• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Humorous And Interesting Newspaper Stories about Birmingham

I wonder what he would think of "The Things to Come" with respect to Manzoni's efforts following the efforts of Adoph

Sammy the Shunter​

Sammy the Shunter is a fictional anthropomorphic steam locomotive character created by Eileen Gibb, featuring in a series of children's books published in the 1940s and 1950s. Sammy is depicted as a 2-4-2T locomotive, painted red with green wheels and a yellow dome who lives in the fictional town of Sleeping Sunbury in England. various books tell of Sammy's adventures all over the world.

Attachments

• 1664783147149.png
    1664783147149.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 1
I realised that Pedro. They probably praised the fact that workhouses were no longer called workhouses !

Municipilisation of public houses.

A proposal by Joseph Chamberlain?

I recently came across this article from Aris's Gazette of 16/12/1876. I know he municipalised water and gas, but pubs? Certainly that seems to have been the implication of Gothenberg notion or proposal.

Gothenberg council had legislated that only beer could be sold privately. The council alone could sell other alcoholic drinks. In the UK this was seen as a compromise. So both the advocates of temperance (politically, mainly Liberals) and their opponents (politically the Tories) opposed it.

JC was not against drinking as such. He was probably more concerned about the effect on his workers and consequently on his profits. Decades later he became Colonial Secretary and was able to forbid the sale of alcohol to black Africans.

They actually did this in Carlisle - state-owned boozers!!

Back