• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

KEY HILL HOCKLEY

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
i have posted this one before but it could have got lost after the hacking...absolutely no idea where on key hill this was taken but it is the only one i have to date....rear of key hill dated 1967..this is one of those rare photos that gets to me and holds a fascination but i cant explain just why...
key hill rear 1967.jpg

Last edited:
Lyn, if thats the only pic you have of Key Hill, then you are welcome to these. All of Key Hill.

Attachments

• Key Hill (1).jpg
    Key Hill (1).jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 60
  • Key Hill (2).jpg
    Key Hill (2).jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Key Hill (3).jpg
    Key Hill (3).jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Key Hill (4).jpg
    Key Hill (4).jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Key Hill (5).jpg
    Key Hill (5).jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 54
A few more Lyn.

Attachments

• Key Hill (6).jpg
    Key Hill (6).jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Key Hill (7).jpg
    Key Hill (7).jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Key Hill (8).jpg
    Key Hill (8).jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 55
  • key hill (9).jpg
    key hill (9).jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 55
  • key hill (10).jpg
    key hill (10).jpg
    537.5 KB · Views: 51
those are great terry..ive just realised i have seen pic 4 and pic 2 out of the book before could be on my pc upstairs...i shall study them in more detail later on...

cheers

lyn

also seen the one with the bulls head on terry but not so clear as that one...what i will do now is put all these key hill pics in their own folder..

many thanks..

Wonderful photos Terry. I shall also save them and thanks for posting.
I think the first one is of the terrace, which runs from Hylton Street to Key Hill. The one part that's hardly changed at all.

Last edited:
Wonderful photos Terry. I shall also save them and thanks for posting.
I think the first one is of the terrace, which runs from Hylton Street to Key Hill. The one part that's hardly changed at all.

think you are right charlie...

Great photo's Terry. Yes the terrace is the one off Hylton Street, still the same now although I have heard they tried to close the entry. Great one of Norton's to go on my family tree.

and a map showing hadley st off key hill..it would have been a little way up on the left of my photo 1 post 3..not sure if its just before the large building or after it....mike would be able to work it out for us..

Attachments

• hadley st off key hill.jpg
    hadley st off key hill.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 16
Below is a map c 1953 , nearer the date of the photo. Have marked the position of the junction with Haden St. on the photo with an arrow. The large building would appear to be the Post Office building.

map c1953 key hill.jpg

key hill showing position of haden st.jpg

Last edited:
mike i think the large building would be the gem building which is still there and the entrance to the back of the post office is the lower building just before it..thanks for the map mike but i cant see the arrow showing hadley st on the photo

Last edited:
Interesting photos Lyn. A lot to consider.
It looks a decent area, not a dump, there are some nice shops there it seems: Nortons and Tims for instance. Georges Cafe does look inviting and the 'chippy' likewise.

Last edited:
thanks mike ive got the arrow now :) i know some of the photos ive posted have been posted on the forum before in different places but there are about 12 high clarity ones that ive had for 2 years without posting them on the forum..never mind...better late than never

lyn

yes mort especially the new ones which give us a look at the courtyards and back houses that were in key hill...i really must go through my files again to see what else maybe new to the forum

lyn

Back