• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hockley Abbey

O

O.C.

Can anyone tell me anything about Hockley Abbey (not the church)  from about 1700c-1900 ?
Nothing on the net
Rabone Chesterman used it as a trademark on their tools
Very intresting story which I have posted as taking a few days off

Cromwell, I found this:

Dents Old and New Birmingham 1880 has a piece on Hockley Abbey. You can access the book on line free from Birmingham Libraries.

The Story of Hockley Abbey I stumbled across while doing the research on Aston and Hockley Brook. I found the story interesting and fascinating.
I have tried to research it more to no avail so I will tell you all I know.
Now this chap might have even invented the wheelbarrow.
From what I know Richard Ford whilst in the drinking house’s of Birmingham listening to his drinking buddies bragging about on how much they spent building their houses
At the same time noticing how much they spent on drink in the alehouse he decided he was not going to go down the same road as they went.
He decided he would cut the drinking out, that would save him two shillings a day and build the house of his dreams.
Not in the city or in a street like his friends but in the middle of a waste boggy land at Hockley.
He had a small business were he used his horse and cart every day and noticed the slag mountains getting bigger from slag (or dross) from the furnaces of Aston lying round in great abundance. This set him thinking, free building material, as much as I want. Each day he loaded up his horse and cart with the slag and transported it over to the boggy wasteland in Hockley and set about building the house of his dreams.
A ruined Abbey
Richard Ford built his “Abbey” and on the front he set into the front of the building the date of 1473 made out small pebbles to add to the deception.
The date should have been around 1780
Today nothing remains only a few pen and ink drawings made at the time
One is shown below

Sylvia
You are dead right the Abbey was built just below the Soho Pool on the boggy ground (Map is on Mills of Birmingham)

Hockley Abbey built 1770

.image.jpeg
Replacement image may vary from original.

Last edited by a moderator:
Postie,What an amazing photo that is, the drawing I put on was drawn at the time I just wonder why the otherside or a view like the photo was not drawn.
I looks to me that was built on at a later date, but on second thoughts it might not have been

I THERE CROM, I READ YOUR ARTICLE WITH INTREST, AND I LIKED THE DRAWING, I HAVE BEEN RESEARCHING, THE KEY HILL CEMETRY , AND I HAVE BEEN GRAVE HUNTING, AND TAKING PHOTOGRAPHS OF CERTAIN PEOPLE OF DIGNITIES, GRAVES , IT HIS CERTAINLY DIFFERENT FEELING OF AN AURO COMPARED TO OTHER CEMETRY,S I BELEIVE THERE HIS A MEMBER OF GRAND FATHER,S FAMILY BURIED IN THERE THOMAS JELF, CAME ACROSS THE CHAMBERLINS FAMILY TOMB, WHILST WAS THERE ,WHAT I WANT TO ASKED YOU WAS HOCKLEY ABBEY BUILT BEFORE THE KEY HILL CEMETRY AND CHURCH, ?, keep researching crom , we all enjoy your stories , have a good day, astonian,;;;;

Astonian
The Abbey was built 1770
So I should imagine that its been their a long time , I have it in a book somewere so I will sort in out to make sure a bit later .
Glad you like all the info makes it all worthwhile to get feedback

Astonian, I am getting mixed up with Bull St the Quaker Cemetery as I have relative buried in the vaults 1784 but will check

Hockley Abbey 1840, top middle
2nd Map of 1950 Blue Dot is roughly were Hockley Abbey was
3rd Map 2003

Damn! I've seen pictures of the Abbey, including the one posted by postie, somewhere and I can't for the life of me dig them out.

What a shame Oisin as I would like to see any new info on the Abbey

There was a pub named the Abbey Arms at 31 Lodge Road, and an Abbey Tavern at 27 Key Hill as late as 1939. I will come back later. when I have looked up other sources.
Peter

my attention has just been drawn to this thread about hockley abbey..think this is silmilar to the pic that has already been posted..will go and read the info

image.jpeg

(Replacement image, may vary from original).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hockley Abbey.—Near to, and overlooking Boulton's Pool, in the year 1799 there was a piece of waste land, which being let to Mr. Richard Ford, one of the mechanical worthies of that period, was so dealt with as to make the spot an attraction for every visitor. Mr. Ford employed a number of hands, and some of them he observed were in the habit of spending a great part of their wages and time in dissipation. By way of example to his workmen he laid aside some 12/-to 15/-a week for a considerable period, and when trade was occasionally slack with him, and he had no other occupation for them, he sent his horse and cart to Aston Furnaces for loads of "slag," gathering in this way by degrees a sufficient quantity of this strange building material for the erection of a convenient and comfortable residence. The walls being necessarily constructed thicker than is usual when mere stone or brick is used, the fancy took him to make the place represent a ruined building, which he christened "Hockley Abbey," and to carry out his deceptive notion the date 1473 was placed in front of the house, small pebbles set in cement being used to form the figures. In a very few years by careful training nearly the whole of the building was overgrown with ivy, and few but those in the secret could have guessed at the history of this ruined "abbey." For the house and some fifteen acres of land £100 rent was paid by Mr. Hubert Gallon, in 1816 and following years, exclusive of taxes, and by way of comfort to the heavily-burdened householders of to-day, we may just add that, in addition to all those other duties loyal citizens were then called upon to provide for the exigencies of the Government, the parochial taxes on those premises from Michaelmas, 1816, to Michaelmas, 1817, included two church rates at 30s. each, three highway rates at 30s. each, and thirty-six levies for the poor at 30s. each—a total of £61 10s. in the twelve months.
Excerpt from Showells Dictionary of Birmingham

thanks shirley... great info....i wonder if rabones changed to rabone chestermans...i only say that because i seem to recall a firm of that name...

lyn

Samuel Galton who built Warley Abbey c1800 is said to have named his house copying Hockley Abbey because Warley was not a religious house either.

thanks david...and a big thanks to you shortie..what wonderful pics..i shall save them i think...what a pity its all gone...here is another map provided by mikejee just to confirm the spot where the abbey once stood...

thanks everyone this has been most interesting...

lyn

Thank you for the pics, Shortie. Its good to have that detail.
I wonder if anyone lived there? I tried an address search on FMP, but the search engine does not recognise Hockley Abbey in 1841 or 1851.

Thanks for the map, Lyn. We posted almost concurrently. I have now carried out an address search for Whitemore but without sucess.

ok shirley..this is turning into a most interesting thread..i love it when all the detectives on the forum come out to help...

lyn

William West's History, Topography and Directory of Warwickshire states that the abbey was erected by an ingenious mechanic of Birmingham who was presented with a gold medal by the Society for Encouragement of the Arts for his invention of a one-wheeled carriage made entirely of iron. "It has been observed he had a number of hands under him , several of which expended 9 or 10 shillings a week at the alehouse . he , who was also a journeyman, instead of drinking , laid by 2 shillings a day ; having done so and having occasional use of a horse and cart, he engaged the men, when at leisure, to go to Aston furnace and bring back large masses of scoria , termed slag or dross, produced from the blast furnace. With these savings he erected the above building , to represent ruins, and to increase the deception, placed the date of 1473 , formed of small pebble stones, in front of the house. It is now overgrown and inhabited by Mr Muntz."
I am not quite clear as to what he did with the slag – recovered some iron ? or used it for roadbuilding ? Mr G.F. Muntz was a wire manufacturer and roller of copper with a works at 65 Water St
Mike

That's brilliant Mike. I agree with Lyn when she speaks about detectives coming out to help, that's one of the best things about this forum, we all learn from others. For anyone who is interested, the pics I posted came from the book Handsworth, Hockley and Handsworth Wood, by Peter Drake.

Shortie

Lyn, J.Rabone & Sons - Hockley Abbey Works - Whitmore St. - Hockley. They amalgamated with Chestermans of Sheffield in 1984 to form 'Rabone - Chesterman', now part of 'Dial Engineering' with 'Stanley Tools', another well known tool supplier. They still use the'Three Triangles' of Hockley Abbey as a trademark. Don Clive

Back