• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Huburn

Never thought of that. I just had a thought that I saw he was born in Bromsgrove.
Maybe confused with their marriage being in Bromsgrove, Alvechurch. Best me, still searching, beats TV. Thank you.
Thanks once again Lyn, MWS spent some time on it. Without this great site and such knowledgeable folk I would not have got so far on my many projects lol. Always a Brummie. X

It seems possible that the fictitious name was Huburn not Davis.

Found a potential match for William's father George Davis. Born 1832 in Handsworth, the son of a Thomas Davis and maybe a Charlotte Smallwood.

They have a number children, the younger ones registered as Davis/Smallwood. However Thomas and Charlotte do not marry until after the birth of 4 or 5 children.

That could mean that they are not Thomas's or not Charlotte's. However one thing in favour of it is that though all the children were born in Handsworth, Thomas and Charlotte married in Edgbaston. Which can point to hiding a late marriage.

If it does turn out to be them then George had a sister Lucy who married a man with a strange name - Onesiphorous Scott.
It seems possible that the fictitious name was Huburn not Davis.

Found a potential match for William's father George Davis. Born 1832 in Handsworth, the son of a Thomas Davis and maybe a Charlotte Smallwood.

They have a number children, the younger ones registered as Davis/Smallwood. However Thomas and Charlotte do not marry until after the birth of 4 or 5 children.

That could mean that they are not Thomas's or not Charlotte's. However one thing in favour of it is that though all the children were born in Handsworth, Thomas and Charlotte married in Edgbaston. Which can point to hiding a late marriage.
It's like a murder mystery. So that rules out The HOUGHBORNE theory? Why on earth have a fictiuocous surname? No wonder trees on ancestry got no further back than William. So a birth certificate still out of the question? You don't give up. Many thanks for your perseverance. MWS.

People used a different name for a number of reason - rent trouble, law trouble, bigamy etc. What the reason was for William's father to use a different name will probably never be known.

I do think the William Huband that you found registered Bham 1863 mmn Stanley is the correct one. All the details seem to correspond. Why he decided to continue calling himself Huburn when it appears the rest of the family reverted to Davis is anyone's guess.

I'm not sure his birth certificate would give definitive proof that Huband is Davis.

If they are the same then I would expect the marriage certificate between George Houghbourne and Caroline Stanley would list George's father as Thomas, occupation lock Filer or gunsmith or similar.

Hi and thanks, George is down as lock filer marriage to Caroline Stanley. You've probably seen that. Never had anything like this before though. Both literate on that marriage, not even an age. Probably correct I those days, maybe explains William not showing until 1891 census. Just glad it's not my family, bit easier. Many thanks again MWS.

this is just why tracing your ancestry is so interesting and can give many hair pulling out twists and turns..sometimes it is just not possible to find the answers which are only there if the relevent info at our disposal is bang on...for years i couldnt find my gt grandparents on the 1901 either together or seperate and still cant because they evaded it..it was not until i went on ancestry to find all the children they had that led me to find their marriage cert also on ancestry...they married in 1910 so i went back to the 1911 census where they had put that they hade been married for 10 years when in fact they had only been married for 1 year..they had 4 children before getting married so to save face they told a little white lie as often happened in those days

lyn

Hi and thanks Lyn. Some research is Alot easier than others. My gt grandfather told huge lies regarding his age. He died in 1907, his wife
remarried. Strangely stayed and died in Balsall Heath. I was in touch with another genius who had connections with one of her sons and married a relative of his. I wished I had asked my father more but he never mentioned it, too late now. I did find out that my mom and dad's wedding photo was my nan in 1950. She died Yr later brain aneurysm on Coventry Road. Sometimes you can be lucky on ancestry most of work been done. This One Huburn lol, everyone stuck at 1864. My dad's mom's side got me back to late 1600s but France. Can see why people spend 20, 30 yrs researching. MWS been a big help and you as always. Thanks.

Back