• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Huburn

mrbluesky1957

master brummie
Just hoping there is a genuis who can help, please. Tried everything I know, looking for William Huburn born abt 1863 Birmingham on 1891, 1901, 1911 censuses. Nothing before, have his marriage cert married 1888 Alvechurch to Mary Ward. His father was George, no record of him at all. No record of Williams birth, maybe a variant spelling of surname. His wife Mary, was from Coopers Hill which is Barnt Green? He died 1915. Ive pulled my hair out on this one for a few months now. Be grateful if anyone can help. If you need anymore info please contact me. Thank you,

hi mrbluesky...great another mystery for us..always happy to help members who have tried and hit a brick wall..im sure one or two of us will try to help

lyn

no luck so far but i think ive found his son georges bapt 1902...parents william and mary this does not help of course but just in case you dont have it...surname is spelt hubburn

lyn

Hi Lyn, thanks as usual. George is on 1901 census, think there were 4 children. So many variations of spelling of surname. His marriage cert where he signs has ca x and someone has signed for I'm. Unfortunately ileterite, hence carnt find him on 1871, 81 censuses. Thanks for your help. The closest I've got is below. He's not on that as born after 1861, but King's Norton.

George HOUGHBORNE marrying Caroline STANLEY in Jun qtr 1855 in Kings Norton.

I suspect there may be more with different spellings, but I then found these birth registrations with mmn STANLEY -

MarQ1858 Thomas HUBAND mmn STANLEY Birmingham

JunQ1861 Hannah HUBAND mmn STANLEY Birmingham
DecQ1863 William HUBAND mmn STANLEY Birmingham

as you cant find a birth for him in birmingham and although the later census may say he was born in birmingham have you considered as happens so often that if his mom did marry maybe her hubby died she remarried and a young william took on his step dads surname from then on...just a thought...also he may have been born somewhere else and came to brum at a later date or maybe he was illegitimate and took on his step dads name...just mulling things over

lyn

Never thought of that. I just had a thought that I saw he was born in Bromsgrove.
Maybe confused with their marriage being in Bromsgrove, Alvechurch. Best me, still searching, beats TV. Thank you.

Are you saying that George and Caroline are his parents?

If certainly seems that they are likely to be. George's occupation is listed as Gun Lock Finisher on William's marriage and on 1861 census George is listed as a Gun Lock Filer.

Also Cooper's Hill is Alvechurch.

Found them I think in 1881 in Ridgacre Worcestershire, listed as Davis for some reason.

George is listed as Gun Lock Filer, William as an Engine Stoker which ties in with marriage.

A Tom and a Hannah matching those above also there.

Hi MWS, it states on marriage cert that his father was George. Don't know where Caroline is mentioned? Amazing the rest of info including on marriage cert is spot on. Thnx for putting me right on Cooper's Hill. Thank you for your help, appreciated. I've just got George as his father. No sure of his wife and no birth of William anywhere I've tried.

P.S. if the variation of surname is from Huburn to Houghbourne it could be Caroline? Sounds similar, big difference. Stab in the dark might be correct. Thnx again.

The George Houghbourne and Caroline Stanley marriage you mention and the Huband children seems to be the ones.
That's my last throw of the dice. It somehow slots in, just so annoying I carnt get a birth. cert for William. Not sure was there s ruling or yr when births had to be registered? Thnx again, bit more positive.

The 2 daughters listed on the 1871 census Mary Ann and Caroline have corresponding birth registrations in Stourbridge listed as Davies, mmn Stanley.

It does state William born 1864 but Dec 1863 Huband looks great as with all your other siblings. This site always comes up with answers. It's like going to The Repair Shop experts. Helped me so much. Thank you.

The 2 daughters listed on the 1871 census Mary Ann and Caroline have corresponding birth registrations in Stourbridge listed as Davies, mmn Stanley.
So remarried? Bloomin heck dunno how you do it. Bit confused with Davies. Too much today lol

George Houghbourne marries Caroline Stanley in 1855 as you mention.

In 1861 they are listed as Huband living in Bham with 3 children.

In 1871 and 1881 they living in Ridgacre and for some reason have changed their name to Davis.

George and Caroline's children are...

Elizabeth

Thomas, Hannah and William - registered as Huband as you mentioned

Mary Ann and Caroline - registered as Daves

Have found marriage cert June 1855. George and Caroline. Got 2 devices going. It all slots in. Do you agree with the variation of Houghbourne to hubard to Huburn MWS? Seems to be alot of iletracy. Lock filer, no ages on certificate. Cheers. Got that printed.

Yes everything points to Houghbourne and Huburn and Huband being the same.

It appears that William's brother Thomas married as Davis, 1886 Quainton. All info ties in.

There are death registrations for a George and Caroline Davis listed in Stourbridge that seem to match.

Yes everything points to Houghbourne and Huburn and Huband being the same.

It appears that William's brother Thomas married as Davis, 1886 Quainton. All info ties in.

There are death registrations for a George and Caroline Davis listed in Stourbridge that seem to match.
Cannot thank you enough for your help. I was totally stuff but you've put the jig saw together, amazing. Quinton is in Bucks. Will find all info you've given me a print it out. Never thought get the info. Hard one, thought my tree was hard. Brilliant pal, I contributed a little. Okay, take care. Appreciated.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Back