid afternoon) the all day Metro may be duplicated in front the other Metrobuses as demand for seats on this journey is expected to be high. Details to be announced. As a matter of interest National Express has insisted that the Metrobuses have the current NX-WM fleetname logos below their windscreens, which they have never done with the traditional TWM livery they are still in.

This is the latest timetable I have for the day
The Farewell to the MCW Metrobus at Acocks Green Birmingham has been confirmed as 24th July 2010 Diagrams Being

37-13 (JNY73) 10.07 AG - Solihull 10.24
72-04 (JNY13) 10.36 Solihull - Chelmsley Wood 11.09
11.16 Chelmsey Wood - Solihull
37-17 (JNY114) 11.57 Solihull - City 12.46
31-04 (JNY45) as 31E City - Acocks Green dep 12.54 arr 13.25
37-12 (JNY148) 13.49 Acocks Green - City 14.19
(JNY177) 37E 14.20 City - Acocks Green 14.48 then empty to depot
11A-05 Depart AG Garage 10.19 (JNY25)
AG 10.21 - PB 11.13 - AG 12.45 - PB 14.12 - AG 15.09 then Empty to depot
1-04 AG 10.28- 11.01 Town Hall Depart 11.04
AG 11.43 - 12.16 Town Hall Depart 12.19
AG 12.58 - 13.31 Town Hall Depart 13.34
AG 14.13 - 14.46 Town Hall Depart 14.49
The last ever journey by a Metrobus is operated on 1-04 Departing town Hall at 14.49 arriving AG 15.20 then private to Garage
Thanks to the Acocks Green staff for all there help and support for this event. -
-

I understand that on July 24th AG's last Metrobuses will operate a public journey on each of the garage group of routes with one spending the day on the No.1 service from which it will have been the final Metro in normal service upon return to garage. When the time of the last journey has been decided (expected to be mid afternoon) the all day Metro may be duplicated in front the other Metrobuses as demand for seats on this journey is expected to be high. Details to be announced. As a matter of interest National Express has insisted that the Metrobuses have the current NX-WM fleetname logos below their windscreens, which they have never done with the traditional TWM livery they are still in.

On Saturday as per the timetable in post #4 the last of the three operational Metrobuses 2903 ran into Acocks Green Garage at 1530hrs amid cheers and applause from a larger than expected crowd of enthusiasts and interested public. The driver was kept busy issuing last tickets to those wanting them before 2903 was 'put to bed' for the last time as a revenue earning bus for NX-WM. The other two had already run in to garage leaving 2903 to take the honours. The long record of operating reliable Birmingham built buses that had continued through from Birmingham City Transport days had finally come to an end. R.I.P.
On a brighter note Metrobuses will live on in Wythall and Aston Manor Transport Museums so on their Museum Running Days it will still be possible to see and ride one on the road and there will still be some ex WMT with other operators soldiering on elsewhere for a while yet.
No doubt Bammot will post some photos and film to mark the Last Day of the Metrobus in Birmingham.

Last edited:
I shot about 500 photos on the day (it is not like I can ask every one to do it again) I am now going through the photos ready to put on the web I also shot abot 2 hours? of video this will take time to edit down to ten mins of film for YouTube

On Saturday as per the timetable in post #4 the last of the three operational Metrobuses 2903 ran into Acocks Green Garage at 1530hrs amid cheers and applause from a larger than expected crowd of enthusiasts and interested public. The driver was kept busy issuing last tickets to those wanting them before 2903 was 'put to bed' for the last time as a revenue earning bus for NW-WM. The other two had already run in to garage leaving 2903 to take the honours. The long record of operating reliable Birmingham built buses that had continued through from Birmingham City Transport days had finally come to an end. R.I.P.
On a brighter note Metrobuses will live on in Wythall and Aston Manor Transport Museums so on their Museum Running Days it will still be possible to see and ride one on the road and there will still be some ex WMT with other operators soldiering on elsewhere for a while yet.
No doubt Bammot will post some photos and film to mark the Last Day of the Metrobus in Birmingham.

I shot about 500 photos on the day (it is not like I can ask every one to do it again) I am now going through the photos ready to put on the web I also shot abot 2 hours? of video this will take time to edit down to ten mins of film for YouTube

Am looking forward to seeing the photo,s and video Bammot, you do a good sevice for us bus nuts.
John70

I have now posted one or two photos of the day
https://my.bus.photos.fotopic.net/c1875067.html

Enjoy

The last day of the Birmingham Built Metrobus in service on the same day that Lea Hall garage closes this happens

Hi all

Saturday 24th July.

based at Acocks Green.

necessarily that final!

At least that means that Metrobuses will continue to work Stratford College runs
other routes ;).

The end of MCW Metrobus operation in Birmingham is more then just the demise of one type of bus - it is the end (in Birmingham's everyday service) of:
Birmingham built bus bodies, continuous since 1924 (Buckingham bodied single deckers for what became the Outer Circle);
Metro-Cammell bus bodywork, continuous since the 1930 batch of AEC Regent double deckers (one of which is at Wythall museum awaiting restoration);
Gardner diesel engined buses, continuous since the first 1934 batch of Daimleer COG5 double deckers;
and, I think, passenger vehicles ordered by the local authority (West Midlands [county council] Passenger Transport Executive in this case) continuous since the Corporation's first trams in 1904.
The end of an era indeed.

Dont know whether this is the right place to post this, I spotted Peggy who used to run the Albion Vaults on there, I didn't know she used to be a clippy.

I have put the footage of the day on to You Tube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9z-1g4PiZo

enjoy

Hi all

Saturday 24th July.

based at Acocks Green.

necessarily that final!

other routes ;).

Thanks, Bammot, for that historic film of an historic day: epecially appreciated by this exiled Brummie! It's good to see that the enthusiasm for buses lives on (though buses come and go!).

Back