• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Items that have faded away

Status
Not open for further replies.
talking of products that have faded away. ive been hunting hi and low for fairy soap.
I remember it as a child my mother bought it when we went away on holidays. The smell reminds me of my childhood and many a happy holiday in weston super mare, but do you think i can find it in any of the shops nope it seems that they dont sell it anymore.
Ive looked on the web but can only find the large bars of green soap but not the stuff we use to wash with as kids.
so i ended up buying imperial leather as that reminds me of my dad and i was upset to find they have changed the smell it dosent smell like it use to.
I cant get carbolic soap from any of the shops anymore but i can get coaltar soap and as for pears soap that dosent smell like it use to.
Is it me or have companys got these all new inproved products or am i trying to remember as smell that never existed

ok rant over im going to reminisce a little more lol

Celia
Firms change formulae, often for cost reasons , and then usually use "focus groups" , whose results are then fiddled to get the result that the company wants. In the case of Pears the result was pretty awful (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technol...ndons-new-recipe-after-Facebook-campaign.html ) and they were supposed, according to the above, to be reverting to the old recipe. However I would guess the main differenc ein the smaell would be the "Pears Fragrance essence they mention. this would be entirly natural and probably very expensive . They would probably still try to replace that with something cheaper.

No, nowadays I use a steam iron but find I need a tea towel or handkerchief on the cloth to stop the iron marking things.
Brown paper seems to be a "product that is fading away" !
Brown paper by the roll at Staples Baz also at Rymans and Osbornes stationers.

Hi guys ;
what springs to mind is the very first shampoo ever brought out in the early 1900s
and that was dear old vosene shampoo in a little bottle and now left behind with all the todays inproved shampoos
and they do not advertise any more ;in any papers or on tele ;
best wishes astonian;;

A lot of the household products have changed ingredients over the years, Jeyes Fluid, Wrights Coal Tar Soap, Victory V Lozenges, Fly Sprays etc.
Mainly for health reasons.
Certain ingredients used 40-50 years ago are not be allowed now.

Celia/ Was Fairy soap the one that had a baby in nappies stamped on it or am I getting mixed up? I went to Port Sunlight a few years ago where I bought a few bars of Lifeboy soap which also seems to have disappeared. Have found this website https://www.lifebuoy.co.uk/fairy-household-soap.htm which seems to imply that all these products are now made abroad as this website is owned by an importer who says that he is trying to get supplies

Most, if not all of soaps which are not now available in the UK are manufactured in Indonesia but using different ingredients, fats oil etc for the south east Asian market where for religious reasons certain animal fats would not be allowed also it is produced for use with the type of water that would be available in that part of the world, thats why most of these soaps don't lather as well as the original did in the UK.

I have always used for Pears for many years. The fragrance is probably not as strong as it was, but it is still there, but the liquid one is nothing like it.

Celia/ Was Fairy soap the one that had a baby in nappies stamped on it or am I getting mixed up? I went to Port Sunlight a few years ago where I bought a few bars of Lifeboy soap which also seems to have disappeared. Have found this website https://www.lifebuoy.co.uk/fairy-household-soap.htm which seems to imply that all these products are now made abroad as this website is owned by an importer who says that he is trying to get supplies

yes dave it was the green soap with the baby in the nappie stamped on the front and do you think i can find it in any of the shops nope begining to think they dont make it anymore but i shall have a look on the website youve posted

In the late sixties my eldest son used to get a constant stream of Corgi models from his grandad.
Beautifully made, with faceted headlights and excellent detail, they were so good I was reluctant to let a four year-old play with them. Truth be told I wanted them myself ! I don't think they're sold anymore.
I suspect the models came from somewhere in Germany because whenever I asked my Dad where they were from, he always said "Knocktorf". :fat:

In the late sixties my eldest son used to get a constant stream of Corgi models from his grandad.
Beautifully made, with faceted headlights and excellent detail, they were so good I was reluctant to let a four year-old play with them. Truth be told I wanted them myself ! I don't think they're sold anymore.
I suspect the models came from somewhere in Germany because whenever I asked my Dad where they were from, he always said "Knocktorf". :fat:

Corgi toys are still made. In fact they took over my favourite LLedo as few years ago. However after take overs and buyouts they may not be the same company that they used to be

I used to race my corgi cars with nan on the carpet, the newer ones had glass windows. DOuble Diamond works wonders so drink some today. I'll have another special Ethel? I had a bakelite garage too. And a farm with realistic animals. SOme name like Briton. And Horny trainsets I never had one of them. And plastic parachutes with a little man underneath.

football annual263.jpgHi all does anyone remember these books? i bought one every year through the 50s and early 60s. they were full of interesting facts (if you were a football supporter) and i spent hours reading them. There was another book done by the sports argus which i thought was even better than this one i also bought one of those each year but i cant locate one of these.

yes dave it was the green soap with the baby in the nappie stamped on the front and do you think i can find it in any of the shops nope begining to think they dont make it anymore but i shall have a look on the website youve posted
I have been gift searching for an attractive soap and came across a green soap in Sainsburys very like fairy, but smaller, with an indent round it like a picture frame. I have forgotten the brand but I will check next time. It's in a brown paper wrapper, a single bar and contains bergamot. Smells nice and what struck me was that it reminded me of fairy. I was ridiculed by my school mates as we used fairy toilet soap at home. "what soap do you use etc" Most of us famlilies in the lower income bracket it turned out used Fairy. The thickos they were thought toilet meant what you flush. Mum explained to me what it meant.

Did your mom ever make paper flowers with coloured paper hankies or serviettes. My mom did and they seemed to be all over the house. She used to concertina them up and bind in the middle and then just separate the tiers of papers and pull them up. The end result was like a carnation.

I used to Carolina we were taught to make them at school. Mum was in a concert party and I made her a hat with the, That was when tissues came in colours and were cheap. We used to decorate baskets at harvest and take them to chosen old people who lived near the school. The really poor old folk in the poor areas never got a look in. La la la la Look in! (Kids' mag I used to read. Just thought of that. Mum used to make crackers with crepe paper and we made chains and lanterns at school. I am still good at decoupage which called paper chains, I can make animals in chains etc. We did snowflakes and stuck tjem on the window. I was surprised when doing this at work that no one had seen it done before.

what about carters little liver pills and fynnon bath salts
sloaans liniment

I was reaching around in the dark one night for some cough medicine, and accidently drank the sloaans liniment. To my dismay, it wasn’t only hot when I drank it.

my mother used to put it on a flannel and once i used the flannel to wash my bits and pieces lol ohhhhhhh

I spilt Brut on mine had to get back in the bath. I had some travel bottles and so I also sprayed aftershave under my arm and also in my eye as I have to feel where the hole is. I posted this before but Nan had a flat round red tin of yellow Basilicon she called Yeller Mazellica. It was very old but god for grazes and cuts but very sticky and stained your clothes. Gran used to take Oatrex gruel. I loved it. Remember when tablets came in red cardboard tubes at one time in the 60's with a press down lid like they had on Smartie tubes? Gran took tons of big pills she called horse tablets. Arnica was in a thruppeny bit shaped dark green bottle with a cork in. I had a tiny bottle of oil of cloves about an inch high. We dipped a matchstick boound in cotton wool in it. Also remember Gloy in a bendy bottle with a red stopper with a split you hd to make and it always got bunged up.

Was Gloy the glue in the triangular bottle? Yes, I remember the red rubber top with the slit. When you pressed it down on the paper it released some glue, gliding across the paper - providing it wasn't dried up around the slit top. Don't think it's around these days, doubtless replaced by other products. Used it to glue those paper Christmas lanterns which were hung along strings across the classroom or to glue felt pieces together to make Christmas ornaments. Loved those projects in junior school. Viv.

Now you mention it Jean, yes it was called cow gum. Does that mean it was made from cows? Yuk! Viv.

Yes Vivienne a by product of a cow. The old books had cow gum too and our dog Sue at the time chewed an old book as she must have smelled the gum. Jean.

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber_cement, cow gum wasn;t made from cows, or at least not recently. Originally glues were made my boiling up animal materials such as bones to extract the gelatine-like materials in them. So maybe at one time such a product did exist made from cows. Having once visited a glue factory (they still existed in the 1960s) and smelled the awful stench, i'm glad stuff like this isn't now of animal origin.

I can remember being told at school that the glue we used in woodwork was made from boiling cows hooves. (One wonders what the present day glue sniffers would make of it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I can remember the old glue pot that my dad used ,the glue had to be heated up before use and was in a container that was placed inside a larger one which I think contained hot water.

Mal I too remember dads glue pot. It was a metal tin and the screw lid had a brush attached. I still have the old book my dog chewed. It was all sticky when I found it.

I can remember being told at school that the glue we used in woodwork was made from boiling cows hooves. (One wonders what the present day glue sniffers would make of it! :miserable:)

Yes scotch glue, I still use it; made from boiled up bones from the knackers yard.

For cabinet making it is still one of the better glues around.

When I worked in various offices we used something called a roller damper. This was a roller sitting in a tray of water which was used to dampen the glue on envelopes before sealing them. There was also a sponge version, similar to the ones used to dampen postage stamps at the Post Office before self-adhesive stamps were introduced. I expect these dampers were developed because of what the glue was made of. However, I dread to think of how many envelopes I've licked in the past! Mind you, it's done me no harm. Viv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back