• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Junction of Hagley Road with Monument Road, Edgbaston

flossiefoster

master brummie
Today I had to go to City Hospital Eye Outpatients for a check up after a cataract operation on Saturday 5th November. While sitting at the traffic lights on the Hagley Road waiting to turn into Monument Road with the Ivy Bush on the right hand side and a building on the corner of the other side of Monument Road which has a crest showing 4 shields within a wreath over the door which is now painted over but must have been quite colourful at some time in the past.
I used to work, in the 1970s, in a small office block next door to the Plough and Harrow (no 123 Hagley Road) so would often walk down to Starkeys the bakers but, for the life of me, I cannot remember what the building on the corner of Monument Road was back in the 70s. It is now a Pepe's restaurant.
Can anyone please cast their minds back to tell me what used to be in the building on the corner opposite the Ivy Bush? Thank you!

Your right MWS, in my youth I was bar cellarman at the Ivy Bush and Lloyds was opposite. The 'Bush' was a busy pub back then and I'd order the beer. From memory we'd go through nine or ten Hogshead (54 gallon) of cask conditioned Brew XI, seven or eight Barrels (36 gallon) of mild, about the same in lager and four or five Guinness a week, far more than most pubs sell these days.

Your right MWS, in my youth I was bar cellarman at the Ivy Bush and Lloyds was opposite. The 'Bush' was a busy pub back then and I'd order the beer. From memory we'd go through nine or ten Hogshead (54 gallon) of cask conditioned Brew XI, seven or eight Barrels (36 gallon) of mild, about the same in lager and four or five Guinness a week, far more than most pubs sell these days.
I'd say half of that was sold to the St Philips Grammar staff Richard :)

oldMohawk,

My first flight was also in the 50's also in a De Havilland Dragon Rapide like the one you flew in costing 10/-, but my flight was from Elmdon, Birmingham Airport. I have also flown in and out of Elmdon to Brussels in near empty Vickers Viscounts, just 3 of us on the plane and being asked not to sit together.:D

Now I live in Belgium and still keep the old flag flying by driving around in 1960's MG's, but for some reason those Vickers Viscounts still keep buzzing me.:D

Graham.

I'd say half of that was sold to the St Philips Grammar staff Richard :)
Very true :) Here's a story for you. Back then we used to get small groups of trainee (novice?) priests pop into the bar for a couple of pints of Guinness then head back to the Oratory. Now, jump forward thirty years and I'm living in Wales nursing. One shift a new nurse turns up for duty and he said to me "I know your face from somewhere".

After a good chat during our break it turns out he was one of those young priests in training who I'd served in the Ivy Bush!!! He's a great nurse who left the priesthood and married a Welsh girl and now has three children and one grandchild; we still meet up once a month for a pint or four and he keeps me up to date with whats going on in the NHS. He's now a senior ward manager.

Back