• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kynoch's I M I 1950s Onwards

Wendy
As you say these folders were part of the ritual of "Brummie" factory life.Will try to attatch other three sides.Perhaps someone might even recognise themselves from the names if the pics blow up okay
Regards
Pembroke

Hi Colin,
Very interesting stuff. I was recently told that IMI / KYNOCH also produced materials / parts for the first atom bombs used in the " Manhatten" project. Is this correct?

Trevor.

I think it was materials for the atomic bomb, or at least for research into it. I was told the work was done somewhere on the Kings norton Industrial estate.
Mike

Way back in the mid 60's I worked at the I.M.I. in the coin shop, the forman's name was Charlie, can't remember his last name, could have been Yates, my cousine Robert was a lead hand for a while and my mom, Clementina Hope worked in Lightning Fasteners, I worked there for about 3 years packing coins in wooden boxes and operation the Signode strapping machine, at this time I was also working three nights a week at the Cinephone Cinema on Bristol Street. After doing this for a while I moved to Tuckers on Walsall Road. I had a lot of good fun at the IMI, anyone else work in the coin shop.
Andrew

Edit. Image unavailable.

double click on the picture and it will magnify so the quality is much better m.whitbrook.THIS MESSAGE REFERS TO POST 324# THE ARTISTIC AND THE DIECAST dept. OF LF.

My wife's great grandfather Charles HOLLINGS worked at Kynoch's as a policeman. He had been a constable with the Staffordshire County force for 26 years prior to retirement at the age of 47. He started at Kynoch's the same day as he officially retired and worked there from 1 April 1911 until 9 November 1912. His Staffs Co. police records state that he was employed at Kynoch's as an 'A.C.' Has anyone any idea what these initials stand for? I know at least one of the earlier posters on this thread had a relative who was a policeman at Kynoch's, albeit much later. Were their duties confined to the prevention of theft from the site?
Paul

I remember being a member of the IMI ice skating club that whent to the Silver Blades once a week, are there any members out there that were at the same club, it would be in the early 60's.
Andrew

My old mate Ron worked at IMI, doing something in a moulding shop, he said they made things for atomic power stations out of special metals.
My school used to use the playing fields by Witton cemetry and I can remember the rat-tat-tat noise that was from testing bullets in the Kynoch works at the other side of the canal.

A couple of photo's of the canteen staff on duty during sports day. The other was taken by Kynoch's Press. Mom is on the left with the two ladies on. Jean.

Hi

Yes the Kynoch canteens the Main one was at near the Main Office Block it was huge.
I remember some sought of Red Book where we stuck the weeks supply of Vouchers
in. Meals fantastic. Every Thursday Night before Night School we went into the Head
Offfice Canteen for a Supper. This was free for Night Schoolers like me.
Kynoch Canteens were the Best.
Every year we had our Apprentice Presentations in the Main Canteen.
It was all done up like. We had guest speakers but the food was to die for.
Xmas was alway,s a happy time. Unfortunately I didnt take much part in the
recreational side there spent too much time down the Sports Club at Night
and weekends playing Football there. It was a huge Sports Centre run by
Frank Mitchell.
Went back there over the 60's and 70's when I played for Lucas against
Kynoch. Most of my Kynoch mates didnt beleive I was on the other Team
Over the years Kynochs alway's beat us.

happy day's

Mike Jenks

Brumm I remember taking that photo andwhen she pulled that face. Mike I used to take part in the sports at Lucas's a great fun day out. Jean.

Because that is where the Kynoch's sports day was sometimes held. Don't ask me why but I think they took it in turns as to which field it was on. Jean.

I always seemed to go every year to Lucas I.M.I had their own large sports field

I know Alf I used to ride my pony on the IMI one opposite the Incinerater. For some reason the IMI canteen staff worked on the sports ground belonging to Lucas.

That's correct Paul. We took a load of rubbish to the Halford drive tip the other day and the IMI field was covered in rabbits. Jean.

hi

confusion reigns over 10years i played in the birmingham works football leagues.
kynoch teams played their home games at holford drive and lucas teams played
their home games at moor lane.
as i worked for both 59 to 64 kynoch and lucas 66 to 70 playing for lucas v kynoch
i would play at holford drive. confusing to say the least.
i was fortunate to play for both of these two great works teams.

mike jenks

Hi

Yes Lucas had several the Largest outside of Moor Lane was Prospect Lane in Solihull.
This served Shaftmoor Lane BW3 4 and 5. Clearly the huge Subs of Lucas like
Girling had their own.

Mike Jenks

Mike I posted a news paper photo early on this thread of some of the IMI football team. There was a Mervin Smith and George Dawkins on it. Would you remember either of these?. Jean.

and also in halford drive, there was a football pitch, behind the bus garage, used by w.m.p.t.

Yes Paul I played on that pitch a couple of times when I worked for Birmingham City Transport and also on the Kynoch's pitch when I played for them.
First tie I played football on Holford Drive was when I played for Cowper Street School when I was about 8 1945.

Back