• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

L/SGT Frank COOPE, 8707, Worcestershire Regiment.

Janice,

That's what so annoying, I don't like to give up but I try to include only "most likely" data in my file of Worcestershire Regiment soldiers.
Just copy data do not generally purchase them.

David

Final observation, in regards his MRIC. He appears to be listed as a Private and then a Corporal, no mention of Lance Sergeant. And his entry entry into the war is dated 17 Mar 1915. If he was a pre-war serving soldier wouldn't his entry have likely to have been 1914?

I can't see the Award Rolls entry which he seems to have 2 of.

I will post those later (laptop off at min) and there are 2.
The only thing against it being him seems to be a conflict over when he enlisted.

First medal rollfor 1914 - 15 star
1692878155775.png

Second entry for British War medal and Victory medal Rank is l/sgt
1692878241022.png

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
MWS and Janice,

Appreciate you still looking.

His number suggests enlistment about October, 1904. He would sign up for 7 years with the Colours and 5 in Reserve, as I could not find him on any Military Census. If I could find him on a Military Census then he signed of for a further period. If he was in Reserves then he would have been called up at the beginning of WW1. He went to France in March, 1915 without his service papers we do not know why he did not go to France earlier.
On the medal roll for the W and VM's his rank is shown as L/Sgt. Further more his 1915 Star roll tells us he was transferred at end of hostilities to Class Z Army Reserve.

David

Back