• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kaleidoscopes

yes i do. i had one for christmas when i was a kid.i looked through it and turned the end looking at all the dif pic.then i took it apart to see how it worked. and wrecked it.

oh my... now they make them out cardbroad and what not... a friends father brought she daughter one ...it was really nice t was made of metal and glass and at one end it had a holder which you pulled a glass tube that had sparkles in it through ... really neat

Last edited:
I had one Annie and so did our twins when they were young. They used to be pyramid shaped I think. Like your creations. Jean.

I had one when I was a child and loved it - it was triangular and covered in red leatherette. When my son was young I bought him one but it was made of metal and round.

i had one sylvia but it was made of heavy card broad ... but it was neat to look through non the less ..now i use the computer ..i take my pic's and distort them .... it is really interesting what comes out.. it could be an otherwise bland pic and there is so much hidden in it

I have a kaleidoscope, my son bought it for me about ten years ago, its different to any I have seen, there isn't any colour or pattern in it, but when you look through, its like everything looks like a kaleidescope image, so its like a kaleidoscope of everything, I am not sure I have explained that properly.

Thanks Len. I was watching a quiz tonight and one of the questions was "Who invented the Kaleidascope?". Anyone remember co's I didn't?. No googling though. Jean.

I still have a kaleidoscope, albeit a paper one from Early Learning - all of the kids had one at different times.
Liz, not sure if they still do them, but ELC used to do aprismascope, a blue conical shape with a lens at each end and when you look through it, gives a kaleidoscopic appearance to whatever you llok at.
Sue

I still have a kaleidoscope, albeit a paper one from Early Learning - all of the kids had one at different times.
Liz, not sure if they still do them, but ELC used to do aprismascope, a blue conical shape with a lens at each end and when you look through it, gives a kaleidoscopic appearance to whatever you llok at.
Sue
Hi Sue, I had never seen one like that until my son bought it for me.

Back