• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

How Good Is It - Tony Iommi

Simon4130

master brummie
Tony who is a proud Brummie from Aston and of course the guitarist of legendary group Black Sabbath composed this wonderful piece for the Birmingham Cathedral Choir. Something a bit different from the man who invented heavy metal. He has recently revealed that his cancer is in remission and I really hope he has many more years left with us.

I have listened to this twice and I love it.

Simon

I like it and would like to have a note of the words as I find it difficult to distinguish words when a choir is singing especially when they switch between English and Latin. Words by the Very Rev Catherine Ogle, Dean of Birmingham, which I understand are taken from Psalm 133.
tony-iommi-choral-composition-1483623795-article-0.png

Hi david and badpenny
I have to agree with you its lovely i really enjoyed it and i certainly prefere the latin verses especialy in church
and its more appreciated if you are actualy within the church either singing it yourself or just letting the choir sing there version
and listen to them , to me i find it very emotional and thought come closer to me and religion than the english Cof E churches
meaning the catholic churches come across for heavenily excuse my expression on that
Ibrought my kids up in the catholic faith as my inlaws are of Irish decent and brought up within there faith
and knowing and seeing how they run there schools as well i decided by my wife teresa to go along with it
so there for i sent them to the holy cathlic church coventry road and the one on hockley brook
they turned out great nice kids or should i say men now
along with my oldest daughter whom went there for her communion and then downto the st tersa the one where i have promised to put her photo of us with the priest there this is where i first heard this latin singing i was over taken by this its beatuful
may i had also ,excuseme if i have gone off slightly course here regarding the thread
but just like to say i spent many years myself in the Aston parish church choir myself so i know how its sounds and how it goes
i mearly appointing out moderators to davis and badpenny how i under stand it
thank you, getting back to the subject of the catherine dean and tony whom i knew many years back in his younger days and manhood days i was taken a baback to see just how thin he as become i do relize he had cancer thats made him thin
especialy when all his life he was a big lad in stature and all the pints we all shared with tony down at the old smithy before the gigs
it was great to see them both together on the news
best wishes everybody Alan,, Astonian,,

Thank you for posting that Simon. We were talking about it last night. Lovely - nearly made us late for the 9 o'clock as had to listen twice!

When I used to look at Friends Reunited I noticed that there was a Tony Iommi often mentioned, on the thread for Yardley Wood School.
Would this be the same person ?

When I used to look at Friends Reunited I noticed that there was a Tony Iommi often mentioned, on the thread for Yardley Wood School.
Would this be the same person ?

Tony is of Italian heritage so there wouldn't be too many with the same name, he is definitely from Aston but I would need to root out his autobiography to see where he went to school although Yardley Wood seems a bit far away.

Simon

Back