• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Is This Your Motor?

Hi Everyone,
I have lots of photographs of cars in Brum's streets. I'll post a few and see how you like them. Maybe a forum member's old knacker might turn up - you never know! I'm not a car nut so perhaps somebody can post what they are for interest. To start with I think this photograph from 1958 may be a Ford Consul ....

Attachments

• Consul.jpg
    Consul.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 210
Hi Everyone,
I have lots of photographs of cars in Brum's streets. I'll post a few and see how you like them. Maybe a forum member's old knacker might turn up - you never know! I'm not a car nut so perhaps somebody can post what they are for interest. To start with I think this photograph from 1958 may be a Ford Consul ....
Not one I owned but I remember the petrol pump also supplied the vacuum for the wipers. I remember replacing the petrol pump diaphragm on quite a few of these.

Not one I owned but I remember the petrol pump also supplied the vacuum for the wipers. I remember replacing the petrol pump diaphragm on quite a few of these.
That pump also had a problem when the seal between the two diaphragms failed it sucked oil out of the sump and smoked badly and the owners thought it needed new piston rings.

A Morris 8 Series E. and a Ford 8 in front.
Short storey re the Morris 8. My cousin had one in the late fifties, my Mother and Sister loaded in just waiting for me. I came running along and jumped onto the running board, yes it dropped off and my cousin was really upset.

Please let me know if you get bored with these ... this one has a lovely poster behind the car. Date is 1958.View attachment 113762
Good photos,keep them coming. While I lived in birmingham, I never felt the need for a car, we used the buses and the trains. It was not until I moved to Devon that I realised that a car was a necessity, Standard Vanguard 1948 vintage, followed by two Jowett Javelins, one fitted with aJupiter engine, then a 1946 VW Beetle, then saving for a house down to a Lambretta Cento scooter. Dad bought a Morris minor series M, with the lights in the front wings, LOB148 or 198, then one of the first minis. It is the photos of the 1930s onwards with real British made cars in them that I enjoy most of all....yes keep them coming

Bob Davis

Good photos,keep them coming. While I lived in birmingham, I never felt the need for a car, we used the buses and the trains. It was not until I moved to Devon that I realised that a car was a necessity, Standard Vanguard 1948 vintage, followed by two Jowett Javelins, one fitted with aJupiter engine, then a 1946 VW Beetle, then saving for a house down to a Lambretta Cento scooter. Dad bought a Morris minor series M, with the lights in the front wings, LOB148 or 198, then one of the first minis. It is the photos of the 1930s onwards with real British made cars in them that I enjoy most of all....yes keep them coming

Bob Davis
Cheers Bob, I'm a two-wheeled devotee though I do have a car. The Golden Rule in cycling however is that the bicycle being transported on the car should be more expensive than the car! As my car is 14-5 years old I safely qualify. Last year I did 2,000 miles in the car and 11,000 miles on the bike. Of course, as a youngster I had a few flashy numbers, including one that looked like Inspector Morse's Jaguar saloon but was a Daimler equipped with a nice little V8.
Cheers, Kieron

Thanks for posting these Kieron. Not personally very interested in the cars (boo, hiss) but interested in the streets the cars are photographed in. So far not been able to identify any of the streets!! But do keep em coming. Viv.

Thanks for posting these Kieron. Not personally very interested in the cars (boo, hiss) but interested in the streets the cars are photographed in. So far not been able to identify any of the streets!! But do keep em coming. Viv.
The one with the billboard was taken on Summer Lane - at the garage.

This one is a bit older. Photo is from 1949 ...

A Morris 8 Series E. and a Ford 8 in front.

Just came across this thread and really enjoying it. Some great photos. The first car I remember my Dad having was a Morris 8 but that was only a two door. A neighbour a few doors away had a Morris 10 which was a 4 door. Could the car in this picture be a Morris 10 or did the Morris 8 have a 4 door option?

Back