• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

KEY HILL HOCKLEY

I think you are correct Lyn, the map shows The Cemetery Tavern at 53-54 Key Hill, at 51 Key Hill was Frank Newman Boot repairer you can see his shop just along from George's Cafe in post #3

thanks for confirming john

lyn

At least the old top section of Key Hill remains. Glad the old Gem Building has survived, along with the sorting office and the Harry Smith ironmonger’s shop. But Harry Smith’s signage now seems to have been painted over (over the entrance).

There are sad reminders of what has gone. These dropped cobbled kerb entrances are now leading to nowhere - just overgrown ground. The bottom one may have been for the Bulls Head. Not sure as don’t know how much of Key Hill was taken up by building of the Key Hill Circus. The plot next to Cemetery Lane (where the car is parked and now closed off with a barrier) where the Cemetery pub once stood is empty ground too. Viv.

A18632C4-73B9-49C0-895D-E4682E4753E2.jpeg
A8002B60-CBEC-4E1D-925D-7116DC3AB837.jpeg

Last edited:
Back