• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hospital Street

i had rellies living at no 79 hospital street which was next to court 13 so i would think court 21 was near towards new john st west but thats only a guess...sorry i have none of cutlery buildings but will keep looking for you...oh sorry again vivienne a warm welcome to the forum if you need any help just give us a shout.....

lyn

hi lyn,
my gran was born in court 20 hospital street,would that be the next court to 21 or the other side of the road,i cant really understand
these court numbers.
thanks
lynne.

hi lynne...neither do i...think i will ask mike who is brillent with maps it he can help us out...will post a request under the maps section...

lyn

Hi all. Thought I'd have a look at the Census to see if it throws any light on the numbering sequence for Hospital Street. Having done so I'm now pretty well baffled! (I looked at the 1901 Census as my relations were by then living at 180 Hospital Street). A sample of numbering in 1901 went as follows:
26 Court 1 Hospital St
26 court 2 Hospital St
26 court 3 Hospital St through to 26 Court 12 Hospital St

This is followed by 162, 164, 166, 168, 170, 172, 174 Hospital St

These were follwed by 28 Court, 4 Hospital St through to 28 Court 20 Hospital St

These were followed by 176,178,180,182,184 and 186 Hospital St.

Not sure this helps to locate my original question as to whether 21 Court Hospital St is in any of the photos previously posted on this thread!!! Viv

hi vivienne...my pic on post 3 of court 17 is the closest so far...having read your last post i am even more confused now lol....my rellies were at 61 which was the globe inn and 79 a tad further up...thanks for all that info...

lyn

vivienne..go to the maps and mapping thread...mike has posted a map showing where the courts were...dont know what we would do with him....

lyn

thought i would post mikes map on here....

court 17 in green
court 20 in blue
court 21 in red....

thanks mike...

lyn

My wife and family lived at 6 back of 92 new summer st,
john and pemie jones.
As did my wife linda, christine, and the youngest debbie.
Regards dereklcg

hi ya moss well if someone can confirm that the street opposite the courts is william st north (and i think it is) the then yes they did and most likely went in it....i did wonder what corner the globe was and i still have not found a pic of it....i will not give up...its out there somewhere....

lyn

Pretty sure my relatives would have used the Globe!! Great to find these links, many thanks for the map too. Looking again at the 1901 Census I see that my great grandmother's occupation is given as "Keeps a shop". At that time she was living at 180 Hospital St. I wondered if that address was also a shop. She was the owner according to the Census (name of Alice Adey - maiden name Jones - married to William Adey). I remember someone in the family telling me she had a corner shop and a coal yard. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I know that they eventually moved to Lozells. Regards Viv.

Vivienne
1892-1900 no 180 was listed as Mrs Sarah Jones ,shopkeeper.
In 1903 it was William Robert Adey, shopkeeper
So no hints as to what sort of shop.
Mike

Thanks Mike that's a great result! I guess Sarah must have been Alice's mother. I think is was a grocers shop. Many thanks Viv.

did the numbers change in hospital street because i was born at 182 in 1945, they were houses then though i know that some
did convert to shops.

lynne

Hi Lynne,i would quess they were re-numbered because in 1881 town end of Hospital Street,that is south of Brearley St was called Upper Hospital Street,where the numbers started at no1 again.
Moss.

hi moss, thanks for that,i think im more confused now. im glad the old streets are there or i would be really lost, do you remember
the band of hope in hospital street,i cant find any trace of it anywhere.
thanks again
lynne.

The street incorporated upper hospital st between 1883 and 1884. Before, the numbering was consecutive, but after then it was odd one side, even numbers the other
Mike

Hi Mike,the 1881 census shows 24 New Church St (i assume this later became Tower St) Then 43 through to 62 Hospital Street.
It then goes from 3 to 20 Upper Hospital Street, next comes 78 Brearley St.
Does this make sense? If so Hospital St ran from Summer Lane to just before Brearley St,then became Upper Hospital St going north till it reached Farm St?
Moss.

Moss
I attach a not very clear 1883 map. It shows hospital st going from summer lane to Tower St, then upper hospital st to New John St West, then Lower Hospital St going further north to Farm St . although you can’t make out the writing “Lower hospital St”, the 1880 directory does give lower hospital St being at that position
Mike

hospital_st_1883.JPG

Thank's for that Mike,very interested.As Lyn has said on numerous occasions "What would we do without you".
Moss.

moss...well i for one would get very very muddled up thats for sure....thanks mike...

lyn

moss...not like me to post maps but if you havent already got it here is one you may find of interest...

lyn

Hi Lynne,i don't remember The Band of Hope, but they may have used the building that was used as The Prince of Wales youth club.
It was between Tower St and Brearley St,near The Lights pub.
Moss.

Last edited:
hi moss,that must the right place,we went to sunday school there so maybe they just used it on a sunday.
no wonder i couldnt find any trace of it,i thought i must have dreamt it.
thanks a lot,
lynne

hi folks..i spent quite some time at the library today and came away with these two great pics of hospital st...the first one is of court 29 and i have no number for the other one but it looks like everyone came out for this pic to be taken....sorry if the quality is not at its best but its not that easy to take photos of photos...

lyn

hi lyn
great photos, dont the second one look posh. i cant ever remember a detached house. i wonder if anyone will
know where abouts they were.
thanks for posting them.
lynne

Well done Lyn,more pictures of Hospital Street what a treat.I have seen a picture of Court 29 before,not that one but one taken from the street.Moss.

glad you like them moss..they were the only ones at the library that i had not seen on the forum before....

lyn..

Back